iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1 1/4 or 1 1/2 bands

Started by Hugh Darty, December 28, 2015, 09:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugh Darty

hey guys, just bought a new super hyd LS 40 Woodmizer 47 hp diesel. It came with 1 1/4 7 degree bands. Sawing exclusively white oak quarter sawn. Have been disappointed in saw performance so far and tried the turbo blades today, which didn't do as well as the 7 degree. I sawed for years in the 80's and nineties and went to 1 1/2 back then. Seems like the blades back then cut much faster but that was 17 years ago. Any info appreciated.
Hugh

4x4American

1-1/2" .045" Kasco 4° is what's next on my list to try for hardwoods. 

That's what was recommended to me by a world class repeating champion blade professional for my Yanmar diesel powered 36hp WM LT 40 super hyd
Boy, back in my day..

jaygtree

1 1/4inch ten degree 7/8 pitch timberwolf blades cut red oak real nice with my 13 hp mill.  jg
i thought i was wrong once but i wasn't.   atv, log arch, chainsaw and ez boardwalk jr.

MartyParsons

Hello,
Sounds like you need to see if there is anything else causing issues. Not sure where to start with the information you have posted.

In my opinion the increased performance of a 1 1/2" blade is over rated. Very few of our customers here in my area are using 1 1/2" blades. Most production operations are sawing with the 7/39 degree turbo. LT70 operations are using the .055 thick blade the smaller mills are using the .045.
Some of these larger operations have full log debarkers but only a small percent.

Can you give us more information on what performance you are expecting and not reaching?

Are your White Oak logs seasoned or fresh cut?

Just trying to get some more information to be helpful.

Marty

"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Dave Shepard

I ran a few 1.5 bands that I was given, and really liked them. They were 13°, so not for oak. I've been told to avoid running them when the logs could be frozen. I've sawn a bunch of white oak with the 1.25 .045 Turbo 7s with a33 HP Kubota. It saws great. I run .055s on my 55 HP mill, but haven't sawn oak yet. I would look for a different problem, like Marty said. You should have no trouble with that setup.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

terrifictimbersllc

Sawed out a timber frame this past spring, 150 white oak logs sometimes frozen.    Used 4 degree Woodmizer .045/1-1/4" with about .025 set, I sharpen myself and have 42 hp diesel.  Everyone including the timber planer guy was very pleased with the performance. My feeling with sawing wo logs like these is that both 7 and 4 start out the same when sharp but 7 loses it much more quickly than 4 (slight crown across the sawn surface, or waves beginning at knots) as dulling progresses.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

YoungStump

The key to getting maximum performance out of a 1.5" band is keeping the blade body flat. 1.25" bands are not as wide so they are not quite as critical to keep flat, this is why at times a 1.25" band will seem to outperform a 1.5".

If kept flat with a band roller a 1.5" band will outperform a 1.25" band all else being equal.
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

JB Griffin

1 1/4" .042" 8° Cooks Super Sharps and nuthin else. Cuts seasoned white oak and hickory great. Runnin a Lt40 hyd 33hp Kubota
Tried the WM 7° Turbo and they ain't no better than the Cooks SS especially at $8 more a pop.

At work we use 1 1/2" .050" 7° Lenox on a Baker 3650E, works pretty good, cutting 5-7Mbf a shift.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Peter Drouin

I tried the 1 1/2 did not like them. They would catch all kinds of bark and stuff and get caught behind the blade covers. I went back to the 1 1/4. All are 7°
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

sandsawmill14

i dont have a wm mill but run wm blades on all 3 mills  and have tried the 1 1/2 blades on the b20 and the s&w and went back to the 1 1/4.  the 1 1/2 blade are fine but they will not solve any problems. i couldnt tell any difference between the 2. w/o is hard to saw for me i had just as soon saw hickory  only 200-300 bdft per band where in r/o,beech and other hardwoods i will get 800-1000 before the blade is dull. going to .055 blades will make much more difference than the 1 1/2 will also a wider tooth spacing might cut faster with that much hp but dont know just guessing on that part. you can only saw faster until the gullet is full regardless of hp once dust starts going above or below blade it will not saw as good as it should. also the wider the cut the slower the cut (obviously) but its the sawdust removal that holds you back not the hp. on the s&w has 30 hp electric and it will cut a 22" cut as fast as a 16" cut but it will fly through 12"  :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Hugh Darty

Just got resharpened blades back from a friend who has a bms 200 woodmizer sharpener and wow what a difference. He has a 10 degree wheel so after two sharpenings my blades are now 10 instead of 7 degrees. Cutting much faster and easier so hopefully problem solved. Will oder 10 degree next order!
Hugh

Thank You Sponsors!