iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill gas

Started by Bruno of NH, July 09, 2015, 10:53:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Hi Folks
I'm going to start running this gas in my Honda on my sawmill i don't want to deal with the ethanol based gas problems .
I'm also going to use it in all my other small engines chainsaw , brush cutter , weed trimmer , and mower .
Mixed with oil in the ones that need it .
Jim/Bruno

Its not cheap but getting the mill engine worked on won't be either .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

beenthere

Bruno
Do you get that locally, and what does it run a gallon?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bruno of NH

Mr. BT
I got the gas from my building supplier they also have a small engine sales division .
They stock it because of all the problems with the pump gas in small engines .
I paid $65.00 for 5gal. It sounds like a lot but what i have paid in repairs the last few years because of the ethanol its worth it for me .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

schmism

there is a website that lists (mostly independent) gas stations in your area that have ethanol free gas.
http://pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html

in addition to this,  you can go to your local small airport and buy av gas that is ethanol free. 
if you happen to live close to a race track (dirt track,circle track, drag stip etc) most also feature ethanol free gas.

av gas (100LL) goes for $4-6 it varies widely from airport to airport.   I have a 1.5 dollar swing in price in a 50 mile radius of my place here in central IL.
http://www.airnav.com/fuel/local.html

race track fuel (basicly the same as av gas) is usually $6+  unless your  buying methonal.
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

Bruno of NH

Thanks for the info  :) :)
I will check that stuff out .
It will save some money .
Jim/Bruno

Magicman

I have never put ethanol gas in any of my small engines.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

1ruralmailman

you will be amazed at how much better all your small engines will run.we have fed them this ethanol crud for so long that we forget how nice a small engine can run.i run all my saws,weed wackers,mowers,and mill on non ethanol 93 octane from the small station in town.was amazed that after a half tank my saw started to idle correctly after fighting with it for four years.it will sit there and purr as long as you want,pick it up and hit the throttle and away it goes to work.no skip,hiccup,or anything like that.

Ox

Ethanol should be considered a four letter cussin' word unless it's paired with beer or (insert favorite alcoholic libation).  Biggest darned scam in a long time.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Nomad

None of my small engines get anything with Ethanol poured into them.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, 1ruralmailman.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

The new Ethanol gas sure will sink a foam carb float....

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

jaygtree

most marinas also sell ethanol free gas.  it may be 87octane though.
i thought i was wrong once but i wasn't.   atv, log arch, chainsaw and ez boardwalk jr.

ladylake

Back when I ran my 27hp Kohler I ran ethanol all the time with no problems but my mill didn't sit around for months at a time which will cause trouble with ethanol gas . Strictly 91 non ethanol in my chain saws.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

taylorsmissbeehaven

X2 on the availability of non ethanol gas. In my neck of the woods, more and more stations are selling it. I do not use it in any small engines, especially the two strokes! Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Brad_bb

There are some gas stations that still carry ethanol free gas on a certain pump.  As mentioned by someone else, I also use this website to find those gas stations"
http://pure-gas.org/

There aren't any around me here in IL, but on my trips to IN I will will my jugs with what I need for the next few months. 

It's also good practice empty the fuel and run the engine dry on your 2 cycle stuff like gas trimmers, and chainsaws, when not using them for long periods like winter.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

AnthonyW

Try this on for size. I use nothing but pump gas in all my engines. I have not had a problem yet. I buy 9 gallons at a time (two five gallon cans) and they last me a few months. In the sawmill, generator, and trimmer I always use red Stabil, since they don't run often. They are always left topped off. I have had only one problem since the change to ethanol gas and it had nothing to do with ethanol. The problem was water in the gas and due to a leaking (cracked on top) gas cap.

I found the trick to gas storage is to keep the fuel in non-porous containers (ie., metal not plastic) and to keep them in a fairly temperature stable environment. I keep gas in metal gas cans, not plastic, and in the garage out of the sun and out of the shed. Plastic is actually porous and can breathe (ie., pull water vapor in directly through the material). I just ran out of the racing fuel I had run in my chainsaw. I have had it for 6 years. The rules stipulated you must buy the fuel at the track and take home whatever you have left. The saw is stored dry to prevent the oil and gas from separating and gumming up the bottom of the pick-up tube. Once saw is filled and the carb primed, it starts on the first or second pull.

Did you notice Bruno's $65 gas can is metal? Other than shipping, there is a reason for it. Bruno, when you are finished with the can, I could use another.

On the note of stabilizer, It doesn't matter what fuel you use (with ot without), it can turn to gum and/or varnish. My neighbor bought a new snowblower two years ago. I went over to congratulate him on the purchase and remind him to use a stabilizer in the fuel.

All the pure gas listings in NH are racing fuel or at an airport.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

Bruno of NH

The problems I had are not water related .
All the fuel lines get rotted out Because of the ethanol .
Jim /Bruno

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: Ox on July 09, 2015, 06:07:58 PM
Biggest darned scam in a long time.
It's a slightly less annoying scam than the global warming scam that was used to force it on us.

Around here, 90 octane gas is what is most common so that's what I get.  Runs about 25% higher than the gasenol.

1-2 Tree

My alter ego or in real life when I have to go to work . What I really do is work for a combustion consulting firm . We have a laboratory where we test fuels and additives.  We run dynos on engines for hours on end to test fuel additives for stability and flash points                                                                                                                 So what does it mean ethanol is a fuel with less BTUs available for engine to use so a injection system will push more fuel to allow the engine to get enough  fuel but a carburetor will not adjust itself to correct for the missing value . So if your a subsidized corn grower I probably just *pithed in your cheerios.                                                                                                            Ethanol is a chemical that will absorb water. So most fuel we test has 7to 12%etahanol a simple test is to put some fuel is a small jar add known amount of water and the ethanol will combine with the water and you can calculate the volume of ethanol from the total with the water.   So I have found that Sea Foam does a great job keep fuel from separating                                                                                                          I rather make saw dust. But I work for a wise man and one of my favorite quote from him is Smart people make money from the dumb things our government makes do .  Tree huggers beware I have a chain saw and a sawmill and your butt is dust lol !     
I like the smell of saw dust in the mornings !I have a crescent wrench and I know how to use it ! The best hammer I have ever owned !

Magicman

Thank you 1-2 Tree.   8)

elk42

1-2 Tree

What makes SEA FOAM work.
   I looked up the MSDS .
  50% Pale oil  ( Diesel )
  30% Naphtha
  20% IPA (isopropyl alcohol )

Will it form a film on top to prevent evaporation.
And does it increase BTU value.

ps sorry about that got it mixed with STA_BIL it is.

95% kerosene
5%  additives
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: elk42 on July 11, 2015, 06:24:17 PM
1-2 Tree

What makes SEA FOAM work.
   I looked up the MSDS .
  95% Pale oil  ( Diesel )
  30% Naphtha
  20% IPA (isopropyl alcohol )

Will it form a film on top to prevent evaporation.
And does it increase BTU value.
Maybe it works because its ingredients = 145% instead of 100% ;)   
I didn't know it had propanol in it.  That's very interesting.  I guess that extra carbon (as opposed to the ethanol) makes a big difference. 

deadfall

I just got bit for the first time.  Never ran anything but pump gas until my one year old Husqvarna 460's pickup hose melted.  I have an eight year old 460 that is still cruising along.  I don't get it. Anyway, now I buy all my small engine gas at the marina. 
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

barbender

I'm thankful that non-ethanol gasoline is widely available in my area. The demand is there from outboards and snowmobiles.
Too many irons in the fire

1-2 Tree

Pale oils are not all the same some are highly refined and some are just kerosene but from what I understand some are hydrogenated and will attract and bond with other molecules . I don't know the exact make up of the product but I have seen the stability test and cleaning results .And after watching various products preform its all I use but I avoid ethanol in my small engines . The propanol is produced in refineries it is a petro chemical product . I am not a chemist but I have access to a gentleman that worked with Howard Teller the father of the hydrogen bomb.  But those physics are way above my head .I set up the dynos and servo controls for the dynos and sweep the floors and brush the toilets !!     
I like the smell of saw dust in the mornings !I have a crescent wrench and I know how to use it ! The best hammer I have ever owned !

Thank You Sponsors!