iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pulling logs from the mississippi

Started by blame, June 04, 2009, 02:47:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blame

Whats involved in legally pulling drift wood logs from a river?  anybody know?  I've spotted a few that would make some nice boards. who would i contact to find out about them?

thanks
Blame

fishpharmer

You might start with the US Army Corp of Engineers.   Keep us posted.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Fla._Deadheader

Corp of injunears would be the worst place to start. Find the State DEP and ask around there.

IF there is any program at all, they would know about it.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ron Scott

Also check with your state's Dept. of Natural Resources. Permits and approvals are usually needed to remove any woody debris and submerged logs.
~Ron

Banjo picker

So I guess we are saying that my ole saying  "You can allways ask for forgiveness, but you might never get permission."  is out the window ..   :D ;D ;) :) :(  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

fishpharmer

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on June 04, 2009, 09:19:28 AM

Corp of injunears would be the worst place to start. Find the State DEP and ask around there.

IF there is any program at all, they would know about it.

Or you might not.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Sawyerfortyish

Contact that guy on the axmen show. He'll show ya how it's done  :-\. A captains hat and a barg with a moter that never works is all ya need and bam your in business. Permits and permission didn't stop him. But if have any problems don't tell em ya heard it here  ;D.

Gary_C

Just go ahead and do it and grab a couple of old tires and some other junk you are sure to find and if anyone questions you just say you are doing your part to clean up the river. But pick up the trash first and keep it with you.  ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

WH_Conley

Is that like keeping beer cans and hot dog packages around the slab pile when you burn? ;D
Bill

Banjo picker

I live in a dry county  :(...no beer cans around my burn pile.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

LeeB

I didn't think there was such a thing in Mississippi.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WH_Conley

Guess maybe ya can't burn at all then. :(
Bill

PineNut

Quote from: LeeB on June 05, 2009, 09:36:35 PM

Only enforced when the sheriff needs a charge for troublemakers. Did that on my place once.

Maineloggerkid

I am doing that wiht a local river right now. I have to fill out permits for local authorities, and go to the Army Corp. of Engineers. DOing some more ground work right now, actually.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

WMcGinn

I saw the Axmen show with the guys pulling those big logs in from the river.  Quite an adventure.... And I think you have to curse at your help a lot. 
There's plenty of room for all God's creatures...... right next to the Mashed potatoes.

Banjo picker

Quote from: LeeB on June 05, 2009, 09:36:35 PM

You are correct.  But there is more money in it when its a sick bird.  (ill eagle)   ;)  Tim

blame

well i contacted the department of natural resources and am awaiting for them to call me back wont know anything else to they do thanks for the help guys

Banjo picker

Quote from: Banjo picker on June 04, 2009, 11:48:19 PM
So I guess we are saying that my ole saying  "You can allways ask for forgiveness, but you might never get permission."  is out the window ..   :D ;D ;) :) :(  Tim

You may never get said afore mentioned permission.   ;D    I won't get too deep in gooberment stuff so I don't get sent to the woodshed.  BUT   an ex......  I was having a problem with racoons eating my cat food on the front porch in the swing no less.... So i bought a live trap for about 60 doll hairs.... ;D  Caught about a half a dozen of them little critters and turned them loose about 10 miles from here on a wildlife managment area.. ( I am getting soft in my old age...I would have just shot them a few years back.----which is what the gooberment evidently wants. ) The wild life officers for the area found out and called me and told me that it I was caught releasing any more racoons I could possibly get fined.   Go figure,,,, its a wild life management area.   Land that the gooberment TOOK  from local residents when they built the PORK barrel Tenn Tom waterway.  I caught another one about a week ago ... I released it about 50 yards out of the management area.   :D ;)  I wonder where it went.?  Tim

cheyenne

Gobblement Thinking.....Hey there's a guy down on the river pulling out logs. He's removing hazards to navigation, cleaning up the waterway, reclaiming a lost resource, putting people to work & God forbid he makes a Dollar...... Lets make him buy permits, be certified, insured to the hilt, OSHA complient, federally licenced,state licenced, county licenced, boat registration,diver certifacation, Coast Guard certification, the list is endless. I'd just keep pulling logs till I got the heat. Don't go asking questions you won't like the answers.......Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Thank You Sponsors!