iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bought another mill

Started by Nomad, February 13, 2012, 07:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

Up til now I've been getting by with a Norwood LM2000, using a Lucas 10-30 for the really big stuff and a slabbing attachment when needed.  But lately I've been doing jobs just a bit too big for the Norwood and my lazy self.   

I got an opportunity to pick up a lightly used Lt50 (with remote,) along with a twin blade edger.  Also got a CBN grinder to compliment my Cat Claw grinder and setter.  As well as a few assorted LogRite tools too!  The mill and edger have a bit of rust, but nothing simple corrosion control won't take care of.
     Needless to say, I'm a bit stoked about this!!! 8) 8)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

customsawyer

Congrats. If I didn't know better I would think you are trying to run me out of bus. ;D What engine came on the LT50? I would be willing to come down and show you how to use it. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

slider

i'd be more than stoked. tell jake to pick me up on the way down.  al
al glenn

Magicman

Looks like some nice SYP logs, but where is the LT50  ???   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

You big guys make a little guy like me jealous (big from a milling standpoint, not body size.  Body size, I can hold my own  ;D).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Nomad

Jake, run YOU out of business?  :D  I think even once I get used to that mill, you'd still cut circles around me even with my own mill!  It's an '08, with the 51 horse Cat on it.  (I'm not crazy about that motor, but we'll see.)  Got a total of 56 hours on it.
     I wasn't in the market for an edger, but it was a package deal and the price was right.  The edger has a total of 17 hours on it.
     And, even better, the whole deal was right down here in St Augustine.  No road trip!
     MM, some of those logs had been down for a long time and were in worse shape than they look in the pic.  All the ones with bark were full of sand, too.  Those piles are about half of what I did on that job, with the LM2000.  (That's why I now have an LT50)
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Chuck White

Congratulations on the '50, nomad.  8)

Quite a change from the LM2000 to the LT50!  :o

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Meadows Miller

Gday

Nomad Top Show Mate  :) ;) ;D ;D 8) Now where may I have seen the combo you got a great deal on it if its the one I am thinking of ;)  :o :) :)

You know we wanna see pics now Mate  ;)

Regards Chris 
4TH Generation Timbergetter

DR_Buck

Quote from: Magicman on February 13, 2012, 07:56:20 PM

It came with the cloaking device option.   He just hasn't figured out how to turn it off yet.  ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: DR_Buck on February 14, 2012, 06:14:32 AM
Quote from: Magicman on February 13, 2012, 07:56:20 PM

It came with the cloaking device option.   He just hasn't figured out how to turn it off yet.  ;D
Like to wrap one of those around my tummy!
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Norm

Buck

Nice! Congrats! In regards to those rusty blades in the other thread. Run em! Add them to some more blade inventory and saw away.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

thecfarm

Is this #3 mill? Now no log is safe from you. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fishpharmer

Congrats nomad! A Woodmizer and a Lucas!

I've heard thats an outstanding combination for a portable milling business.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Nomad

Thanks for the congrats, guys.  No pics just yet.  It's still resting quietly at the place I bought it.  I'll bring it home day after tomorrow; I got some work being done here tomorrow and don't want it in the way.  Then I want to clean it up a bit before I make formal introductions.

Quote from: thecfarm on February 14, 2012, 07:19:05 AM
Is this #3 mill? Now no log is safe from you. ;D

I'm starting a collection.  I want to see if maybe that'll be the next big fad. ;D
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

customsawyer

If you are in a buying mood I have two LT70s I'll sell you and two edgers. Will make a great package.  ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bibbyman

Congratulations on the new to you Wood-Mizer mill and edger
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

Quote from: customsawyer on February 14, 2012, 09:48:54 AM
If you are in a buying mood I have two LT70s I'll sell you and two edgers. Will make a great package.  ;D

Would you take the Norewood in on trade?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

customsawyer

www.thecustomsawyer.com

customsawyer

I have received a couple of pm's asking why I was selling out. I guess I should clear things up in that I am not selling out but if someone wants to write a check big enough that I could replace both my mills with new ones then I am ready. ;D
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Nomad

I'm told Jake is a "Big Log Whisperer," but I bet it's been so long since he's run a manual mill he'd probably hurt hisself.  On the other hand, he's awful good with a chainsaw.  That's sorta like a manual mill, ain't it? 
     And I didn't have nothin to do with any PMs asking him about selling out, either!  Right now I couldn't write a check like that anyway, even if he gave me a bonus on the Norwood.  So... sorry Jake; I guess I'm just a "wanna be" collector :D. 
     And even an octopus couldn't use 5 sawmills!  Never mind 3 edgers too.
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Thank You Sponsors!