iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ladies and Gents-- Tie on Yer Bibs--Part 2--Part 3

Started by Fla._Deadheader, February 08, 2005, 08:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

I'm gonna start feedin the Sawmill and Log pics to Y'all real slow like.
  Don't wanna be held responsible for no nine-hunnert and eleben phone calls. ;D ;D

If I can get the text and Pics to line up like I want, I will try to make this a show & Tell. Now, Y'all know how my show & tells get haywired, sometimes.  ::) ;D ;D

Let's see If this can get done.

Are all Y'all ready with them Bibs tied up good and snug ???  Here we go  ;D ;D ;D ;D

This is the first stop at a Serradera (Sawmill)

The Husk?? is pretty simple. Just a motor, 2 wheels and a blade. The Sawyer Dude rides the carriage and saws the logs ??

The next pic is their drying rack and planing operation.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D  This is about ole DanG's speed  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

This pic is their log yard. ::)

I have one other pic on the Floppy that I can't get to open, showing cants laying all over with fence wire in them. Oughta sell 'em a Detector, ya think ???

They rarely use blade lube. Their logs come as air-cooled.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

The next stop along the way was a little nicer. They saw only Melina, a wood similar to soft Maple, and Teak.

Their Drying Rack is more like our lumber yards. All laying flat and sorted.

The next stop, we didn't find anyone around. We had to give the Toyota a drink of Agua, and this log was just layin there, soooo, Heeeeeeeerre's VICTOR.  ;D

End of part 1. To be Continued:

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Furby

sawwood

Great Pictures Herold. Sure look like a neat place
to go. I sure did like the picture of the guy in only
t shirt. its 14 degs and snow on the ground. Will
check back to see more of your photos.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Percy

Heya FDH.
Those first pics remind me of my place, but that ones a little more organized :D :D :D :D So issit warmer than Florida??Cant be more humid than Florida, cannit??? Are you gonna live there permanent like?? From the look of the roof construction, they obviously dont get any snow ;D. Is Homey makin the move or are you gonna put him up for adoption// :D :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

sandmar

OK FDH.....you can't just give us a taste and then a dry spell,,,keep them pictures moving  man!...you are killing me  :D

Sandmar...thanks for the pics.

Tobacco Plug

Thanks for the pics, FDH.  The one of the first mill's drying racks are just like the ones described in the lumber drying instructions in Joseph Moxon's Mechanic Exercises or the Doctrine of Handy-Works, written in 1703.  This is one of the books that Roy Underhill is always showing on the Woodwright's Shop TV show.l :)
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

Fla._Deadheader

Part 2.

We traveled from Abangarres along hwy 1 to the turn off for Nicoya. As soon as we got across the bridge we turned right, and immediately saw a whack of lumber stacked in a yard. We pulled in and met the owner. He has a shop FULL of Machinery "From the USA". It was all Jet brand machinery. He had Planers, Molders, Table Saws, etc. He was proud as a Peacock.

He makes Furniture, and I made a deal with him to buy unfinished Chairs and Tables. Most of the Chairs show the Spanish Design influence. These are made from Teak Trees from his own lot, next to the house. He had Adirondack Chairs on the front Patio. ::) ;D

We hit the road again, looking for another Sawmill.

Found this interesting looking place. Even had a few logs laying around.  ;D

The Dude standing on the Carriage has a lever in his hands. He uses it to advance the log toward the blade. He also ratchets the headblocks back, away from the blade.
  The other Dude, in the forefront of the Pic, is the offbearer. I watched him pick up a big Flitch, and his sneakers went flat. He hobbled over to the pile and set-'er down. The guy nearest the mill is the slab and edgings man. That's all he handles.  ;D Must be a promotion job 'er something.  ;D :D :D
  Here's some of their logs.

And their drying rack.

I didn't take a lot of pics of Sawmills. It's kinda like, "ya see one, ya seen 'em all, almost. ::) ;D

This next mill had a good operation, for a third world country. Everything under one roof and swept clean after each sawing session. We caught 'em sawing fence wire. They was Pithed. >:( :D :D ;D

They DID have some impressive logs and boards, though. :D  I was told these are Purple Heart logs.

This is the last mill I took pics of. It was getting near quitting time, and I wanted to get pics of some of the boards. DanG IT. No more Floppy's. We had to make a run 4 miles away to hopefully find some Floppy's for the camera. Found 4 :o ???  Just discovered that Floppys are getting extinct. Guess I gotta hit Wally World and stock up. Ain't buying no camera. >:(
  Ennyhoo, Here's the last mill.

Wanna see some Boards ????????????? ;D ;D ;D ;D
These things are everywhere. Notice, no SPLITS ???  ;D ;D ;D

Here's another. It's about 24" across. ;D ;D

OK, OK, here's some boards. ::)  Crotches, anyone ??? How about 39" wide, 11' 2" long and 2" thick. I won't disclose the prices. Y'all won't sleep tonight.  :D :D :D :D :D

These chunks lay all over. They stack lumber on these "Culls". ;D :D :D :D

They have "real" boards, too. ::) ;D  Only blemish is sticker stripes.  ;) :D

Tomorrow night, Furniture

First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

Pretty nice stuff there Harold - the only problem is that you keep showing these pictures and imigration is going to be swamped!  ::)

Of course, we get enought people down here and we can have our own piggy roast. We might even get Jeff to come down.

Honest Jeff, I'll assign a work to you to keep the snakes off....

Fred

So, how did I end up here anyway?

sandmar

CULLS!..............oh Mamacita.......how sweet! How much of those CULLS can you get on the pontoon FDH? I don't have very good sea legs but will help you unload when you get back for PART of those CULLS  ;D

Sandmar

Fla._Deadheader

When these guys saw into fence wire, they toss the whole cant :o :o

I been thinkin REAL hard about taking a Peterson and gathering up those "cull" cants. I would bet I could go to a boss and for nearly nothing, clean up their yard.  Gotta study the situation a little harder.  ;D ;D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

chet

Great pics, keep um comin'. Did you happen to see how any of dem logs were hauled to da mills?
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

crtreedude

Here you go - a picture on how they get the trees - at times:

Unfortunately - the idiots who were doing it worked in the wetseason - which means they tore up everything - it was on someone else's land.

They use a bulldozer to drive the logs up on the bed of the truck, and push the truck out with a bulldozer.  :o

Fla._Deadheader

Logs are always hauled longways on Semi-trailers. Might be whole bed length, might be cut and doubled up. Saw several loads on the roads. Ya gotta be there to appreciate how dangerous the drivers are.  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Fla._Deadheader

Gonna try this new pitchur postin thingy. Here's sum Firnatyur. :D

Fred and Amy's Server.

Fred and Amy's Front Door

Fred and Amy's kitchen cabinet

Solid Wood Table

Nother Solid Wood Table---Heck, all this stuff is Solid ::)

Nice Coffee Table

Chair from a tree

A Bar

A Bed Frame

A Chair

My Favorite Piece

My Computer guy is working on a Floppy that wont open. I will add more pics as I get them.

Hope Y'all enjoyed the show.

First, it is ridiculed;

tnlogger

harold mighty fine looking pictures shore would be nice to have a house furnished like that . thanks keep um coming son
                                       gene
gene

sandmar

thanks FDH-----you had a great trip,you must have come away with LOTS of ideas.......keep sharing please  ;)

Sandmar

Ianab

Harold

Excellent stuff :)
I know how much of a mission posting all the pics of a road trip is ;)
About your problems with floppy disks.. there is a good reason they are becoming extinct  :D
This is my Christmas present from Lil.. worth about 100 floppy disks  ;)

But I do like the pictures you are posting, the solid wood furniture is cool, thats the sort of stuff I want to make from the wood I've got in the shed now  :) I can see that bar top as a new breakfast bar in my kitchen already  :D

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Norm

Great pics Harold. Never seen teak before, pretty stuff. :)

crtreedude

I am not sure you have seen any yet. I see Guanacaste wood, perhaps some balsamo,  the door of our home has maybe 10 different kinds of wood:

Spanish Cedar,
Balsamo
Tempisque
Corteza

Fla._Deadheader

Fred, I've been all over the internet and can not find the book (arboles maderables de costa rica). I even went to inbio website and they do not list it???????? I need two copies.
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

Weird, I am trying to reach their site, and it doesn't appear to be working.  I'll check later today.

crtreedude

Okay, their site is back up - I think you broke it Harold.  :o

Here is the link to the ordering place for the book. You better get in there and order before a bunch of FF people order it first! (It was on the 4 or 5 page, there was a paging button down at the bottom).

http://www.inbio.ac.cr/EN/compras/carrito/detalle_producto.phtml?81

crtreedude

By the way Harold, I forgot to ask - why do you need two?  ??? Are you afraid you will forget to tie on your bib tightly?   :D

Fla._Deadheader

Got a buyer BEGGING for one.  ::) :D :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

Well, since Harold is falling down on the job on posting messages, having created addicts of you all, I was down on the finca yesterday and Hector's new table is almost done.

It is made of Spanish Cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!