iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Build done, time for questions

Started by ktm250rider, December 20, 2018, 11:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ktm250rider

So I got my build done earlier this year and have more questions on cutting lumber than design/build.  Just for background on the build I based the design on many of the mills seen on the site.  Currently my total cost is just under $2 grand. 
The bed was made from 2x4x.25 with 1x1x.25 angle for the track.  This steel was purchased new, and just for info, rectangle steel comes in 24' sections, angle only 20'sections.  I would have realized that sooner if I looked at my slip.
I got lucky with the carriage steel and picked that up new off the supply yards cutoff rack.
I found a 22hp Lifan engine on CL and got lucky with a scraped battery at my transfer station.  Im using 158" Woodmizer blades.  I wanted to use an electric clutch for blade engagement but settled with a mechanical lever with a pulley.  Works good but I need to add adjustment to tighten the drive belts a little.  Head raise is using a boat winch but my first upgrade will be to motorize that. 
I think that covers the overall design and build so that brings me to my first question.  Oh, this was a winter project for something to do, besides, who doesn't want or need a sawmill.  I had a water tank but never got it plumbed correctly.  After much reading, I started using a couple squirts of diesel.  This seemed to work but can you put too much on the blade?  Do I need a lube tank?  Im not cutting for production, just personal use.

thecfarm

I suppose you could put too much diesel on. Just a drop every few seconds works for me. I would not want it dripping off the blade. I have 2 shutoffs on my  gas can. One to regulate the drip and one to shut off when I'm not sawing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SawyerTed

To lube or not is like asking Ford or Chevy.  There are lots of views and thoughts on lube with water and detergent or diesel or .....

The question revolves around what species you saw and whether the blade is heating excessively.  The lube not only cleans the blade but also cools the blade.  Most discussions I've seen here are about pitch build up on the blade.  My experience tells me that cooling the blade is as important as cleaning the blade.  These two are very much connected - given a sharp clean blade, it will cut cooler than a sharp dirty blade.  A sharp dirty blade will heat and become a dull dirty blade quickly.

I said all that to say, experiment with water and detergent AND use diesel until you come up with a combination  what works for your sawing.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

jwlogdog

Diesel is good if you dont mind your lumber smelling like a peterbilt. I saw mostly pine and i found that one quart of pinesol to a gal. of water will clean and cool the blade without the diesel smell.

thecfarm

Not trying to get the diesel-water debate going.
I built this Woman Cave for the wife.

I used diesel for the lube.Now she has a nose on her that 4 bloodhoods combined has.  ;D  If that lumber would of smelled like a peterbilt I would of heard all about it.
Now if someone was sawing lumber to make furniture out of and was concerned about diesel affecting the stain,I have no idea about that. Furniture I do not build,But a Woman Cave is fine. ;D
It's only a drop every few seconds.,if that much,is how I use it.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ktm250rider

"To lube or not is like asking Ford or Chevy. "  Yeah that's what ive been finding with all the reading.  Im sawing 98% pine.  I have a nice oak log that I just cant cut into firewood just yet.  Im saving that until I get all the kinks worked out on the mill.
Not knowing anything Im using Woodmizer .035x 1-1/4 10° blades.  I also have an .042 to try out.
I did notice when using the diesel, I could "hear" a difference.  I would add a couple squirts while the blade was spinning and the pitch would change (boy theres gotta be a couple puns in there).  I also threw the blade off the wheels a couple times.  Not sure if my tracking needs a litter more adjustment or if it was too much.
Im off for the holidays so ill get to put some good time into cutting.

Magicman

Quote from: thecfarm on December 21, 2018, 07:33:57 AMI built this Woman Cave for the wife.
PatD and I sat and visited under that porch with Ray and Brenda.  Neither of us smelled any Diesel, but we did enjoy our "too short" visit.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Another option that works well and is non fuel based is Cotton Picker Spindle Lube, it's a water soluble detergent and lubricant.  White Pine pitch can be quite sticky and will build up on your bands and wheel belts, you won't have nearly the same issue with the oak.  You may not have the best results sawing oak with a 10° band, so don't be too quick to blame the mill if that is the case.  

I run quite a bit more mixed lube when sawing White Pine than Yellow Pine for what it's worth.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!