iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A little pipe

Started by tule peak timber, March 29, 2015, 08:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

I'm not sure if this belongs in the customer's project thread, woodworking thread, or may get demoted to the woodshed, but I'm posting a picture of a mesquite wood pipe that a long time customer made for me as a gift. The wood is a scrap of mesquite from my sawmill and when I looked at what he had done with it, I flashed back to memories of my father's father teaching me how to smoke from a small pipe back when I was probably 4-5 years old. My grandfather was from Eastern Europe and would take me into the basement and teach me about tools, hanging fall vegetables in the root cellar, smoking a pipe, and forming  the future man I would be.My grandfather had a special little pipe just for me. The part that is interesting to me is that as I relate this story to the men who work here at my present business, they chuckle with remarks about child protective custody, government intervention, etc, etc. When I look at the pipe that my customers (who are of middle Eastern origin) presented to me as a well wrapped gift (complete with their mix of special tobacco, pipe tamper, leather storage bag etc.) I remember back to the 1950's when my now long deceased relatives gave me life lessons and shared a little of their culture with me. And I don't think I am any the worse for it. I have to wonder at how far this country has come. I am having to teach myself how to smoke a pipe all over again, this time by myself. Rob

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

yukon cornelius

Beautiful! that is a good customer
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

thecfarm

I am an ex cigarette smoker. I think I miss the smell and taste of a pipe more than any of the cigarettes. I miss a cigar too. BUT I know I can never enjoy them again.  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

sandhills

I'm not a smoker (a chewer  :-\), but my late uncle always had 2 pipes in his bib overalls and smoked Prince Albert, when one went out he'd switch to the other.  When I was little I always tried to stand down wind of him, I still remember that sweet smell.  My wife has one of her late Grandpa's pipes, he smoked Velvet and she has the same memories of him, funny what you remember from years gone by.  That's a very nice pipe  ;).

Magicman

That is a fine pipe and a nice gesture of appreciation.  Mine would go un-smoked.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Quite the craftsman, Nice!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!