iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coco needed a trim real bad.

Started by Mooseherder, December 08, 2008, 05:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

I had been worrying about coconuts falling for a while.  They both got a good trimming today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zFuWDNH7Lg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBufzWcz2Ug

Tom

That took a lot of the Sail out of the tree.  But, What are you going to do for coconuts now? :D

Mooseherder

Quote from: Tom on December 08, 2008, 05:28:19 PM
That took a lot of the Sail out of the tree.  But, What are you going to do for coconuts now? :D

I'm going to load up the truck and bring them to you. :D  ;D

Dave Shepard

Why don't you load up that truck and come to my house, I'll pay plane fare to send you and the coconuts home. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Mooseherder

Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 08, 2008, 10:04:35 PM
Why don't you load up that truck and come to my house, I'll pay plane fare to send you and the coconuts home. ;)

So you like Dodges eh?  :D

Dave Shepard

Absolutely. I'm hoping it's a Cummins, I don't want another gas truck. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tom

I wonder if they would sell at the flea market..... or the farmer's market.

As mature as they look, I'll bet that the "milk" would work for Christmas flavorings.

The meat, even thought it might be like jelly, isn't bad either.

Mooseherder

Quote from: Tom on December 08, 2008, 10:35:15 PM
I wonder if they would sell at the flea market..... or the farmer's market.

As mature as they look, I'll bet that the "milk" would work for Christmas flavorings.

The meat, even thought it might be like jelly, isn't bad either.

I have two Jamaican neighbors who'll only eat them when they're green.  Will give them as much as they want.  I'll husk a couple, plant a couple of the more mature seeds and probably throw some out that don't have any milk in them.  Some also cracked from the fall.  That tree had every stage growth of seed on it from flower to mature.  It'll be a while for the next crop and that's okay too. :D

Dave,  Yep, It's a Cummins. ;)

Dodgy Loner

Mmmm...I love green coconuts!  That tree was loaded.  Reminds me of Brazil, but the trees with the easy-to-reach coconuts were always bare.  I had to improvise ;D

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

VT_Forestry

haha learn that skill at conclave?    :D
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Dodgy Loner

I sure did!  Unfortunately, I didn't have any of the sticky stuff for my hands when I was in Brazil.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

I bet it was easier coming down. :D

They always used to have coconuts in the grocery. A nut would have more coconut than I would use in 10 years. I tried the milk in some of them nuts and some was spoiled, while others weren't to bad. Pays your dime, takes your chances. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

low_48

Hey Jeff, You sure that saw operator isn't our favorite rock chainsaw operator? (Jesse James Dupree, the lead singer for Jackyl for the rest of you)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKSJLop26yI

baronthered

That is a good song. It's awesome live. Those guys are really nuts. back on topic I like green coconuts myself. I was around them alot in my childhood and loved to climb them. always got in the air a little and looked around till i was tired of it. Of course I've always had a tendancy to climb things because I could and they were there and the biew is always better from the top of something.
Life's short make fun of it!

olyman

Mooseherder

It was time for Coco to get some much needed attention.
Some Coconuts were starting to fall and we were scared one of the animals would get taken out by a rogue faller.  They always seem to like squating underneath this beast. ::)
It is around 45 feet to the top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lgv8HSWSiU

Dave Shepard

The lanyard goes around the tree. ;)

Mooseherder

Yeah, there was another one hooked higher. ;)

Mooseherder

beenthere

Neat.. saves them nuts from hitting you over the head.

The song "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts" comes to mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7awX6yJI7E
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WmFritz

God broke the mold when Danny Kaye was born.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Mooseherder

Ludo

Up here in NY we have truck loads of apples and pears, even some chestnuts and peach trees, but my son would trade anything for that tree!  Funny how one man's menace could be a dream for another!  My sister is in Lakeland Fl, she has a grapefruit tree that literally fills a 8' pickup bed with some of the most delicious fruit I have ever had.  Drives them to a compost pile every year while I pay $10 a bag here. Oh well, I guess I will have to contemplate it as I load the stove with... walnut firewood.   :D

Mooseherder

We had a very Large Grapefruit tree at our old house.  They were very good and Ruby Red.  The tree seemed to have fruit on it year round.  It was a smaller home and the tree dwarfed the house.

Thank You Sponsors!