iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

starting a small ranch and need advice on what kind of trees to buy

Started by walkerranch60, October 07, 2014, 10:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walkerranch60

we live in a rural area (near East Bernard Texas 77435) and are building a home on 18.2 acres we want to plant trees both fast growers and ones we really like. We want bald cypress, oak and currently have 6 mature pecan trees and need some trees  planted along our property line to provide privacy and beauty. We also want some magnolias and a weeping willow and some with color. can you make some suggestions and when we canplant them and possibly some suppliers nearby? we have a very gumbo type of soil and do we need to treat it keeping in mind we  will also be raising some herford cattle in a bout a year. what kind of fertilizers are good to use and do you have any info about cost effective watering systems. We also would like to set up some rain catchers to save money.  Any feedback would be appreciated..

Thank you the Walkers /Dan & Jennifer

thecfarm

walkerranch60,welcome to the forum. I'm a longs ways from ya,no help here. Good luck,it's a great feeling to work your land.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

timberking

Not aquainted with that part of the state but the trees you mentioned should all do well.

Texas Ranger

Look at the trees on the east side, near the creek, and see what grows there.  Deep gumbo is going to be a problem, live oaks work, and there are a few of them that a fairly fast growing, pecans that you already have, but i would think your willows would be short lived.   Magnolias may be questionable as well.  Treating the soil, dont know what would work down there, usually treatment of soil means replacement to something that can support a root system.  Talk to  your local plant store and see what they sell the most of, and what does well in the tight soils.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

ely

best advice I can pass along to you is "if you buy a 10 dollar tree then you better dig a 20 dollar hole"

Thank You Sponsors!