Started by pep, April 11, 2015, 09:36:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

What did he shoot it with ?? 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ron Scott

Ruger Model 77, 30-06 cal. with 180 grain Remington core lock bullet. 
~Ron

Dan_Shade

How does one get a 400 lb bear out of the woods? 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ron Scott

With the neighboring landowner's large Kubota tractor with front end loader and with the help of him and his wife.;) Lucky that I knew the area well and was able to guide them with the end loader down an old skid road to the gutted bear. Shot it at 7:00 pm and did not get it out of the woods until 10:00 pm so it took awhile in the dark.

Quite a workout for this old body. I shot my only other bear 61 years ago when I was age 22 and  don't recall near this much work. Of course that bear was only half the size of this one.
~Ron

samandothers

Congratulations on the bear!   I assume this was your land you hunted on given all the pictures and the reference to neighbor.  

SwampDonkey

That's a good sized bear for sure. Congrats on your successful hunt.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Ron Scott on September 20, 2019, 06:14:46 PM
Ruger Model 77, 30-06 cal. with 180 grain Remington core lock bullet.

That will do it. I have a lot of Rugers too
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Wow, Congratulations Sir, and Very Well Done after the loong wait for the tag.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Scott

It was taken on private forest land which I have managed since 1982. Now owned by the 3rd landowner who I still watch over the property for. The property is under the Commercial Forest Act whereby the landowner must allow hunters on the property, and is required to keep the property in timber management. The landowner is then compensated with a property tax break for doing so.

~Ron

Ron Scott

My first bear taken on Sept 11,1958 at age 22. It was half the size of this one.

~Ron

Jeff

Congtats Ron! I'm thinking the pigroast carcass helped lure him in!!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

Yes, I believe it did. Especially when I started setting the bait with it , bears started coming in.
~Ron

goose63

Ron will you render the bear fat into lard ?

My mon did when i was kid and use it to make donuts best donuts i evre had  musteat_1
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Ron Scott

Having it processed now, Don't know about them doing lard though.
~Ron

SwampDonkey

I've never eaten bear meat, but they say it is good. And I grew up around bear hunting, so there was always bear meat if one was inclined. :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

Took it to the taxidermist today for a shoulder mount. 6 months to a year to do.
~Ron

Ron Scott

Mother Bear and 4 Cubs are currently active in the area this early June 2020. 

~Ron

SwampDonkey

Wow, 4 is quite rare. Must be lots of food. I have seen 3 cubs lots of times. :)

Only bear I have seen this spring was crossing the road onto my woodlot as I was checking out the firmness of the road for hauling firewood.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Ron Scott on June 21, 2020, 09:36:37 PM
Mother Bear and 4 Cubs are currently active in the area this early June 2020.

That's pretty cool. I love them game cameras 

Ron Scott

Now have the bear mount back from the taxidermist after exactly 9 months. The taxidermist was displaying it in his studio for awhile and I still need to pick up the cleaned skull.  He said that his beetles used for cleaning the skull are working a little slow.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Out after midnight! At the apple tree.

~Ron

Ron Scott

What can I find; early morning snack!

~Ron

Ron Scott

A new Visitor!
~Ron

Ron Scott

Bear again at the same tree.