iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Debarker will not turn off on lt40

Started by flatrock58, August 25, 2014, 11:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatrock58

Getting close to getting all the problems fixed on my mill, but still some problems.  The previous owner unhooked the debarker since he was cutting cotton mill timbers.  The whole thing was frozen up but I finally got it going.  He said it came on by itself once when he was beside it changing blades!    The problem now is that when I stop going forward and try to turn the debarker off it keeps going.  I can even turn the key switch off and it won't stop.  After turning the switch on and off it will finally stop.  From what I understand the power from the paddle switch in the forward position goes to the debarker on/off switch.  When the switch is turned on the power goes to the solenoid which powers the debarker.  When I stop moving forward shouldn't the solenoid lose power and shut off the debarker without me even using the toggle switch?  I would guess I have a sticking solenoid.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

cypresskayaksllc

I bought a used mill. my debarkers motor failed from atrophy. A replacment is about 500 bucks. same as the drive motors. I dont need it but for some apps is worth while.
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

Chuck White

When the forward feed drum switch is released, the debarker is supposed to shut off!

You definately have something wired wrong, and I'd suggest you get in contact with Wood-Mizer or the wiring diagram!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dave Shepard

It sounds to me like the solenoid is not releasing. Have you tried whacking it with a hammer?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

customsawyer

If the hammer don't work get a bigger hammer. :D
I would be calling WM.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I don't thing it would be a big job at all just to re-wire the debarked from 1 end to the other. It may need it. :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

flatrock58

I worked in the oilfield for 31 years so I know the bigger hammer works well sometime, but I went with a smaller non conductive wooden stick.  I turned the switch on and off and tapped the solenoid and it started working better.  Will just have to see if it keeps working.  If not I can replace it.  Thanks for the advise!
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!