iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pole saws

Started by MrMoo, May 28, 2015, 05:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMoo

Hi Folks,
Anyone have a pole saw? My driveway and yard are getting grown in from limbs filling in the empty space over the driveway. The small trees I will cut with the chainsaw but the larger trees need to remain as the electric line comes up the driveway. I am thinking of buying a pole saw to do the limbing. I am sure over the years it will get a workout.

Does anyone own the Husky offerings? The Husky 327PT5S has caught my attention as it the pole extends to 13'.

Any input would be welcomed.

beenthere

They are very handy to have.. Mine is the Stihl brand.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

MrMoo

Ya Been There I also looked at the Stihl 101 (I think) online it doesn't seem to be as ncie ergonomically as the Husky.
Thanks for your input.

kellysguy

Quote from: beenthere on May 28, 2015, 05:56:34 PM
They are very handy to have.. Mine is the Stihl brand.

+1

You'll wonder how you ever got by without one. I have my buddies here. It's a short Stihl Pro model that fell out the back of a truck. He tried to catch the guy but never could. It's great but I always wish it were longer. I should have bought another one instead of the 310 but I couldn't turn it down.

MrMoo

Stopped by the chainsaw place last week and took a look at the Husky polesaw. Seems like a nice tool but thing that surprised me was how much it weighed. I guess it is around 14lbs. It felt like a lot of it was up at the pole end.
I guess I will go tomorrow and get it though I really need it.

beenthere

Oh yes, and if not held nearly vertical, that pole saw at the end gets some heavier as time cutting goes on.  :D

But it beats any alternative to get the job done. And you learn quick to cut on the underside of a limb a bit before cutting the top side. Getting the bar pinched when the pole is extended is tricky to get loose sometimes.
Also, learn that the branch tip falls first, and where the butt end of it goes is like smoke... right at where you are standing.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Hitchcock Woods

We have 2 Stihl HT 101's.  They are telescopic so anything within ~15 ft we can get.  If we put some one in the loader of our john deere, we can reach ~30ft.  They are great saws, but for a homeowner, they are a bit pricey.
Chain Saws         Vehicles            LogSplitter
MS 192TC          6100D x2     TimberWolf TW3
MS 391               L2800
MS 441              HPX Gator
346XP           Honda4x4 Rancher
372XP              4x4 Frontier
HT 101 x2
MS 311

beenthere

Pricey - maybe, but as a "homeowner" I've been using mine for the last 25 years.  Still runs good, and anything less may or may not have served me so well.
south central Wisconsin

JohnG28

I've been using my uncle's Stihl ht131 and it is real nice for the stuff you want it for. Goes through limbs like nothing, great power and reach. But $700 is a lot of money!
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

clww

I'm using the company's Stihl variety tomorrow going around our latest clearing job. Works so well that sometimes I even borrow it for my personal use. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Al_Smith

I have a cheap Poulan which is probably okay for my own usage .It is not however robust enough for commercial work .

What I can say is it is better than a stick saw and beats having to shinny up a tree with a 200t Stihl of which I own two .---I don't shinny as well as I used to----

Hitchcock Woods

Quote from: beenthere on June 10, 2015, 01:22:59 PM
Pricey - maybe, but as a "homeowner" I've been using mine for the last 25 years.  Still runs good, and anything less may or may not have served me so well.

If you don't buy nice, you buy twice  ;)
Chain Saws         Vehicles            LogSplitter
MS 192TC          6100D x2     TimberWolf TW3
MS 391               L2800
MS 441              HPX Gator
346XP           Honda4x4 Rancher
372XP              4x4 Frontier
HT 101 x2
MS 311

CTYank

Got a Tanaka TPS260 polesaw (25 cc, 1.3 hp rating) w/10" bar, 1.5 yrs back for something like $230 from Bailey's. It's gotten a lot of use since then- hundreds of hours- clearing/thinning/pruning/prepping storm damage. It can do work that'd be much more tedious/dangerous with conventional chainsaw. Some of it, much more quickly besides.

Friend who's run it and some Stihl polesaws says it's MUCH lighter, with its aluminum tube. A/r I just insert a 2' extension shaft, and leave that metal sit in the truck when not needed..

Recently, in place of its OEM 10" 3/8" LP NK b&c I ran it for about 45 minutes with a 14" 3/8" LP b&c to partially buck a shagbark hickory log that was held ~ 5' up off the ground (on ledge, etc.). It spit a nice stream of chips all the while, using up about 1/2 tank of mix. Of course, short periodic cooldowns. Then we winched that log down and fired up the big iron, once my bud arrived.

Should it get stolen or run over, I'd find another. It's a mule. Just a light one.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Thank You Sponsors!