iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hay Fever

Started by Norm, June 23, 2012, 02:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MHineman

Quote from: LAZERDAN on June 25, 2012, 10:44:08 PM
Went out and looked at the wheat this morning it may be ready by the 4th of July a month a head of normal.  It's aweful short            Lazerdan
Where is your wheat?

It sounds like our wheat we harvested last week.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

Amelia Farms

First year doing my own hay. I have had someone else do it the last couple of years, but I was always at the bottom of the list and my hay was way past prime before he could get to me. Bought a bunch of antique equipment over the winter and got it into working order and had pretty good rain. Got a little over 1000 small square bales off about 12 acres on the first cut. I may take a second cut on one small field tomorrow, but with 100+ degree days forecast for the weekend, I am really not motivated to be out picking up hay in that kind of heat. Just too old for that now.

I got a good deal of satisfaction when those first few pretty bales dropped out the back of the baler. (After a few that weren't quite so pretty)
Woodmizer LT40, wish it was hydraulic.

LAZERDAN

We are in the Dairy State,  about 20 miles west of Milwaukee

beenthere

How many acres of wheat do you have coming ready?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

red oaks lumber

all my hay is cut will start baling tommorrow. today baled up 7 acres of grass hay for my wife's animals (small squares)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Norm

I used to hate small squares until I met my buddy I farm with. He's got a stacker wagon and an attachment for his skid steer to load 12 at a time on trailers. It's almost impossible to find hired help to bale them now so my back appreciates it.

So Steve you don't have any animals you can't eat.... ;D

LAZERDAN

there is 60 acres on the home farm.  Don't really need the wheat but the straw is wonderful for bedding the baby calves                Lazerdan

chevytaHOE5674

With the predicted nice weather I went ahead and knocked down most of my hay and all of one of my neighbors yesterday (100 acres of my own and 30 or 40 of the neighbors). And as usual the forecast has changed to rain this weekend now that we have a lot of hay on the ground. Lucky it is supposed to be in the 90's for another day or two with a breeze which should dry it out, then get two tractors going baling it all up.

After this I have a few small fields to cut of my own then another couple on some neighbors land. Will be nice to be done with hay after that.

Lud

My Dad called me at work years ago , said the landowner had got a half dozen town kids to help he wouldn't trust them to ride and stack safely.  Told my boss I was having a Hay Fever reaction and had to leave.

Had my flannel shirt on and we'd done six trailers full for the landowner and the city kids to put up in the barn.  The oldest city kid pulled rank, saying I was working "too hard" and he would ride the trailer for the last load.

To show my appreciation I reached into my back pocket and pulled out my pouch of Beechnut and offered him a chew.  Had him layin' on the trailer before the second pass. That tought him!

Hard licquor, soft women, and a sweet chew.   words to live by......
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

blackfoot griz

Years ago, when I was in high school, a "city kid" told me that he would like to try his hand at bucking hay bales.
He shows up on time and away we go.

We ran a three man crew.  We pulled hay wagons behind the balor, 2 guys stacking one running the tractor/balor. We haden't baled 3 bales and this kids started getting puffed up and he started coughing. It got worse quickly.  I ran 1/4 mile or so to the nearest neighbor's place to borrow a phone to call 911 (this was well before cell phones). The ambulance showed up just in time.  The EMT's had to shove one of those plastic do hickeys down this poor kids throat so he could breathe.
The poor kid spent 3 days in the hospital...two minutes worth of work out of the lad and a big workers comp claim!

Roxie

The sweet smell of third cut hay is in the air here.  It's just unheard of to get third cut this early in the season, but we've had perfect weather. 

Say when

Norm

We finished up with the 2nd cutting last night after dark. Temps were in the mid 90's with no wind and high humidity so we all sweated our share and then some.  Surprisingly some fields did better than the first cutting even with little rain.

I slept in this morning and it sure felt good.

Corley5

I got started baling last night.  After 19 round bales a bolt that holds one of the sprockets on one of the roller shafts broke allowing the sprocket to move out enough to throw the drive chains.  I've got everything lined back up just need to remove the broken bolt with a drill and EZ out and put one chain back together.  Hopefully the bolt comes out without too trouble.  It's threaded into the end of the shaft.  Easy to get at.  I don't see any reason as to why it broke.  Bearings etc are all fine.  There's no outward pressure on it :-\  It is metric and I don't have one so off to the parts store.  I also need to replace the knife in the haybine.  The bushing went out of the drive end.  No rain chance until Sunday and then it doesn't sound like a real good chance.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Roxie

Norm, only a farmer posts at 8AM that he slept in.  I hear ya!   :D :D
Say when

chevytaHOE5674

Baled some last night going to bale more this afternoon and the rest tomorrow.

But I just came in from outside and there was a message on the phone from another neighbor who is going through a divorce and she wants me to come cut her hay since her husband isn't around..... She has around 30 acres of really nice timothy/rye hay but I'm not sure I want to get into the situation with the divorce and all, and it would be nice not to have to put up any more hay until 2013. hmmmm

Corley5

Got my baler fixed this morning and rolled up what I had raked from yesterday.  It was too dry.  The bales started hard.  I'm going to rake what's left in a bit and bale it in the morning with the dew still on.  Forecasts are conflicting regarding rain chances on Sunday  :-\
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

red oaks lumber

just finished baling 100 acres today, long day but, no rain on any of it.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

chevytaHOE5674

Just got in and cleaned UP from mowing... The neighbors field was just too nice to say no too. So I should finish up baling my own hay this weekend and then finish up with her land/my hay on Monday. Then unless somebody calls I will be done with hay until 2013.

Norm

I finished up baling a 12 acre field of alfalfa late yesterday. We've had no rain since we cut it 3 weeks ago but it still had some decent growth. Our new system is to cut as soon as we see any flowering going on weather permitting. One upside to a drought is hay goes pretty fast, I cut this late Saturday.

After the baler got done here it headed over to a neighbors place to do 80 acres of alfalfa, something unheard of since corn and beans have gone up in price so much.

thecfarm

Norm,looks like you have one of those balers that make the big bales. I saw one in PA a few years ago. I have not seen one here in Maine,yet. Seems like the round bales are the one the farmers use around here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chevytaHOE5674

I baled a bunch of hay early last week and thought that was the end of my season. Then I was approached about a couple more fields so last weekend I knocked down 15 or so acres in 2 separate fields, raked this morning and after a quick bite to eat and grease/oil on the baler its off to get it rolled up.

sandhills

Quote from: Magicman on July 11, 2012, 07:25:34 AM
Nice Truck.   :)
Nice Hay   :)  I'll be needing that this winter so don't let it get to far away  ;D.  Haying has been easy around here too unfortunately, sure don't go through much twine anyway, it had better start raining  :-\.

Norm

Here's a picture of my buddies new cutter.

We've not stored one bale this year so far. The last load went for $200 per ton so we decided to go ahead and get rid of it all.

LAZERDAN

Norm           What was the weight of the hay on the trailer ?  is it second crop or third crop.     Lazerdan

Thank You Sponsors!