iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

long night ahead

Started by red oaks lumber, July 16, 2012, 10:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red oaks lumber

darkness just fell upon us, with that so did a pack of wolves. i went out behind the barn which is on the edge of the woods shining my flashlight i spotted several wolves maybe 30 yrds away.
running back to the house to get my rifle, i went back out in the woods. their eyes are a very bright spooky green ,seeing a couple sets of eyes but didnt present a shot. i could hear more moving in trying to surround me.
let me tell you the hair stood up just knowing they were real close and i could'nt see them all. all my animals are very restless,they know something bad is probably going down tonight.morning cant come soon enough.i plan on sleeping in the barn tonight
when the sun breaks tomorrow i'l report my findings.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Warbird

Good luck to you, red oaks.

kderby

Wolves are just coming to Oregon.   They are Not! welcome in my area as all our friends/neighbors are ranchers. 

Red Oaks, I do not look forward to this kind of experience.  I hope you win this battle even if it does not win the war.  I am sorry for your stress!

Kderby

WildDog

Are you permited to poison them? if so just curious as to what options are available.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

WDH

Steve,

I hope that you did not get eaten up  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sandhills

Hope everything turned out alright, I don't mind sleeping in a barn but being out in the woods with wolves in the dark, think I'll pass  ;D.  We used to sit on hay bales at night when there was a full moon and snow to call in coyotes, my neighbor called in a mountain lion one night, kind of changed my thinking on that little stratagey (?) too.

Norm

Three words...night vision scope. Good luck.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Like "JJ' used to say.........DYN-O-MITE!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

easymoney

some of the city folks and government types are tickled to see wolves move into areas they are new to. those folks should have to spend a night or two out among them with a pork chop hung around their neck.

slider

google hog light,just bought one .comes with charger,3 mounts and pressure switch that attaches to the back if you want it.around 150 delivered.love mine.I think we would trade these wild hogs down here for your wolves.very destructive to us farmers.good luck.If all else fails get a full size cut out of customsawyer ,stick it out side the barn and your problem is over.glad i could help   al
al glenn

red oaks lumber

well we live to fight another day but, so did the enemy ;) last night was, how to say it very interesting. some time around 1 a.m. just around the corner of my barn 10 ft. from me i could hear a wolf or wolves sniffing and clunking their teeth. i will say that kinda scared me.
around 1;30 0r 2 a.m. out in my pasture a calf started bellering kinda like is was in destress. so at day break i went to the pasture looked all around but found no sign that anything went wrong also, no cows were looking for their calf.(thats good).
the plan for tonight was to put up a climber deer stand and hunt from maybe 10 ft high, that way they couldn't circle me.the only foil to the plan was the mosquiteos i couldn't take it.in alittle while im going to sneek out in the woods and just see whats happening, if you haven't figured it out yet i'm not right :D

Jeff

I'm just wondering how good of an idea it is that you are on here documenting that you are out after some wolves. Personally I wish you luck, but professionally, Ya gotta know that this board is read by CO's all over the country.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

5quarter

stay inside and leave them alone. wolves only hunt in packs when there is a scarcity of food and/or overcrowding.wolves usually hunt singly or in mated pairs and usually not threatening. your case is different. secure your animals, secure you're garbage and stay inside. they will move on after a few nights.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Paul_H

In my part of the world,we can kill anything that threatens our livestock or home.I'd secure my place by either chasing them off or killing the predators.
5Quarter's advice is good as far as securing the animals and food sources but ultimately the wolves might need to be dealt with.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Jeff

Here are the rules for Wisconsin.

http://fyi.uwex.edu/wbic/2012/01/27/wisconsin-dnr-and-farmers-will-have-a-greater-ability-to-control-gray-wolves-who-attack-livestock/

Wisconsin DNR and farmers will have a greater ability to control gray wolves who attack livestock

27. Jan, 2012

The following is a press-release from Wisconsin DNR about changes to wolf management in the Great Lakes Region.

Beginning Friday, Jan. 27, 2012, the gray wolf will no longer be considered a federally endangered species in Wisconsin and other parts of the western Great Lakes region.

In Wisconsin, the state Department of Natural Resources will manage the wolf population outside of tribal reservation lands. DNR officials said areas where wolves have attacked domestic animals will be addressed immediately.

"We've been fighting hard to gain this authority, and we are grateful to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service for removing gray wolves in the upper Midwest from the lists of endangered and threatened species," said DNR Secretary Cathy Stepp. "We are ready and capable of managing Wisconsin's wolf population at a healthy, sustainable level and we welcome the opportunity to begin addressing those areas where problem wolves are attacking domestic animals."

Wisconsin regulations will treat the gray wolf as a protected wild animal, which means that authorization from the DNR is required before a person can attempt to "take" or kill a wolf. There are currently no plans for a hunting season on wolves. This would involve a change in state law and a public rule-making process.

Wisconsin's 1999 wolf management plan and a 2007 addendum to the plan will be the basis of wolf management in the state. These documents outline the conservation strategy for Wisconsin's wolf population, as well as, outlining the approach for controlling depredation situations. Copies of these documents can be found on the department website.

Landowners or people leasing land will have authority to shoot wolves only when in the act of attacking domestic animals on their land. They also will be able to get permits to shoot any wolf coming on their land if they have experienced wolf problems within the last two years.

Any wolf shot or trapped by a landowner or leaseholder must be reported to the DNR within 24 hours. The carcass must be turned over the DNR.

Conditions under which control permits will be issued include the following five situations:

Landowners have had verified attacks on livestock or pets on their property within the last two years can request permits.
    Landowners with vulnerable pets or livestock, and whose property lies within one mile of a property with a depredation during the same year.
    Farmers with livestock in a DNR-designated "proactive control area."
    Farmers who have had verified harassment of livestock.
    Any landowner in an area where a perceived human safety situation occurs.

Under the rule published by USFWS in late December, which takes effect Friday, gray wolves in the Western Great Lakes Distinct Population Segment will no longer be considered either endangered or threatened by the federal government. The segment includes the states of Wisconsin, Michigan and Minnesota and portions of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, South Dakota and North Dakota.

Along with permits to landowner, the services of U.S. Department of Agriculture-Wildlife Service trappers will again be available to trap and remove problem wolves in Wisconsin.

USDA-Wildlife Service, which operates in Wisconsin under a contract with the DNR, will be available to investigate reports of wolf depredations and when wolf depredations are verified would be authorized to capture problem wolves. Because suitable wolf habitat is saturated in Wisconsin, wolves captured at depredation sites will not be relocated but will be euthanized.

With the federal delisting of wolves, states will be required to continue monitoring of the state wolf populations for the next five years. The department currently uses a system of radio-tracking collared wolves, snow track surveys and collection of public wolf observations to track population trends.

The DNR will continue to recruit and train citizen volunteers to assist with wolf management, primarily through tracking surveys.

During the winter of 2010-2011, biologists estimated a population of about 800 wolves in Wisconsin. The results of this winter's surveys will be available in the spring.

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT: Adrian Wydeven, DNR mammalian ecologist, at 715-762-1363; Ed Culhane, DNR communications, at 715-781-1683, or Bob Manwell, DNR communications, at 608-264-9248
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DDDfarmer

shoot, shovel, and shut up.   

00 or 000 buck works good in the dark at close range for wolves, coyotes or bears or so I've heard

and thats all I have to say about that...
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

Ron Scott

I've had a couple very close encounters with wolves in the western U.P.; one was near the Michigan/Wisconsin border. I left them alone and they left me alone and they became memorable experiences. ;D   
~Ron

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bogue Chitto

Get them at long range if you can.   

red oaks lumber

heres the deal, this pack has been here for 5 yrs.in that time iv'e lost a few yearling beef to this pack.for the most part they have kept a distance of 200 yds of my building until lately.
i dont nessessarily want to shoot them but, make my presence known with hopes of driving their line alittle further away. if i show no fear towards them and keep after them we should be able to establish new boundries that will work for all.
as for calling the authorities we have in the past. they already know about this pack and the history with them.

Thank You Sponsors!