iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sweetgum, arguably our most misunderstood tree?

Started by chain, November 28, 2012, 10:42:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesquite buckeye

One more thing. The movement of the Tordon in the soil at the experiment station also indicates the potential for groundwater contamination when used excessively. :(
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Claybraker

Quote from: GuyInHuntsville on April 23, 2014, 11:56:32 AM
Thanks mesquite buckeye...Everything I know about Tordon is from reading the online reviews for it and now from what you're saying. Some are saying it will kill the trees next to where it was applied. Maybe they were using too much. Others said don't use it if you have well water. But I did gather it definitely kills fresh cut stumps.

:) Reading through this thread made me wonder why there's so much hatin' on sweetgums :'( Even a friend of mine commented he has a few of these "worthless" sweetgums in his yard. I didn't bother to press him on why he feels that way. I guess they get a bad rap because of the balls they drop? Every rose has it's thorn  ???

If pine is your money crop, every 10% of hardwood basal area reduces your pine yield 20%, or so I've been told. I leave some mast producing hardwoods for wildlife, but I kill every sweetgum I can.

Tordon is good stuff, but you can probably achieve what you want with glyphosate, and if needed, follow up in a year with a foliar spray.

WDH

Tordon used as a hack-n-squirt on sweetgum is lights-out for sweetgum. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GuyInHuntsville

Thank you guys for the info...I really appreciate it.

mesquite buckeye

Not sure, but I'm thinking I might be seeing some sweetgum here.

Pallets are SWEEEEEET. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Okrafarmer

I milled about 800 bf of SG last week. Beautiful stuff. The two largest logs (about 24") I quartersawed. We have the big fast-growing ones around here. Trying to get it to catch on as a new "beautiful wood."
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

mesquite buckeye

Need to get people to start thinking that way. Mesquite started out as some desert brush wood that was only good for barbeques. Now it is high dollar. ;D

learner

I've been getting more and more requests for sweetgum since I first started milling and selling it a year ago.  Since there are no other mills in east texas drying and selling it, I'm getting a firm $3.85 per board foot.  Had a real hard time setting the price because all I could find on the different sites like craigs list had prices of up to $7.95 per bf.  That and I couldn't find any mills selling it.  And although I do want to make a living, I'm not out to get rich.  So I set all my prices around those of other mills except for the woods they don't produce.  For those like sweetgum though, I just wing it!
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

Okrafarmer

You're a better man than me. I sell sweetgum green for $1 and dry for $2 a b/f. since I have mostly a local retail market and far more supply than demand. If I can get the demand to increase, I'll increase the prices.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

CCC4

I've been cutting a lot of Sweet Gum and Tupelo for the last month and a half. Moving Monday to a strip on this same unit where I will be wading through a swamp cutting various hardwoods..looks like there is quite a few large sweet gum in there.

I like cutting gum, works real well in the cut. I like the smell of it, smells like the freshest cleanest water. The Sweet Gum on this particular job has a spicy almost cinnamon characteristic about it.

Thank You Sponsors!