iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT15 Transport

Started by Laurence, January 02, 2014, 05:42:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurence

Happy New Year,

I have recently purchased a Woodmizer LT15 (10hp diesel with Power Feed and SW Setworks). I am based in Scotland.

I am looking into ways of towing it a short distance from a shed to an outside milling area (all off-road) either behind an ATV or a Land Rover. I don't currently have a FEL or forklift. One may be added in future but for now it is mostly manual labour. I plan to build a dedicated saw shed in future so I am in need of a short-term fix.

The trailer package seems to be a good option for me, but it is expensive. The load-assist kit would be cheaper but is not available in Europe.

I am thinking along the lines of a two wheeled cradle (with ATV tires) to sit under the rails below the saw-head with a drawbar/tow hitch fitted to the other end of the frame rails. The procedure would be (i) lift and chock the bed rails at the end opposite the saw-head, (ii) roll the cradle under and secure, (iii) slide the saw-head up the rails to sit above the cradle (iv) lift the end opposite the saw-head onto the tow hitch. The cradle could have a winch attached to pull the saw head up the rails.

I would be really interested to see if anyone has built anything like this, has fitted a drawbar on the end of an LT15 or has other ideas. Also if anyone has any pictures of their trailer package or load-assist kit this would be a great help.

Many thanks

Laurence

47sawdust

You might look at the EZ boardwalk website for some inspiration.They have a removeable axle for transport.For what you want to do it wouldn't take much.
Good luck,
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

YellowHammer

I did a similar thing with my old LT15 by putting a 2 inch by 6 inch piece of thin wall rectangular steel tubing full length under each side of the three piece frame, which is also made of 2x6 inch tubing, so fit perfectly, total cost about $200. This served the purpose of acting as a basis for a trailer, really stiffened the LT15 three piece frame, and also got it higher off the ground, which really helped my back.  Then all I had to do was buy a cheap, low capacity axle and slide it under the frame as well as a trailer tongue. 
The very first time I used the saw up off the ground, a never went back to taking the axle off, and had to add a few trailer jack stands as levelers.  I also really liked being able to saw outside all day and just hook the whole rig to my ATV and put it in the barn, out of the weather with no hassle.
YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Philngruvy

Be sure to flip the locks under the sawhead so it wont roll around when you move it.
LT 15 18G
Bobcat 751

GrahamW

Laurence

Where abouts in Scotland are you, I live in Dumbarton.  Oljarhead built a trailer for an LT10 and his thread may give you some ideas. https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61651.msg907455.html#msg907455.  Happycamper also has some useful mods.

Regards

Graham

Laurence

Many thanks for all your replies.

Graham –I live near Inverness but I working overseas. I return home a couple of times a year and am trying to implement a solution before my next visit. Working remotely does make designing and arranging any fabrication work a bit difficult.

YellowHammer – I have followed your build with interest. The same goes for the other trailer builds on FF. Lots of very useful ideas and I would definitely go down the road of fabricating a trailer if time allowed. Given that I am doing my design work remotely I need to go for something simple that can be fabricated while I am away and fit first time.  This led me to think a simple dolly with ATV wheels might be the way to go, albeit limited to off-road use.

I'll update with photos once I have finished, but I would welcome any other comments.

Best wishes

Laurence

Piston

That's a really nice setup YellowHammer.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

rimshot

I am looking into ways of towing it a short distance from a shed to an outside milling area (all off-road) either behind an ATV or a Land Rover  (Laurence)

====================

Hi Laurence,

I have an LT10 mounted on an ex boat trailer frame.  I pull it around with my ATV or truck and it works just fine.  Some previous poster suggested if you do this you remember to lock the head carriage down before moving the trailer.  That is great advice.  My mill consists of only two rail sections for 12' but the boat trailer provided a convenient mobility aid. 
Like others have mentioned, after a day sawing I hook up the atv, blow the sawdust off and back it into the barn.   

LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

kng

rimshot,

May be a stupid question, but do you remove the mill to saw?  If so, how difficult is it to remove and install?

thanks,
-Kyle
2015 LT15G19 with Power Feed and custom trailer

rimshot

Hi Kyle,

That's a good question.  It stays right on the boat trailer. I put jackstands on each corner (4) and usually a couple in the middle just too firm up that trailer steel.  I also added some ribs to the boat trailer for extra strength.

rim

LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

Thank You Sponsors!