iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1987 woodmizer lt40hd drive side bushing question and more.

Started by jclvsall, January 17, 2014, 07:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jclvsall

Hey guys,

I was on here at lunch searching for info on this LT40HD of my friend Lee.   He just bought it.  I am helping him getting it up and running.  Working out the bugs.

We had two issues that brought about questions.  Yesterday during a blade change I noticed that the idle side bearing had a lot of slop on it.  I also heard a grinding sound when the blade was running.  Lee tells me he noticed the anti chatter bearing is about shot and making noise.  So today when the antichatter bearing froze up we decided to pull the 2 bearings from the idle side pulley and replace them.

When we got them on we noticed that the brand new bearings had some play in them as well. Not as much as the worn ones.  Has anyone seen this?  I have never seen a new bearing have play like that.  Does anyone here have any thoughts on why that would happen?

I put the blade back on and discovered where the grinding noise I heard yesterday was coming from.  It was not the antichatter bearing.  It was the drive side pully.  It was rubbing the pillow block bearing with about 3 spokes.  I discovered that it was due to the split bushing being loose because of one of the bolts being loose.  The bolts were shot so I got new ones and put the pulley back on. 

My question is, where do I put the pulley on the shaft?  If I push it all the way back it rubs the pillow block.  With the split bushing I can put it about anywhwere I want. 

I called woodmizer and they emailed me the parts manual and I don't see a spacer between the pulley and the bearing. 

Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks
Brian
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.  Ben Franklin

VictorH

On my 95 mill I too noticed play in the idle side and even though my blade tracked just fine and the wheel spun smooth I too though the play indicated a bearing was going out.  Got the new put in and same thing so just assumed it was in the design.  Has never given me problems yet.  Have no clue about your drive side issue - Good luck

Victor

MartyParsons

Hello,
Make sure the axle shaft was not worn where the bearings ride. If all is ok then make sure the movement is not I the tension rods. The bore in the wheel could also be worn. They stack these bearings and one is way outside the wheel. There have been many changes since 1987 on the idle side bearings. Some up grades may be available.
The drive side taper lock should be 1/32 to 1/16 from the end of the shaft.
We had a mill in this week that had the idle side wheel on backwards.
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

jclvsall

Thanks guys,

Victor thank you for the info. Glad I am not alone with this issue. 

Marty
The axle was not worn I did check that.  Their was other play in the tension rods. The bore was not worn.  The bearing itself can be seen flexing.  It is quite odd.  I have never seen that.  How could you get the idle side wheel on backwards on this model?  You would have the extra bearing on inside!

Thanks for the measurement on the taper bushing.  That is what i was looking for.

Brian
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.  Ben Franklin

ladylake

My Tk also has a bit of side to side play in the idle side wheel with new bearings, it's about the same 8000 hours later.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

jclvsall

Steve,
That is actually what made me wonder the most.  My TK B20 does NOT have any play in the idle bearing at all.  Actually none of the equipment that I have worked with in the past 20 years has.  I guess it isn't unusual though.  I will tell Lee not to worry about it because it is not unusual.

Thanks
Brian

jclvsall

Marty,
Just went over to check to see where I had the drive side located at.  You say the taper lock should be 1/32-1/16 from the end.  Do you mean from flush or from the bevel?  The bevel is more than 1/16  Maybe more like 1/8 bevel.  Doesn't seem right to hang the taper lock over the bevel but if that is right then I will do it.

Thanks.
Brian

Thank You Sponsors!