iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Considering OWB

Started by swking, December 08, 2017, 09:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swking

First off thanks for allowing me to join such a great group.

I am planning on buying a boiler to heat my water and house with within the next 6 months or so. I am considering a Hardy OWB and or Central Boiler Classic Edge. Was wondering any pros or cons of either unit?
Thanks alot.

armechanic

I have a Hardy installed in 2005, I have replaced the draft blower and this year I replaced the circulator pump.  Both rather cheap fixes.  The Hardy pumps are high, I got one from a local Hardware store about 1/3 the price. So yeah I would recommend Hardy.  One other bit of advice, get one size bigger than you think you need.
1989 Lt 40, D6C CAT, Home made wood processer in progress.

armechanic

Almost forgot,  WELCOME to the board, lots of good advice.
1989 Lt 40, D6C CAT, Home made wood processer in progress.

DDW_OR

here is a link to my Edge 750. so far i am very happy with it

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,92218.0/all.html#top

Quote from: armechanic on December 09, 2017, 10:30:52 AM
...........One other bit of advice, get one size bigger than you think you need.

I agree, bigger is better.

the 750 will be used to heat the house, greenhouse and Hot tub. maybe a kiln?
it has connections for 3 loops

Harbor Freight Greenhouse build
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=97497.msg1504967;topicseen#top
"let the machines do the work"

E Yoder

Is the Hardy a KB downdraft unit or the updraft grated unit? The Edge unit and the KB Hardy are comparable units.

Downdrafters are considerably more efficient. I love my G100s and would have a hard time going updraft again after seeing the difference.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

mf40diesel

I'll second the downdraft comment. We have a Heatmaster g200. We heat more area by quite a bit than all my buddies and use a little less wood plus it's clean as a whistle.

The emissions, even if you don't care (not assuming you don't) in the coming years could surely become an issue. Might be worth getting a compliant boiler now even if it's not yet required where you live.
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

Thank You Sponsors!