iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moving/Skidding logs on property with ATV

Started by dgrover13, April 07, 2017, 04:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgrover13

How realistic is it to drag and pull my logs off of the pile over to my build site using an ATV?

I have 35 foot logs that I will be pulling - probably 1500 to 2500 lbs each.

I need to pull log from the pile over to the foundation - where my pulley system is to raise the logs onto the wall.

I am told a Polaris sportsman 500 would do it - and if I need help get a Log Arch (looks like Logrite makes arches that carry 3000 lbs).

Seems like the ATV would struggle.  Thoughts?
-Darren

gasman1075

years ago I moved logs around with my Polaris 800 with a log arch and is wasn't the power that was missing it was the weight. My ATV didn't have anywhere near the weight / brake capacity to safely stop and or slow a 2000 LB log and arch combo unless it was perfectly flat not hilly like my woods. . I saved my money sold the ATV and bought a small 4WD tractor ( 30HP) with FEL and have been doing that ever since and felt much safer. Good luck have fun.

Jack
JD 2302R/Stihl MS461/Stihl MS261/ Timberwolf TW-P1/ new left hip /

logman

I built a small log cabin about 20 years ago in the flat part of Md.  I built a 2 wheel cart and used an A frame and come along to get the logs on the cart.  I pulled the logs through the woods to my build site manually.  An ATV would have been nice.  The logs were SYP 18' long.

LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

DDW_OR

i vote for a 4x4 tractor with FEL ( Front End Loader ).
you can move the logs, then lift.
"let the machines do the work"

barbender

That's too much, IMO. I've pulled a trailer that probably grossed 1000 pounds through some pretty nasty mudholes and stuff with my Polaris 500, but when you're talking the lightest logs are 1500 pounds, plus dragging at least one end...I'm not going to say impossible, but difficult at the very least.

Logman- nice looking cabin!
Too many irons in the fire

dgrover13

Thats what I am finding.  Too much weight for a four wheeler. 

Probably will need a good ol tractor. 
-Darren

DDW_OR

30 hp minimum

mine is 51 hp and does what i need.

DDW_OR

dgrover13
where are you located, nearest city and state.

my Max22 is 22 HP and is too light to do most of what i do so i use it to pile up brush and branches to burn

here is my Honda Rancher 2wd tool cart

Ianab

It's the weight of a proper tractor that gives it the ability to move stuff. Select a low gear and you can drag a lot of weight. A light ATV doesn't have that advantage. You wouldn't even need 4WD on firm level ground.

Of course 4WD and a loader are good to have if that's in your budget. But a log arch and an older 2WD tractor should do what you need.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

tareece

Quote from: jander3 on April 15, 2017, 01:30:50 PM

That 2nd arch is a hellova idea... Keeps the log from taking a turn on it's on down a side of a hill...
    Controlled speed.. plus choosing a slighter angle of a hill slope will cure most Ills
Todd Reece
Lover of many things. Experienced in most... expert in few

dgrover13

Those are some great looking log archs! 

I have decided if I need to move logs I can do so with my truck and a log arch.  I will eventually get a tractor or ATV.  In the meantime I just bought a log arch from a Minnesota guy who builds them. 

I have 20 thirty five foot long logs being delivered next Friday  8) 8) 8) I cannot wait.
I am new to the log industry and had trouble finding a truck who could deliver them 100 miles from where they were cut.  I swear I called every logger in wisconsin and finally came across a guy who works for Bell out of MN and delivers telephone poles.  He's got the full length trailer and loader.
-Darren

David M

Greetings, you would be incredibly surprised but what a honda 420 or equivalent ATV + 2 log arches can do. My wife and I managed to pull a 25' 21" small end white oak saw log DOWNHILL and then across a shallow creek through 1/4 mile of old logging trails, you just have to get creative,take your time,get chains on the ATV and have a good feel for when too much is indeed tooo much...If you have a slight downhill section and worry about your ATV being able to stop just adjust your arch (if it has a manual winch on it) to let the log drag to introduce a brake effect...  :) Also I have the 3k LB Logrite arch along with a smaller fetching arch I use for the end of the log to get it off the ground.

David M

You can also get creative with the arches and lash them to trees and spin logs around so you get the big end lifted first...

The combo deal even works in snow...

maple flats

When I attended an introductory course leading to The Game Of Logging training the instructor demonstrated ATV logging. He had a 500CC ATV, 4x4 and a home built log arch. On his arch the log was suspended from a chain that slid on an incline, up higher in the back, low in the front on maybe a 30-35 degree angle. When he pulled on the log the front end was lifted and he had no problem pulling a 16.5' log, as he came to and started down a small hill, at one point the log slid forward, which lowered it to the ground and that created some braking action. He cautioned against going down a steep incline or at an angle. With that method you had to go straight down a hill.
I later took Game Of Logging courses 1 and 2 from him. By the way, if you will be using a chainsaw I highly recommend you take at least courses 1 and 2 in The Game Of Logging. It is a great use and safety course for logging.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

123maxbars

I have had a lot of success using my Honda ATV skidding logs with my Log Rite. Short Video I made on using it.

https://youtu.be/8m-8VJZmxKc
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Sixacresand

I reread the first post about dragging logs off a pile.  I think you need a real tractor or 4x4 pickup to accomplish that.  The other option is to roll them off the pile and use log arch which can be pulled by a riding lawnmower on level ground.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

mike_belben

I have skidded logs with suzuki king quad 300, garden tractors, old 17hp kubota L175 two wheel drive tractor and a dozer.  The kubota was where it started being kinda manageable.  The lighter machines spin, wheelie or break.  What i lose first when overloading the ATV is steering.. The front just grazes the ground.  Atleast the tractors have cutting brakes. 
Praise The Lord

IndyIan

I think my record for the kingquad 300 was around a 1500lb log 75% suspended with a log arch, and with a good amount of tongue weight on the atv.  It was quite easy actually but I was skidding off ice onto a rail trail and then onto backroads...  In the woods it would be different especially if you have hills.   If you woods is flat and not muddy then it could work well with a pair of arches.   
Get an arch that puts on some tongue weight, and then also make sure your atv hitch is as short as possible, getting the load onto the rear axle without taking too much off the front.  The kingquad did pretty well because the ball was close to the rear axle.

Crusarius

I know no matter how I type this it is going to come out wrong so please do not take it that way.

Everyone is talking about going. Please do not forget about stopping.

I was dragging my 24" x 48" water filled roller around this weekend behind my zero turn. It worked great. but I was being pushed down the hills. Not fun. Always remember gravity is a bad word.

Peter Drouin

If you can swing it forget the toys and get a big tractor that will do a lot of things.
80 to 100 horse, 4x4. Now you can do some work. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!