iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cupola

Started by moonhill, December 29, 2008, 06:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonhill

I believe I saw a thread with a vw bus mounted on the top of a house as a cupola and I can't find it.  Anyone have a recollection?

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

moonhill

That is it.  Thanks, Jim.

Tim

shinnlinger

Moonhill,

That is my barn if you have any questions...still doing well and just housed some visitors for the holidays...
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

moonhill

How did you mount it?  Are the tires still on and why?  How much did you strip out, eng. trans, fuel tank.  Any concerns with the doors opening while the younger generation is up there?  Comments from others, any one complained how it looks?  I think it is a grand idea.  Seats, window, weather tight, shouldn't have to replace the shingles.   

Tim

Dave Shepard

I'd want heat/AC, Sirius sat. radio. Oh, and wipers too. 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

shinnlinger

Hi,  Here are two photos, is 5 degrees here so this is about all I can do at the moment.

I have 4 built up vertical columns of 2x6 at each corner of the cupola base.  Each column has 3 2x6s with the middle one 4 inches shorter so that it cradles the VW frame.  I have it secured in the cradle with seismic tape, which I also used to secure the doors.

I removed the drive train and gas tanks before mounting, but left the tires on so that the whole rig overhangs the opening making it relatively weather-tite.

Very cheap, very functional cupola.
Shinnlinger

moonhill

Wipers I forgot those.  12v battery?  or AC and a converter, lights to.   Run the parking lights at night.   We are thinking about it. 

I am thinking setting the van right on the roof and chain/binder it down.  Some added support in form of interior walls.  Clear span third floor of the barn, timber frame. 

Shinnlinger, where do you access through the floor?  What do you find as the most usable space, front seat? 

Thanks, Tim

shinnlinger

Moonhill,

If you want to come on down and have a looksee, feel free.  I think you are 5 hours...It takes me 5 hours to get to LInconville from here.

I will take some shots of specific areas if you want.

I am thinking converter and a deck off the slider side, but wife is thinking finish the house so my VW plans are on hold at the moment.
Shinnlinger

Tim L

Someday I'd like to take a field trip to see it.
Do the best you can and don't look back

moonhill

We must pay attention to the wisdom of the wives.  If I am in the area someday I'll check in.  More photos would be nice.

Tim

Thank You Sponsors!