iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

diy timber frame vs log

Started by Alexis, January 01, 2009, 12:20:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexis

hello all,

since i have read every book on timber framing, i was looking on amazon and the web for info on dovetail log house. It occured to me that there was MUCH more info and book, especially toward diy'er for log building than for timberframe.

why do you think that is? Do you consider log building more a diy thing while timber frame is more specialized and geared toward professional?

moonhill

That is a good question.  My first thought is, marketing.  There is an appeal to the log home side, glossy magazines go a long way with impressions.  In my local grocery store I see only log home issues 2-3 different publications.  Once in a while a timber frame issue will show up.  These aren't the how to manuals you are speaking of.  I am not a fan of log homes.  Traditionally they were the first buildings to go up, I need a roof over my head.  The buildings which soon followed were timber framed.  That is what happened in my home town, the temporary log structures didn't survive.  Species related, most likely they rotted soon.  In other parts of the country log buildings have lasted.  Some newer barns were built out of log structures, recycled, turned into timber frames. 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

underdog

My 2 cents.
Log homes are eye candy ??? The people can see it all and really want it.
Timber frame is more hidden and you usually have to go looking for it or just know it is in there.

witterbound

Everyone knows about log buildings.  We see them all the time at parks, resorts, and fancy lodges.  We know about them from the time we're kids.

On the other hand, when did you first discover timber frames?  I was almost 50.

There can't be a demand for a type of building you don't know about.

krusty

Alexis,

I would almost disagree. McRaven has the only book I am aware of on Hewn Log with dovetail corners..... There are plenty of scribed round log books and TF books.

My house is a combo hewn log and timberframe. I am almost finished the trim and paint in my hammerbeam family room and then I will post a pic. I am sooooooo happy with the way it turned out.

If you ever get to the Ottawa area drop me a note and come for a beer & tour.

Krusty,

bigshow

I find timberframing less difficult than scandinavian scribe log building - At least at my experience level - which is nothing more than a gray area between beginner and intermediate.  But, like many here I'm sure, isnt stopping me from diving in head first and doing something I'm proud of, enjoy doing, and will enjoy for decades.  Anyways...both are great, both have downsides and upsides.  I have seen an amazing, just amazing DIY log home in N. Minnesota, and of course all the folks here - who, most it appears are DIY'ers who are doing amazing work.  Go make some sawdust!
I never try anything, I just do it.

jander3

I tend toward log building myself.  When I started, I read a number of books; from the books I was unable to figure out how to scribe a log and cut notches and grooves. To figure it out, I had to take a hands on class on the topic.

I never even considered timber framing till I attended a rigging class at the Northhouse Folk School (http://www.northhouse.org/), taught and attended by timber framers, last summer.  Since we were lifting and training on timber frame parts, the class got me thinking about timber framing.  Since then, I've read a few books, picked up a few tools, joined this forum, and started experimenting with different types of joints.  I've made a few small projects and I am planning to construct a timber frame sauna in the near term.  I am certain that I can tackle this project.  All my knowledge was gained from books and threads on this forum. 

I have built a number of log structures, there is no way I could have picked up hand scribed cabin building based on books.

bigshow

jander,

where did you learn log building?  Great Lakes School of Log building?  I did a couple timberframing classes at North House.  That place is a great time. I wish I could do a class up there twice a year. Back on topic - the Chambers book to me is the defacto how to book, but w/o a class....it would be rough.
I never try anything, I just do it.

underdog

Here is another type you do not hear much about.
Timberframe / Cordwood.
This example is more of a Pole / cordwood.
http://www.cordwood.afterglowsite.com/category/house/

jander3

I went, with my son, to a 10 day log building school at Great Lakes School of Log Building (www.schooloflogbuilding.com) taught by Ron Brodigan back in 2000 or so.     We had a great time and learned enough to construct our own cabin.  I went back up there last summer to help put the roof structure on a cabin.  Ron still teaches and if you want to learn full scribe log building, I certainly recomend the school.

Last year was the first time I ever heard of the Northhouse school.  I took the lifting and raising class (Taught by Grigg Mullen from Virginia), probably the most usefull class I ever took.   I was nervous about getting a ridge pole up on my  cabin in an area where you can't get to with a crane.  No I fully understand gin poles and A-frames and that ridge won't be any problem.

I, too, agree, that the Northhouse School is a great time.  I am heading up that way in June to learn a little more on timber framing.  I have about 30 other classes they offer that I want to find the time to take.

Brad_bb

With respect to the original posters question...

What is professional and what is DIY?  What I mean is, is there a line, a distinction between the two?  In general I'd say no.  Ok, if you get a kit that you just assemble, maybe that would be DIY -no cutting, no creating involved. 

It's like anything, you dig in and learn about it and how to do it.  Laying out a frame and cutting a timber frame might not be that complex once you have your drawings, but it depends on your point of view and skill level.  You can gain skill level though.  There is also a big difference in cutting a frame (or doing anything for that matter) in how precise you are, and how much attention is paid to detail.  Is that the difference between professional and DIY?  In the end of the day, whether it's a timber frame, log, plumbing, electrical, stonework, whatever, if someone else can do it, you can learn now to do it too.  So I can't really say I can see difference between "professional" and DIY.  Which way to go, timber frame or log, should depend on what appeals to you, period.  You can learn either one.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Max sawdust

Alexis,
I do not know why that is.  I suppose you can wander off in the woods with just a chain saw (or axe  ;)) and make a crude log structure, making it appealing to the settlers and in the 60's the back to lands. 
Actually as a do it yourself project I feel a timber frame is vastly more forgiving to error than scribed log.  Let alone full scribe dovetail log!  Full scribe dovetail is combining the all the necessary skill sets of log construction with the layout and joinery accuracy of timber framing.
Their are a lot of bad log structures and log builders in the world, a poorly done log structure is nothing but a maintenance nightmare.  On the other hand a well build log structure is air tight and cost effective to build.  Both log and timber framing are ultimately more expensive than balloon framing. (Unless you have access to unlimited supply of skilled labor for free.)

Full scribe dovetail log is a high art. We build a 20x20 foot building this summer, and it took two professionals at least 300 hours.  And of course we have 10's of thousands of dollars invested in the proper equipment like saw mills, tractors, chainsaws on and on.

True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

TW

I have worked quite a bit with fully scribed hewn dovetailed log buildigs. I have never built any from scratch but repaired old buildings replacing rotted logs with new ones. I would not hesitate to build a completely new house in this manner if anyone ordered one.

First: It is not even half as difficult as it looks like.
Second: It is more than twice as time consuming as it looks like.
Third: No need for fancy equipment. My total investment is less than 1000 euro in tools and 6000 euro in a tractor with front loader. Equipment is cheaper in America so I suppose you would make do with half the sum.

There are plenty of 15th century buildings built in this way and still standing with some centuries lifetime left in them. I have not worked on any building older than early 19th century but the method is truely time tested.

Stephen1

Quote from: TW on January 27, 2009, 08:24:21 AM

First: It is not even half as difficult as it looks like.
Second: It is more than twice as time consuming as it looks like.
Third: No need for fancy equipment. My total investment is less than 1000 euro in tools and 6000 euro in a tractor with front loader. Equipment is cheaper in America so I suppose you would make do with half the sum.

I like what TW says here, only I would say the time is double what he says. I built mine only from books, and the Internet, I did not find this site until I was rebuilding on the permanent site. I wish I had found it sooner though. I also wish I had taken a course as every book I read said to do, but no not me, I could do it myself, (I Did) with some help from my family of course. I never did like school.
I believe there are more books for the some of the reasons from the other comments, also we all had log buildings in our heads from early days of our education, and the settling of our countries, most of our history books have pictures of log buildings. My one comment when I had just finished putting on the last coat of stain was it turned out just like in my dreams. I think the Log home is more enjoyable to write & read about than the technical versions of building A Timber frame.
    I am working on the Timber frame now and do plan on taking a course, I think the networking would be the one of the best parts of the process. Comments on courses are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Stephen
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Brad_bb

My Foxmaple.com intro course was very good.  See if there is space NOW.  It's in late May/early June but it fills up fast.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!