iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pulley size check?

Started by kenfrommaine, August 04, 2016, 11:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenfrommaine

Hi
I have an 18hp motor and 20" band wheels, I am planning on using a 3.75" drive pulley on motor and a 12" pulley to turn the band wheels. This should give me a band speed of 5563 does this sound about right? Just waiting to hit the buy it now button but wanted to check with you guys first for opinions. Thanks Ken from Maine

Kbeitz

I have 17" wheels and i run a jack shaft. So I'm stepping down twice.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

kenfrommaine

I am not using a jack shaft just going direct with a belt tensioner system.

Joe Hillmann

You want to be right around 55-60 mph.  With those ratios you will be around 66 mph at 3600 engine rpm.  With 18 hp that should be fine, but maybe 1 inch larger on the 12 inch wheel or 1/2 smaller on the small one may be better.

ladylake

With 18hp I'd keep the band speed at 4500 fpm or less, you'll cut faster and straighter.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Den-Den

18 hp @ 5500+ fpm seems pretty fast to me.  Should be great for smaller logs but you won't have enough power for a decent feed rate in wide cuts.  Slow feed rate is hard on blades.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Ox

Make the big pulley 14" and you'll be golden.  That will be the same as my mill which runs a 13hp engine and works great.  Everything else you mentioned is identical.  :)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

kenfrommaine

Ordered a 3.75" and a 14"  8)
Thanks everyone for the feed back.
Ken from Maine

Thank You Sponsors!