iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

funny article

Started by thedeeredude, April 29, 2005, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedeeredude

Roxie

Now let me see, I'm going to shackle myself to private property and create a public nuisance, and I expect the police will do what?   ;)
My favorite part of the article is where we are told the protestors had a
"profound experience that will stay with them for the rest of their lives."
You know, I've had several of those myself, and I'd like to know who I can sue! 
Let me just think of a few profound experiences and maybe the culprit will just pop out at me.......childbirth (sue the children for pain and suffering caused by their birth, I sure hope I get more than a dollar for that!).....then there was the night that my father had a heart attack and I bent over the hospital bed to give him a kiss and the revelation hit me that the man that once blocked out the sun with his presence was actually old and kinda small (sue my Dad for misleading me all those years pretending to be large!).....and I guess the most profound experience was when my husband died (sue him for leaving me)? 
I'm glad they only won a dollar, for putting themselves in a situation that was just bound to provide them with a profound experience that will last the rest of their lives.....I wonder if the attorney's were on a contingency fee.  That would be hilarious!   :D
Say when

thedeeredude

Maybe the lawyers get 25% of the winnings.  They can buy a soda out of the machine at the store now 8)

sawguy21

Roxie that is funny although I am sorry about your husband. So can these jokers now sue for costs? Gives me a headache thinking about it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

timberjack240

i would have been nice and gave them a few dollars to get some safety glasses  :D that way they would have to sue the glasses company and not the county  ;D  :D now thats usin yur head  8)

Riles

They don't say if the cops' tactic worked. Me, I think I'd be too busy twitching to unlock myself.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Doc

they only one  abuck, but the cost of three trials to the taxpayers is tremendous.

My personal opinion on the frivilous lawsuit garbage is that if the civil suit is filed that the losing party shoudl have to pay for all costs involved (legal, court, jury, etc.). that would cut down on the number of BS suits like this one that get filed.

I bet the pepper spray gag will keep those folks from doing the protest gig again!

Doc

duramax

Ah America, the land of littigation.That's one thing about Canada is that there are alot less of these lawsuits based on rediculous allegations. I'm not saying there aren't any, just alot less. Probably because no one ever really thinks they can actually win. Says alot about our faith in the judicial system.
1999 Timbco T455D , 1999 Timberjack 560 dual arch grapple, 1987 Timberjack 450 cable , 1998 Husky Brute XL235 loader w/slasher

Tillaway

I was working on a project down there when that was going on.  It's a common ocurence to have someone chained to something there.  Last time I talked to a friend a PALCO, they had some up in trees, funny thing was they were not going to log that area, of course they didn't tell them that.  They have been there most of the year, wasting thier time. ::) ;D  those folks aren't the sharpest tools in the shed and have a hard time reading maps as well. ;D

Protests in that county are a 365 day a year thing, the media no longer reports tree sits unless something unusual is staged to draw thier attention.  In fact the ground suport people forget about some of the tree sits and the sitters go hungry and thristy until someone remembers or climbs down, hitch-hikes back to town for supplies.  Even some of these clowns forget to go back.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

crtreedude

Man, don't tie yourself to a tree down here - ever see the movies where someone is staked down to an anthill? The ants will leave nothing but a skeleton!

I can see it now, a person tying himself to a tree, while the helpers kill off all the ants so they don't get eaten alive - sort of a quandry wouldn't you think?  :D

If someone wants to protect a tree - do the right thing, buy the rights. If it is on public land, scrap together your nickles and compete for the sawing rights.

There are conservationist groups I like - for example, Nature Conservancy.  If you want to have sections without logging - buy the land.

I was just thinking about something this morning, Almendro is almost gone in Costa Rica and the Lapa Verde uses it for nesting. They say there are only about 50 nesting pairs in all of the Northern Zone of Costa Rica. I think we actually have two pairs, I have seen one and heard another.

Anyway, now you are not allowed to cut Almendro (live) which I agree - but, Imagine the poor landowner who has been preserving a large Almendro tree hoping to cut it some day, but saving it like money in the bank - and now he can not.

One solution is that if a Lapa Verde uses it for a nest, people will pay 100 dollars a year to protect the tree - which is pretty decent of them. I haven't submitted mine yet, and mine are not nesting in an Almendro but in Laurel.

Anyway, just rambling this morning.

Fred
So, how did I end up here anyway?

OneWithWood

CR you are correct.  When people get upset about how someone else is using their land I always suggest they buy the land, not just heckle the landowner.
I like your idea of receiving payment to protect and nurture a tree.  I would gladly accept donations to protect and nurture some of my better trees.  It would be a lot less work than managing the place :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

crtreedude

I think that both groups, people who work with wood and people who want to preserve forest could accomplish things together, instead of yelling at each other. There will be conflict, but imagine how much could be done if the lawyers were benefiting from the conflicts.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Roxie

I don't think the jury that awarded those folks a dollar is getting the credit it deserves!  It was nothing short of brillance to end it that way.  This trial was the THIRD appeal by the protestors.  The plantiffs can't appeal when they've won the decision......but they only get a dollar!  I personally would like to be able to thank every single juror on that case!   ;)
Say when

Mrforestry

rediculous, but funny  ;)

Barkman

Just too bad they got so much more than they are worth...  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!