iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tractor chain advice

Started by True North, February 19, 2013, 06:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

True North

We are skidding a bit with a Massey ferguson industrial, and the rear tires are 18.4-24.  Any suggestions on chains and where to get them economically?

DaleK

Craigslist. Even if you can find bigger chains you can cut them down to fit.
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

Happycamper

Try your local school bus garage and highway departments. They upgrade from time to time. That's what I use on my old "H" and they do the job for me. Plus the price was right like free.
                                     Jim

Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thenorthman

search for used skidder parts on google, found a set of 18.4 x 26 used in iffy shape for about $500 ( I haven't bought them yet...).  With your wider tires, it may be hard to find chains off of big rigs that will fit without seriously modifying them.  I tried making a set fit my furd 9n but it ended in tears, just wasn't wide enough.
well that didn't work

DaleK

If you have a tractor wrecking yard around they usually have a bunch of tire chains hanging somewhere too.
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

HiTech

if all else fails punch in Tire Chains in your search and go. A place in PA. will come up and they have chains for everything and they seem reasonable in their prices. They will ship them right to your door.

John Mc

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Ed_K

TCR(tire chains required) H patern ice chains,9/16 side chain is around $1100. I've had mine for 9 yrs and they still look new,and their on yr round.
Ed K

Al_Smith

Depends on how fancy you want to get .I use lengths of 3/8" chain with a shackle safety wired through the rims of my little Fergy .6 on a side .Because of it being old it has two different rim styles .The other side 1/2" eye bolt with eye nut through holes in the rim with shackled 3/8" chain .Works just dandy .

Thank You Sponsors!