iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Two thumbs up for the Chainsawr!

Started by scsmith42, March 27, 2013, 08:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

After having a local shop install a big bore kit on my '066 last year, about 3 hours of use later the saw quite running.  It turns out the crank bearings went bad.

My local chainsaw mechanic doesn't like to split cases, and I really wanted someone to rebuild the saw that knew what they were doing, so I reached out to FF sponsor "Chainsawr" (Scott DesJardins) and shipped the saw up to him for repair.  The crank was toast, but Scott was able to locate a good used one for me.  In addition to replacing all of the bearings, he took the time to address a lot of little items such as making sure the correct fasteners were used, etc.  Basically he did a complete remanufacture on the saw.

We fired up the saw today for the first time since it was rebuilt, and WOW!  It has never run so smoothly or pulled so hard.  It's first task was to do some end cuts on a 30" red oak log; went through it like butter w/o bogging down at all.

I can't wait to use it on some of the larger oak logs.  I'll be picking up a 54" oak log next week so it will definitely have a workout.

Thanks Scott!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

isawlogs

Glad to hear you got her back  and running. Nice to have someone you can trust to work on your saws.  :) 8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

celliott

Scott is a class act and runs a tight ship up there in Stannard. He will be getting all of my chainsaw related business from now on. There is multiple sawshops in my area, as well as dealers and chainsawr is the best one I've dealt with.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

AdkStihl

I like giving Scott my business. Always extremely helpful on the phone!
J.Miller Photography

MidWestTree

Scott always comes through when I can't find a part on his website, I have no idea how he seems to know every part laying about in his inventory but if it's there he knows where to go put his hands on it. Really good service every time I have needed his help and he doesn't mess around with getting parts boxed up and out the door to you.

thecfarm

I'm looking for a good chain saw guy in my area,VT is kinda far.  :'(  The place now I go sells all sorts of stuff,snowmobiles,atvs. Even a 15 minute fixed has to be left and picked up the next afternoon. They bought out the place I use to deal with. If anybody has not checked out his website,check it out. Good job on it too. I'm on dial up and the pictures loaded quick.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MidWestTree

Well one nice thing about you guys stuck on dial up service still is that Scott really does answer his phone calls. I mean try asking specific questions about parts or a saw at some other places and see what comes your way for answers, the man know's his stuff and I hope he's always able to answer his own phone.

Paul_H

I refer folks to Scott often if we don't have what they are looking for and have found him helpful too.His website is easy to negotiate too.

Quote from: thecfarm on March 28, 2013, 09:08:02 AM
Even a 15 minute fixed has to be left and picked up the next afternoon.

Ray

We have a que system at our shop where those that brought their machines in first get them worked on first unless a machine is brought in that is needed for a person's livelihood,then they go to the front of the line.

We get a constant barrage of que jumpers that have " just a quick job" and athough it's hard to do,we have to say no sometimes when we're busy.Others that press the issue are asked if they mind if we let the next customers in ahead of them while we work on their stuff.
You can tell after awhile who is in a bind and who are the chronic me first types. ::)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

thecfarm

Paul,there is more to the story. They only have 1-2 mechanics,to work on ALL their stuff, and they have alot of items there. And they are not there all the time.The other place sold only saws and than next door was the tillers,snow blowers,lawn tractors. They had at least 3 guys that worked on stuff. I don't think I ever left my saw there for a ½ hour job. I just got spoiled that's all. I know I'm not the only fish in the ocean.  ;) Sometimes I go at 2pm and they tell me the mechanic went home. The other place the counter people knew how to break chain too. The counter people there have no idea.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chainsawr

That saw really did cut when it was finished!  It's funny that bottom end replacement is probably one of the most common repairs we do on 066.  It takes 10-20 years for the crank and bearings to go, but otherwise it is such a solid saw we don't see them in for a lot of other serious repairs.  I have another one to do next week.

You really had a hard time with a string of bad experiences with your 066.  I hope it cuts flawlessly now for years of use.  I still can't believe that any dealer or mechanic installed a top end kit on that saw.  Anybody who had ever had a chainsaw apart and cared to look inside the crankcase, or feel the crankshaft would have known instantly that there were problems.  The big end rod bearing was sooooo  worn the rod was hitting on the bottom of the case!

Crazy world where it is so hard to find somebody capable of just completing the work correctly. 

I had a customer in the other day shopping for saws.  He had been several other places and we were the 1st that knew the answers to his questions, or was willing to talk to him anyway.  He needed a major education, in modern chainsaws as his last saw was a Mac 10-10.  Of course he bought a new Dolmar.  Anyhow, he asked if we service the saws on-site at the shop.  I had to laugh, YES WE DO!  But it made me realize that was a good intelligent question to ask.  Not something you can assume any more.

If somebody comes in and wants a saw fixed on the spot, we'll do it if it is a quick enough fix but they have to wait for us to handle every other transaction ahead of them, or that comes in while they are waiting.  We usually have the man power to do such things. 
www.chainsawr.com

Over 50,000 parts in stock.

Selling excellent Dolmar chainsaws and power equipment.

High volume Oregon bar and chain dealer.

MidWestTree

Scott, I wish you guys were in my hometown! I turn wrenches on my saws and others because we don't have any service available that's remotely competent. Short of general maintenance and cleaning I'd drop every one of them off to you otherwise. 

Al_Smith

I've had good luck dealing with Scott and usually he's the first I look to for used parts .Matter of fact I have a rebuilder on my bench right now but working 7 days a week I haven't had the time to even see what it needs ,I'll get-er one of these days .

Now I have no idea why some people made such a big deal over a case split like only 10 people in the world know how .The way some pontificate about it takes an Einstein to do it which it does not .

Thank You Sponsors!