iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2 stoke mix oil

Started by Timbercruiser, April 10, 2013, 08:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbercruiser

Has anyone heard of or done any testing to see if synthetic 2 stroke oil is better that conventional stuff ?? I wondered if the saw lasts any longer or not ? any info on the subject is a big help thanks  :)

thecfarm

Al will be here shortly.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

:D  Rather than comment and repeat what's been said at least 50 thousand times on every forum on the web just do a search on the topic .

That in itself should provide about a week of reading material .

beenthere

And how would one REALLY tell if it was the oil or something else? 
Much like gas/fuel addatives.  Just no way to really tell exactly what happens.
Boils down to "whatever feels good" or "sounds good". IMO
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SLawyer Dave

Stihl apparently thinks the synthetic oil will prolong the life of its saws.  I got an extra year warranty just for buying a 6 pack of their synthetic oil when I bought my saw.

sprucebunny

Yup. Stihl doubled my saw warrenty for buying a 6 pack of 'Ultra' oil.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Timbercruiser

I searched the topic on oil and didnt find much good info thats why im asking here. Thanks everyone

thecfarm

I have no idea about the synthetic oil. I use the premix stuff and just to add something more to it,40:1 instead of 50:1 and than I use the highest grade gas I can.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ahlkey

One big advantage is they are "smokeless" and can deliver higher mix ratios.  On my new professional 395XP saw I was surprised that the manufacturer warranty says synthetic is the required oil and if you use something else it only reccomended as temporary. It may part of the new lower emissions requirements.  I actually switched last year on all my saws using Saber and it performs well and the smokeless claim is real.  From a performance standard though I really do not see much of a differance. Personally I think it more important to use higher grade enthanol free gas in your mixture.

cuterz

Stihl doubled mine too even though the utra's rating is lower than most.

coxy

had a dolmar cut off saw ran reg 2 stroke oil in it blowup no warrenty

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

bandmiller2

I don't think it would make any difference to the part time wood slasher.If a professional cutter bought two identicle saws used one with dino outher with syn.and alternated their use day by day same operator same wood mayby we could get an idea.I use synthetic.Whats more important is that Johnny homeowner drains the gas when he's done cutting. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Al_Smith

I dump the old gas from my two cyle stuff and feed it to the old 1951 Fergusen .It will eat anything .If I could just teach it to run on water I might be on to something .

giant splinter

I am wondering how long it will be before the four stroke engines will find their way into the chainsaw market. Makita introduced a four stroke K12 type saw at the 2013 World Of Concrete Show  "power cutter EK7651H" .
Honda has developed a small four stroke motor thats in weed whakers and power winches among other things, many of the moto cross bikes and road bikes have gone to four stroke power.
The thought of mixing a three to four dollar container of oil to a gallon of 91 octane gas in resulting in an saw gas thats costing us six to eight bucks a gallon, makes you wonder about the huge outboard motors and the fuel bill for a half day trip offshore.
roll with it

sawguy21

Saws are the last bastion for two strokes. Dolmar and Shindaiwa have 4 stroke prototypes but Shindaiwa has said they won't produce it until forced to by the Naderites. The drawback is weight (and us Luddites on the FF that refuse to accept them :D).
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

I own a Stihl 066 I bought new in 1992 with 18 years of service on it and have never removed it's cylinder, today it still has very strong compression. I credit its longevity with using only Stihl Premium conventional petroleum mix, made by Castrol commonly called Castrol Super 2 Stroke.
Mind you this saw hasn't run 8 hours a day, but has milled a lot of lumber and has been a main saw in my tree service up to a few years ago when I retired it. Today my saws use full synthetic Stihl Ultra and I'm happy with it, but the old Premium has proved its worth too.
In my photos you see a Stihl gas mix tag on my fuel can, that way I'm always sure which gas can is mixed for safety.
BTW that tag was the brainchild of Steve Meriam my old branch manager when I worked for Stihl Canada in the late 1980s. At the time I passed them out to our dealers and commercial endusers.
Steve today is Stihl USA's national sales and product research / development manager.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Ianab

QuoteI am wondering how long it will be before the four stroke engines will find their way into the chainsaw market.

I can see it happening soon. But the current 4 stroke tech still relies on pre-mix fuel. The engine on a chainsaw needs to run in pretty much any orientation, so a sump and oil pump isn't an option. So you are still going to need to pre-mix. Hopefully they will be more fuel efficient than a 2 stroke, so maybe it will burn though less fuel.

You sure notice the difference in fuel use between the Briggs & Straton on my new mill, VS the 090 on my old mill. That things could drink the gas when milling  :D

Quotemakes you wonder about the huge outboard motors and the fuel bill for a half day trip offshore.

Pretty expensive fish usually  :D  I hassle my buddy that my sawmill cuts more boards than his boat catches fish, AND burns less gas. Another reason that those big outboards have mostly gone to 4 strokes now. Fuel economy.

Something like a chainsaw you are more worried about weight than fuel economy of course. That's probably what's holding them back. More parts, must weigh more, unless they use exotic components, and that's going to cost more....

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Compensation

I have used regular stihl oil with premium fuel in everything 2stroke. Never had a problem except for when I get a pinhole leak in the primer bulb or fuel lines. Engines still run amazing. My thoughts on the new stuff reminds me of the new antifreeze jugs I see, next gen and 50/50. What happened to just regular antifreeze, does it not work anymore.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Al_Smith

The 50/50 anti freeze mix costs more than straight anti freeze and you are payng for the water .Pretty slick trick isn't it .

Years ago P and G  plus Clorox took the water out of bleach and laundry soap .Same basic amount when you add the water ,smaller bottle same price ,less cost of shipping packaging etc .

Thank You Sponsors!