iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Alcatraz

Started by doctorb, March 20, 2012, 01:40:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorb

While some of you may understandably think I should have an extended stay there, we toured Alcatraz island/prison today.  Very startling.  Makes the images of where the inmates where and what they faced very, very real.  To give you some idea of the impact of this tour, my youngest daughter (18) wasn't keen on going.  She's not a complainer at all, but the allure of this place just escaped her.  Then she got into it once we arrived and left totally enthralled.  So if she liked it, your family would too.  If you're ever inSan Francisco, I'd advise you make time for this tour.  Beautiful views of the Golden Gate Bridge, the Oakland Bridge, and the city from there.

No I haven't seen the new TV show.  After today, I'm not sure need to, no matter how good it is.   
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Okrafarmer

Well, I hope I don't ever have to go to California, but if I do, I'll keep that in mind. Along with the redwoods, there ought to be a few other wonderful things to see there.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

beenthere

It was better before the Indians camped there under protest and destroyed a lot of it. Some of it may have been rehab'd back.
My daughters were really put out that the warden's home on the island was so nice compared to the conditions within the prison walls. But then, they were in prison doing hard time. The warden wasn't.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Okrafarmer on March 20, 2012, 01:52:49 AM
Well, I hope I don't ever have to go to California, but if I do, I'll keep that in mind. Along with the redwoods, there ought to be a few other wonderful things to see there.

Don't let the politics scare you away from California. It's got the most beautiful scenery in the world. Plus, everyone with a sawmill needs to drool at the sequoias and redwoods at least once in their lives. ;D

Think I can get customsawyer to split this one into cants that will fit on an LT40? ???
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

tcsmpsi

Yes, there are many places of unique attributes in California.  I lived there for a while in the Pismo Beach area and close to Taft (eyeblink between the coast and Bakersfield).  Had an ol' BSA Wasp that I used to get me to trailheads all over the state for going on 2 or 3 day hikes.  I never noticed politics.   :D  But, waking up in the morning, sleeping under one of those Redwoods, surely has its own perspective.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

terry f

Doctorb, like everone said it's worth the short trip to see the redwoods, even if you've seen them before. General Sherman is on my bucket list, but thats a longer drive.

talldog

Hey Doc,How are you filling your boiler if your in California?
Just kidding.Its so hot here in Maine that I don't really need mine running. Just too cheap to shut her down just yet as we all know it will get colder again.

WDH

Dodgy,

I think that one will need a LT70  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ron Scott

We toured Alcatraz a few years ago. My youngest daughter who is a juvenile probation officer wanted to visit it. The Native Americans has just given up their strong hold there.

One of the inmates that spent time there had written as book about his life of crime and how he ended up on Alcatraz. He was in residence there for the Park Service at the time autographing his book and telling storys about "The Rock". Very interesting.

Also saw the famous red woods.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,13798.msg194146.html#msg194146
~Ron

Okrafarmer

LT7000.  :o

Well, if I ever have to go, I will be sure to see them.

Actually I will be briefly in California (LAX airport, AGAIN >:( ) as I fly to Micronesia and back, in May. I know it's not fair to judge a place by its airport-- but then again-- as far as the fruits and nuts are concerned, I think that airport beats them all.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

doctorb

Intersting combination.....giant redwoods and prisons.

I went to the Muir Woods National Monument today.  Now, the tallest redwoods are coastal redwoods, like the ones I was privileged to walk through and under today.  The largest trees, the most massive trees, are the sequoias in Sequioia National Park.  I saw them decades ago and plan to go back but not this trip.

The Indian occupation of Alcatraz is an interesting, and rather dead, piece of history.  Yes, they helped ruin the remains of a historic place in the name of their rights.  Based upon the old treaties, they may have had a point.  Then you get to the issue of what was gained, besides publicity, and the answer is...not a lot.  Still, I enjoyed the tour.  I also enjoyed the Redwoods.... more.  Quite a site and worth putting on your to do list.  They are only about 40 - 45 minutes out od San Francisco, so it takes very little effort tom see something that is truly spectacular. 

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Okrafarmer

If I had just had to endure San Francisco (ok, or any city in any state, for that matter), I would be about ready for some redwoods. I don't just dislike California, I dislike anyplace with cities.

::)

sandhills

Okrafarmer, it takes all kinds.  I have a first cousin that will literally have panic attacks from the silence of our farm, personally I'd rather be in the middle of a section with no lights, no people, and no sounds other than nature.  She's used to lights, horns, and people, I couldn't live in her world any sooner than she could in mine.

Okrafarmer

Yeah, I grew up in central Maine, our biggest city in the state was Portland, which barely qualifies as a city in some peoples' estimation. We lived nearly 100 miles away from it, in the rural part of a "town" of around 3500 people. I grew up in the woods, and we could not see another house from our house. The road was discontinued after our driveway and was basically a logging road from there. I got lost in the woods at least twice as a toddler. Once they had to get all the neighbors to help find me. Another time my mom found me in the woods-- the main reason I hadn't come back was because I had lost a shoe.  ;D

customsawyer

The wife and I was out that way a few years ago. Rent you a harley and ride up the coast. It is a great way to wear out a camera. The wife was on the back of the bike and I wouldn't be surprised if they had to replace the seat. She was twisting and turning in the seat so much that there had to be years taken off of its life. Had to change the oil in the camera 3 times on that trip.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!