iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw troubles !

Started by MakitaDcs400, March 14, 2005, 06:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MakitaDcs400

Well im adjusting the carb on my Makita.  And as far as the high speed screw goes I can adjust it so the engine sounds good on top end with just a big of bog (I guess you could call it).  But when I do this and I rev the saw up a few times the saw sometimes revs out more then other times (makes me believe there is an air leak).  I was wondering if you guys had an idea of what the problem is or if you think it could possibly be an air leak ?  By the way the idle is consistent.

Inappropriate language has been edited; 3/15 by Chet

Lobo

You can not only adjust the high speed screw and expect an even smooth engine, you should re-adjust them all. That Makita is actually a Dolmar saw and is of the best in quality so you should be happy with it once properly adjusted

Follow the instructions as per the attached link and you should do a lot better:

http://www.madsens1.com/sawtune.htm

MakitaDcs400

yeah I know you cant adjust just the high speed screw and that you have to adjust them all (not the first carb I have adjusted).  I also knew the saw was made by Dolmar (according to the dealer here they're not that good he hasnt stopped selling new clutches and sprockets for this particular model).    When this saw was new it was great.  My brother owned this saw up til a few weeks ago and well he hasnt looked after it well.  I just had to take the carb apart and clean it due to him leaving fuel in it.  He abuses everything he owns.  I have seen him in the past run raw gas through an Echo chainsaw (that saw still runs today 12 years after it was bought on the original piston and ring).  Im gonna try and adjust the carb again tomorrow one last time.   I find once I get it adjusted good to where it "four strokes" on top end that sometimes when I hold the throttle open it doesnt four stroke and revs out more than the last time I held the throttle open.   I know this saw can be a good saw when the bugs get worked out.  Sorry for not explaining myself better in the above post I just hate leaving a book for people to read !
Oh by the way thanks for the help !

Lobo

Sorry I didn't  mean to be offensive in anyway or portray you as a  newbie either. I was just trying to help and sometimes we just do things too fast and it comes  across poorly.

Just a few thoughts on the problem, perhaps still residued in not so obvious places, have you tried spraying B&S carb cleaner or any other brand a couple more times. Is there a fuel filter that could also be replaced. Did you also clean out the lines along with the carb.

Good luck

MakitaDcs400

LOL  no need to apologize !  In my above post I didn't mean to imply that I was offended no offence taken the more help the better.  You didn't know me or know my skill level so you were just trying your best to give me advice.  Im gonna go out later today and check the saw out.  Oh and thanks for the help !
Just noticed my above post was edited for Inappropriate language I dont recall putting anything in there, maybe I did and if I did I apologize.  I'll try and watch the way I word things from now on !

bassfisher

The madsens link posted does not connect for me, could you please confirm that is the accurate link?

TIA
"Waste not time, for time is the stuff that life is made up of." B.Franklin
Stihl 045AV 034AV--Stihl 026 Husky 65-- XL-76-- Echo 3450  Case 580SE JDeere 440 ICD
Bancroft-the mineral capital of canada & one of the last places that legally allows men to stretch (trapped) beavers without spousal permit

Lobo

Quote from: bassfisher on March 15, 2005, 07:58:53 PM
The madsens link posted does not connect for me, could you please confirm that is the accurate link?

TIA

I just tried it and it worked for me.

However here you go again.

www.madsens1.com/sawtune.htm

Thank You Sponsors!