iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

dolmar 5100

Started by OLD_ JD, June 24, 2006, 07:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OLD_ JD

Thinking about switching from husky 346xp to dolmar 5100 since i read a lot of good stuff about that one in this forum, nothing bad whit the 346xp but the prize of the dolmar is good, dealer is closer too...just wonder what you folk's think about it again.   Tank's JD
canadien forest ranger

Sawyerfortyish

JD I'de like to know about the Dolmars myself. Talked to the dolmar reps last year at boonville for a long time. I'm in Stihl country here I own about 25 of em with one husky thrown in. The Dolmar dealer is the problem or lack of a dealer nearby. I hear they really run and if you get one worked up with some modifications there hard to beat. I just hate to have to go in two directions for saw parts.
Did you mean the model 6100? I don't remember a 5100 maybe I'm wrong. If they were stihl numbers I would know what i'm talking about.

Sawyerfortyish

Just went to Dolmars website I was wrong on the model # there is a 5100 it's a nice looking saw I was thinking of the 6400 not a 6100.

limbrat

Hi
I bought a ps. 510 back in march and dont regret it at all. I have only put about 10gals. of gas through it but it has not given me any problem. It has the best vibration control of any saw i have ever run and were the air filter is it does not need as much cleaning as my stil o34 did. I did take the spur type drive sproket off and got a regular sproket. I threw the chain a couple times while limbing , changed the sproket no more problem. I have run the husky 455 and the stil 310 I like the dolmar better because of the vibration control and less problem with the air filter and price and power. Im running a 3/8 pitch and a 20in. bar and have cut several oaks near 40 in. the saw dont mind so i dont. It only turns at 12500 rpms. but i think they have a ps.510s that turns 14500, the 12500 is all i need .
ben

Sawyerfortyish

You guys got my attention with this 5100. On dolmars website it turns 14500rpm my old 034 stihl only turns 12500. limbrat where did you get the parts to change from spur to rim sprocket?

sawguy21

limbrat, ONLY 10 gal of gas ??? :D :D That is a fair bit of running, glad you like it. I have yet to try one.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ehp

the 5100 is a very strong 50cc saw , stronger than a 346 by quite abit . It is the only 50cc saw that you can buy a 18 inch bar and chain in 3/8 's 0n the saw and it has lots of power to run it in stock form. It is .3 of a pound heavier than a 346 and has alot more compression with no decompressure . I have no trouble starting one but if thats a problem you should try one first.  Yes it turns 14500 rpms and that is on a limiter in the coil , if it didnot have one it would be higher than that . Its a very good 50 cc saw  with power and quiet

limbrat

I got the rim sprocket from the distribitor its a factory option like the 20"bar.
Its a real sweet little saw.
When i was there i fondled the 6400 it a 3.9ci saw rated for up to a 32" bar, it was tempting but since i dont make my living with them any more i passed.
The kill switch took some getting use to, it kills down and chokes up so the first couple of times i killed it i choked it dead insead of turning the switch off.
ben

rahtreelimbs

The 5100 in stock form gets the nod over the 346. The only problem is the rev-limiting coil. You can't tach the saw and it comes rich even if you set it just under the rev-limit.
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

pallis

I just got a 5100s.  I don't know how it compares to a 346xp, but you won't be disappointed.   

vgbob

I picked a 5100 over the Husky 357 or 359 and the Stihl 361. And those
are all bigger saws. No regrets so far, I've had the saw since March.
And I don't even have a local dealer, although that may be important
to  you. It's not a big saw, but I wanted something smaller than my
70CC saws, and it fits the bill perfectly for me.

jokers

I`ll give a thumbs up to the 5100s if you are going to stay stock, all bets are off if you are going to modify the saw, even just a good woods mod on a 346 puts it right there, or better, with a good modified 5100. I sold my 5100 and got another EHP 346 but this is a highly subjective and personal choice.

GlennG

I have 2 5100`s . Fantastic saws they are. Smmooth , powerful and so far bomb-proof. My 026`s will be ebayed soon.  They are used professionaly on a daily basis. I had to mail order mine, wish I had a Dolmar dealer close by thats the only neg.

GG

Thank You Sponsors!