iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Problem with my Honda

Started by ohsoloco, October 30, 2002, 09:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohsoloco

My lumbermate has a 20hp Honda engine on it, and lately I've been having problems with it stalling or sputtering after every cut I make.  The engine is a year old, and I've only cut maybe 6,000-10,000 bd. ft. of lumber on it so far.  It worked fine when it was new, but then it started sputtering after I let the throttle off after each cut, and now it almost always stalls every time.  If I try and start it back up right after stalling, I have to crank it for a few seconds, and even then it just doesn't seem to want to start.  If it sits for at least half a minute or more after stalling, it fires right back up.  I'm taking it to have someone look at it on Saturday, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had such a problem, or could make any suggestions for me?  Thanks.

Brian_Bailey

Have you checked the fuel filter?  My Wisconsin was doing the same thing, replaced the filter and it ran fine.
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Weekend_Sawyer

Have you checked your air filter, after 20 hours mine gets a lot of sawdust in it.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

ohsoloco

I haven't checked the fuel filter yet...I took the air filter out and tapped all of the loose sawdust out of it..should I replace it when it gets that bad?   Thanks for the responses.

Noble_Ma

Might be moisture in your tank too?  Just a thought.

Kevin

Plugs are cheap, you might try replacing the plug but I wouldn`t do too much with it if it`s still under warranty.
Might also be oil pressure related.

Jeff

Sure sounds like a fuel filter problem to me. Usually anytime a motor sets a few seconds, then starts normally, then sputters and spits after running a little thats what I suspect.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

Really sounds like fuel. Replace the filter and try a LITTLE dry gas in the tank. Harold
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

RMay

Sounds like low sp. needle jet in carborater it can have trash or water under it . My WM will do it sometines try unhooking gas line and runing gas out with motor running it works some tines is it running like choke is out when it is low R P M
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

ARKANSAWYER

Since it has been a year  I would change the oil and tune it up and replace all filters.  Then run it and see if it is any better.  It needs to be done any way and may save you a repair bill.  A clogged fuel filter could cause this problem as weak plugs.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

BRP

Water in the fuel is my vote.I just cleaned all my tanks because of this.The gas stations get alot of condensation in the tanks.I worked at one years ago and could not beleive the amount of water fuel collects. ::)

ohsoloco

Thanks for all of the help so far!  I'm still looking for a new air and fuel filter for my engine.  I've been calling all around and can't find anyone that carries these parts.  For such a popular engine, it certainly is hard to find parts for them.

P.A.Scott

I have the same motor on my saw and almost every time I finish a cut my saw shuts off but refires with the touch of the key . Im thinking about turning the idle up a little but I only have about 12 hours on it  and I dont  think i should get get in there and start turning screws! Maybe its time to put the cold weather kit on that came in the motor box. Or maybe its just this P.A. air.                                                                                                                                     Thanks     Scott

GarryW

The Kohler on my new mill had the same problem. But I was advised not to adjust the idle speed unless I still had trouble after the motor had a few hours (25 or so) on it. After about 10 hours, the idle crept up and it didn't stall out when I ended the cut.

garry
Garry

Thank You Sponsors!