iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

24 horse honda problem

Started by mac, June 24, 2007, 11:42:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac

My honda is surging at full throttle,with no load. you put it under a load and it runs ok,then when you throttle back it will all most die??? ??? ??? :-\

Fla._Deadheader

Sounds like water or dirt in the carb. ??  My 20 Horse ran kinda like that. Mine finally quit and needed the carb removed and cleaned. Try a drygas type fluid.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

ladylake

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

woodmills1

open up carb top careful and use paper towel to take out gas rust and dirt.  It wont leak on assembly if you are careful with gasket.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

swampy

The one on Homey started doing that and on the bottom of the carb there is a electical wire that goes to the solenoid that pulses as the engine is running. Take the carb off and take that solenoid out and make sure it is CLEAN and moves Very freely. If it sticks any at all it will make the engine run bad at idle and not get all the gas it needs at full throttle. I did this and it runs good now. There was a little bit of water in the tank and when it gets to the carb it sits in the bottom, when it sits for a while it will start to gum up. Be sure to use a non residue carb cleaner and do not use any lube on it as it will gum up quicker.
It only takes a little sawdust to become addicted. It's even better when you build your own. (HOMEMIZER a.k.a. HOMEY)

Tim L

I had a problem with my 24 honda last year. The solenoid for the low oil fuel shut off (bottom of carb ) stuck and had to be cleaned. This year at first starting it ran doggy so I gave the fuel a healthy dose of Mystery oil . After about 15 minutes the engine came into it and has run fine since.
Do the best you can and don't look back

mac

I had the local small engine guy come out .He took the carb off cleaned it,checked the coils and valve clearance.Started it up and samething,surgingat full throttle.He gave up. :'(

Tim L

Tim L

Did you try to by-pass the solenoid ? It might be worth a shot.

solidwoods

If the solenoid is on the carb body, its the fuel shut off.  If it doesn't open all the way then you will have carb bowl starvation.

Water in the gas is usually the culprit.  It causes corrosion and fuel fungus.
The engine man that took off the carb,,, did he open the carb and clean the bowl?
If corrosion is in the bowl,, a flake of it can get into the high speed fuel path and cause low fuel at high speed.

The engine has low speed problem also,,,, could be corrosion like above.

Engine oil low sending units go bad yes but their symptoms aren't surging,, its no spark no run symptoms.  even though they can have vibration failure symptoms also ,, the check for bad low oil sending unit is disconnect it and check the engine run.

Outdoor small gas tanks are notorious for collecting condensation and making a pool of water in the tank,, then the engine sucks it up causing corrosion in the bowl problems.

Loose wire causing ignition short,, no.

jim

Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Thank You Sponsors!