iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White Oak Log

Started by sawwood, October 31, 2013, 06:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawwood

This is my first try at putting a video in a post. In the other post on a big White Oak
I had some photos but wanted to make a video of us cutting that log into two pieces.
I forgot to take the camera that day so missed cutting it in two pieces . So when I
went out to trim it so it would fit the mill, the customer came out to help and he
operated the camera. Didn't get much of what I was doing but it shows some of what
I did. I still have the Sycamore to split and now that I know how to set the camera
up for videos will make a better video of splitting it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48nbbs4INxg
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Sawing lengthways, I would have expected more "worms" and less sawdust  ???   smiley_headscratch
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

How often did you sharpen the chain while making that cut?  Just curious.

Also, how many tanks of fuel?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Solomon

Quote from: beenthere on October 31, 2013, 11:02:58 PM
How often did you sharpen the chain while making that cut?  Just curious.

Also, how many tanks of fuel?
Yea,  same questions.  Thats gotta be a tough cut to make even under the best of conditions.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

sawwood

I had two chains and with splinting the log and trimming the sides i sharped about 5 times. As for gas the homelite
use lots of gas. I think i used 6 tanks all total. Plus i used lots of bar oil too. Wish i had taken a photo of us moving
the half log to the mill, the tractor just about didn't lift it and had to have the customer ride on the front of the
tractor of added weight. I still need to add up the total BF to see what we came up with. Its been raining so haven't
had a chance to do that.

Like i said i have a large sycamore to cut and will do a start to finish video of that.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

drobertson

Good show sawwood, looks like a good days work,  I've been messing around with sawing out planks with my chain saw, only on pine, that ole white oak looks like it was putting up a good fight for sure.   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

dboyt

Splitting that log must have been epic.  You might consider getting a tripod and just let the video camera roll.  Looking forward to seeing what you do with the sycamore!

Quote from: drobertson on November 01, 2013, 07:20:00 AM
I've been messing around with sawing out planks with my chain saw, only on pine, that ole white oak looks like it was putting up a good fight for sure.   david

Dave, do you find using a chainsaw quicker than the WM?  If so, I'll bring my mill up for a day! :D
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

drobertson

Not quite Dave, but it is kinda neat to mess around with logs like this.    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!