iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling for Shed

Started by Andrews, November 02, 2013, 07:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrews

I'm new to the forum and am interested in milling my own lumber for the construction of a 20x24 shed. Live in South Carolina where the excessive rain uprooted 3 24" diameter White Oaks on our farm and plan to cut for the remainder of the lumber necessary. I plan on building immediately and allowing the lumber to season after construction(as I understand this is necessary when building with oak). The structure will be over six inches off the ground on pier foundations of treated lumber. The structure will be screened in initially as a large screened picnic area with the option to enclose later.

Nobody in my area seems to know much about building with unseasoned lumber, which is my main concern. I'm partial to the idea of building with what is available to me, which is the main reason I'm not simply buying dried pine from the local box store. I've attached a picture of the general idea I'm attempting.

Is horizontal cross bracing adequate or should I use diagonal for studs?
Any thoughts or experience you may have would be appreciated. I've already found a ton of useful information here. Thanks!

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Andrews.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kipper

Welcome to Forestry Forum. What part of SC are you from?
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger
Too many trailers to count and all Stihl Saws!!

drobertson

There is no reason why you can not obtain your objective.  It has been done for years,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

I'm sure no expect with building with cut the tree in the morning,build with it in the afternoon.but I have done it twice so far. One was done about 5-6 years ago and one I am still building.The building you pictured is kinda like what I did. Now if you was insulating it,and sheetrocking it the next day,that would be a different story. I have no idea about your bracing question. And welcome to the forum.
This is what I am working on
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,69197.msg1038234.html#msg1038234
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!