iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grocery shopping Alaska style.

Started by mart, October 21, 2015, 07:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mart

I headed out to the Alaska grocery store last month to fill the freezer. I had a cow tag and a beautiful Alaska morning. Best part was I was able to get the 4 wheeler right to her. I turned in the lower jaw to F&G and they aged her as a two year old. She was a huge for a two year old. That's been some good eating so far.

I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

beenthere

Congrats... what model is the left hand bolt action?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mart

Here's the wheeler helping out. Dressing a moose by one's self is a daunting task.

And the final product loaded up and ready to head for home. About 250-300 pounds once it's all done.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

mart

It's a model 70 Winchester in a wildcat round, the 400 Whelen.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

sandhills

Well done, I'd love to hunt moose someday, and you folks up there have some of the prettiest country I've ever seen, that alone would probably ruin any chance I'd have at a successful hunt but oh well, it'd be worth it  ;).

clww

Congratulations on filling the freezer! 8)
That's a great round that never got the press and following it should have for big game (moose, elk, bear).
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

mart

Thanks guys. The cow tag I drew is a good one in a great area. I'd like to take a really big bull but I'm just as happy to have a tender two year old in the freezer. We relish wild game and have lived on it all of our married life.

The 400 is a great round. It has developed a small, almost cult following in recent years. Mine has taken one caribou and one moose since I built it. I'm hoping next week it will take another caribou and perhaps a bear.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

Ron Scott

~Ron

repmma

Sweet!  I like your chambering.  I've got a 35 Whelen, nothing wrong with those old "plain" non magnum rounds.
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

Ken

Very nice.  Hats off to you for dressing out and processing your animal solo.  Not an easy task.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

mart

Thanks guys. I have the little brother to that rifle, a left handed 35 Whelen. It makes caribou fall over nicely.

My wife and I cut and wrapped it a week after these pictures were taken. It's pretty satisfying to sit down to a nice steak or pot roast knowing you took it all the way from the field to the plate yourself.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

Magicman

Congrats on your "shopping" trip.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

azmtnman

1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

kc9ljo

Nothing better than filling the freezer. Someday I WILL make a trip to the Alaskan grocery store. My brother lives in Anchorage, so I have a "guide" up there just waiting for me.

thecfarm

Not many "shoppers" waiting to check out I see.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mart

I guess I should tell the whole story of this hunt. I found this meadow three or four days before I got this cow. It's about 400 acres and about a half mile in from the end of a gravel road. There's a trail that leads from the road to this meadow and then another trail that goes about a half mile further to another meadow that opens up to a miles long swamp/meadow.

The night before I took this cow I was in the upper end of the big meadow and spotted a cow feeding in the brush but couldn't get a shot. She needed to move forward a couple of steps to give me a shot. She had no clue I was there and all I had to do was wait. About that time a four wheeler came into the big meadow from a different trail. That ended my hunt for the evening. She departed for the heavy timber. No fault of the guys on the wheeler. They never saw me and had no idea what was about to transpire.

The next morning was one of those perfect Alaska fall mornings. Clear and bright and a hard frost had turned everything crunchy. It was a challenge to work my way along the trail. Every step sounded like walking on potato chips. I spotted the cow about 100 yards away but screened by grass and brush. I managed to work my way around the brush and got to 75 yards before I had a clear shot. She made me about that time but seemed none to concerned, only taking a step or two away from me towards the timber. I let the front sight center in the rear receiver sight and sent a 400 grain bullet on its way. She dropped with her spine crushed. I quieted her trashing with one round from my Ruger Bisley 44 Special. Anyone who has ever taken a moose or an elk by themselves has had that moment when they look at the size of the animal and say, "what did I just do". It's a bit overwhelming at first. I thanked God for his bounty and headed back to the truck for my wheeler and my butchering tools.

I had just started into the work when I heard a crashing in the brush about 50 yards away. Alaska is home to a thriving population of bears so my first thought went to the possibility of a hungry visitor. I checked the 400 and made sure it was ready for service. The brush cracking continued until a young bull stepped out. He was about 34-36 inches and had two brow tines, what is referred to as a sub-legal bull. Bulls either have to be a spike, a fork, have at least three brow tines or be wider than 50 inches and having just filled my tag I couldn't have shot him anyway. He looked right at me and made a bee line straight toward me. I waved my arms, shouted and revved the wheeler. It only served to stop him for a moment. He started in my direction again. I fired one revolver round in the dirt near me. He ignored it. I fired two rounds in the dirt near him. That stopped him but didn't seem to dissuade him. He was about 25 yards away at this point and I was starting to consider the possibility of retreat when a cow stepped out of the same patch of brush. His interest immediately turned to her, thankfully. He chased her around that corner of the meadow only 30-35 yards away. All I could do was watch. I didn't dare take my attention off the bull. Finally after they had their little game of tag he attempted to mount her. She wanted no part of that and coyly darted away. He made a second attempt only to be rebuffed. Having enough of his antics, she headed back into the dark timber. Typical of bulls in late September, he trailed her closely, his upper lip curled up over his nose. I waited until I could no longer hear and brush cracking and resumed my work. It made for an interesting morning.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

Ken

A bull moose during the rutting season is the only thing that I am concerned about in our woods.   That must have been quite an experience.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Thank You Sponsors!