iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New customer, fired customer.

Started by customsawyer, November 04, 2015, 07:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

I do agree if you sharpen a blade with a dremel that it would be hard on the grinding wheel to get the teeth all uniform again, But I don't think that the teeth need to be uniform to cut good. The dermel works great for me so I'll keep at it and I have no complaints on the cut I'm getting. In fact I'm very happy with the cuts I'm getting.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kingmt

Quote from: Joe Hillmann on November 05, 2015, 11:25:04 AM

I kind of agree with kingmt on this. 

Although I don't think I would believe who says a blade sharpened with a dremal cuts better than new.  I may cut much better than it did when dull but I doubt better than new.
Actually they weren't using a Dremal. One was a 6" grinder an other I think was a belt sander.

I like doing things for myself so that is worth a lot to me.

I'd love to see a video of the lathe job or at least a picture of the jig.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

Delawhere Jack

Just build one of these....

;D

Short of that, you MIGHT get acceptable results with a jig to hold the Dremel that registers off the base of a tooth several teeth ahead, and the gullet several teeth behind. Even with a jig though, you're not grinding the gullet, so you may only get 3-4 sharpenings instead of 6-10 on each band.

Even if you've got hands as steady as a brain surgeon, you're just not going to hold a Dremel steady enough for consistent results.

Kingmt

That looks really sweet. Do you have more pictures of it?

Kbeitz

Some of my lumber cut with the dremel sharpened blades...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

hackberry jake

I don't see any reason sharpening like this wouldn't work for one or two sharpenings.
https://youtu.be/-vcDSPNxPW8
It wouldn't affect the gullet shape, and every 2 or 3 sharpenings send it off and have it professionally done. Or just sharpen it 3 times and throw it away. I am glad my sharpener is automatic though. Looks hard on the back and wrists.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Kbeitz

I dont do the top.
My dremel stone is 5/16" and fits right in the gullet.
Lost count how many time I've sharpened one blade.
I'll run them untill the blade brakes and thats a long time.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

customsawyer

Quote from: hackberry jake on November 05, 2015, 10:40:01 PM
I don't see any reason sharpening like this wouldn't work for one or two sharpenings.
https://youtu.be/-vcDSPNxPW8
It wouldn't affect the gullet shape, and every 2 or 3 sharpenings send it off and have it professionally done. Or just sharpen it 3 times and throw it away. I am glad my sharpener is automatic though. Looks hard on the back and wrists.

Taking hand sharpened blades and then trying to fix them on a machine would be pretty hard on the rock or CBN wheel.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Cutting Edge

Quote from: Magicman on November 05, 2015, 07:59:01 AM

CBN "wheels" can not be used to change or to correct a profile.

Actually, there are such CBN wheels available specifically designed and manufactured for this task.  BUT, they won't efficiently correct variances in tooth spacing ... no sharpening equipment that I'm aware will.

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

bkaimwood

I agree with alot of thoughts, theory, and statements made in this thread by nearly every member...as we go through this thread, don't forget to put things into context...very few situations or methods are acceptable or produce as high quality results as sharpening a blade with the right manufacturer designed equipment. We are a different breed, with skills your average Joe can hardly dream of having. Many members have made home made setups that are precise and consistent... Once again, not average Joe's...I go by the 9 out of 10 rule in most things in life, most people are the 9 out of 10...again, we are not average Joe's, we are a different breed... All the hacked up blades were sharpened using sub standard methods by average Joe's without the special skill set most of us have. Hack jobs and those who do them are all around us in every industry, and unfortunately common, hence the 9 out of 10 rule. I see it every day. I'm also with Kbeitz... Clearly a 1 in 10...some just have the eye and the hand, as most our breed does, in one way or another do...his success and longevity proving it is a testament... I too, can sharpen a high speed steel drill bit on a grinder, and in 10 seconds, have it ready to throw noodles through another 2 feet of plate steel...precision sharpener needed? I don't think so...as for sharpening my own band blades...probably soon, just haven't decided which route I will go...
bk

sandsawmill14

some say its impossible while some do it everyday :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

bkaimwood

Thanks for summing it up, sandsawmill14
bk

Magicman

Remember that the OP was not about whether one could hand sharpen blades.  It was whether those hand sharpened blades would meet the profile and be sharpened on Jake's resharpening equipment.  They could not.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Kingmt on November 05, 2015, 07:44:45 PM
That looks really sweet. Do you have more pictures of it?

Yeah, there are a couple more pics in my gallery. Basically copied the  Cat Claw design. Mostly cabinet grade birch plywood I salvaged from a shipping crate. Spent a good deal of time researching and building it, but I had more time than money at that point. It works great.

Edit: Still have not motorized the band feed, so I get to turn the crank 180x's per band..... Guess I've still got more time than money... ::) Not too bad though, less than 3 minutes per band.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on November 05, 2015, 07:33:52 PM
Just build one of these....

;D

Short of that, you MIGHT get acceptable results with a jig to hold the Dremel that registers off the base of a tooth several teeth ahead, and the gullet several teeth behind. Even with a jig though, you're not grinding the gullet, so you may only get 3-4 sharpenings instead of 6-10 on each band.

Even if you've got hands as steady as a brain surgeon, you're just not going to hold a Dremel steady enough for consistent results.

Nice,  smiley_thumbsup smiley_beertoast
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

gmmills

The issue in the OP was not if Customsawyer's blade maintenance equipment was capable of re-profiling the blades. More as, it was not cost- effective labor wise to do so versus the cost of a new blade. By them time the blade was re-profiled, the over all width would be too narrow and this also equates to the loss of tooth heat treatment. These factors would negate the re-profiling of these hand sharpened blades.
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Banjo picker

Seems to me it boils down to this:  If you can sharpen your bands with a hand held tool, that's good.  If it is as good as new or better, that's great, but if it turns out that you find out that you have bands that are now messed up, either fix them on your own or throw them away, because not many people are going to take on fixing your mistakes.  That's just my take on it your results may differ.  ;)  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Nomad

Quote from: Banjo picker on November 07, 2015, 02:24:56 PM
Seems to me it boils down to this:  If you can sharpen your bands with a hand held tool, that's good.  If it is as good as new or better, that's great, but if it turns out that you find out that you have bands that are now messed up, either fix them on your own or throw them away, because not many people are going to take on fixing your mistakes.  That's just my take on it your results may differ.  ;)  Banjo

X2
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Cazzhrdwd

I have to sharpen hundreds of blades per year, I don't sharpen them myself, I send them to Woodmizer in NY. What I don't understand is why so many of you would waste time sharpening when it only cost about 9.00 a blade to have them sharpened. I don't know how long it takes to sharpen one but if it takes 30 minutes are you guys making 18 dollars an hour? I just can't see how it would possibly be worth it. Add to that sharpening them without the proper equipment? I really don't get it.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

deadfall

While I will never come out on it, I still intend to buy someone's sharpening and setting system eventually, whether new or used.   I just plain like doing blades.  I like boards that are smooth, right off the mill.

I just bought another stripped down travel trailer frame from Craigslist.  The plan is to make a mobile tool shed that can travel with the mill, even if I never go mobile again.  I have no covered space for a sharpener setup, so there's the plan.  I bought a brand new Folley Bellsaw SharpAll for a killer price last year (again Craigslist), and I can put that in there as well and grind my buzz saw blades too. It's not yet been out of the box.  I just love to sharpen all kinds of things. 

W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Cazzhrdwd on November 07, 2015, 07:42:51 PM
I have to sharpen hundreds of blades per year, I don't sharpen them myself, I send them to Woodmizer in NY. What I don't understand is why so many of you would waste time sharpening when it only cost about 9.00 a blade to have them sharpened. I don't know how long it takes to sharpen one but if it takes 30 minutes are you guys making 18 dollars an hour? I just can't see how it would possibly be worth it. Add to that sharpening them without the proper equipment? I really don't get it.

I have to agree with this.
I know its fun trying new ways to do things such as sharpening blades.
And for you guys that sharpen your own blades, I'm sure you have a very good reason and I respect your choice.
When it comes to me, my faith is in the resharp program with Woodmizer.
I don't worry about hook, set, angles, cracks, shipping or any of that stuff. My time is to valuable to worry about blades.
I can depend on WM to have me sharp blades all the time...and thanks to their resharp program, I make more money and have more family time.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Kingmt

I make about $20 an hour & have to drive an hour & a half to get there. I hear it takes about 10 minutes a blade so yeah it would be worth my time. Besides that I like to stay as independent as I can. Also have you ever heard a penny saved is a dollar earned? Saving money is easier then having to go out & get another one. However if you can make it faster then you can spend it then by all means.

I've seen sawers that say they won't mess with having blades resharpened. That the wood they cut is to expensive to take the chance with them & it isn't cost effective for them to take the time to mess with them.

So to each there own. Everyone has to decide what is best for them.

Cazzhrdwd

Quote from: Kingmt on November 07, 2015, 08:52:24 PM
I make about $20 an hour & have to drive an hour & a half to get there. I hear it takes about 10 minutes a blade so yeah it would be worth my time. Besides that I like to stay as independent as I can. Also have you ever heard a penny saved is a dollar earned? Saving money is easier then having to go out & get another one. However if you can make it faster then you can spend it then by all means.

I've seen sawers that say they won't mess with having blades resharpened. That the wood they cut is to expensive to take the chance with them & it isn't cost effective for them to take the time to mess with them.

So to each there own. Everyone has to decide what is best for them.

I understand what you're sayin but a piece of equipment that cost 30-40 thousand demands a certain wage. 20.00 per hour does not pay for a sawmill business. I quit doing custom saws because the work wasn't consistent. I found out what was needed in the wholesale lumber market and went there.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

Chuck White

But when you're retired X2, and old, and your mill doesn't owe you anything, it's a good thing to be able to do your own blades!  ;)

Takes me about 10-15 minutes to set a blade, then about 4-5 minutes to run it around the sharpener!

Now, don't get me wrong, a resharp service is a wonderful service to have available, and if you're really busy sawing, it makes sence to use it!

Where abouts are you located, Cazzhrdwd?

With your username, sounds like somewhere near Cazenovia!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kingmt

Cazzhrdwd
I don't have any of the sharpening equipment. If I try it then it would be by other means then the fancy sharpeners that I've seen. I also don't do this as a business. I just saw for myself to save money on lumber.

Thank You Sponsors!