iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Close call

Started by Jeff, May 13, 2018, 11:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

First time for me. I was adjusting a backstop, then turned to walk back around the saw head that was runniing and BAM. The blade shot like a bullet completely out the sawdust discharge raking my jeans ever so slightly. The young man that was on the other side of the saw shouted are you alright? As he said it looked like it went through me from his vantage point. Just a perspective illusion.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

tacks Y

SawyerTed

Wow!  Glad you are okay.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

POSTON WIDEHEAD

:o Ya never know. 
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

tmbrcruiser

Thankfully it was a close call. We all live and learn from close calls!
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

Peter Drouin

Good your ok, Next time stop the blade before you go walking around the mill.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

mad murdock

Especially glad to hear you were uninjured!  Could have been a lot worse.  So many ways one can get hurt doing the things we do around wood and sawmilling. Always when you least expect or think it could even occur.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

fishpharmer

Could have been catastrophic, happy to hear you are ok Jeff.   Do You happen to know the history of the blade? Not that it really matters now.  I know new bands break but, the odds go up after every sharpening (the way I understand it).
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

ladylake

http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=101298.0

Reminds me of this thread,  mine are still in the chute but I did make the chute longer which helped clogging a lot..  The only time I have trouble clogging is sawing basswood fast with too much set..  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Brad_bb

Oh I'd never walk around the head with the drive engaged.... yeah right.  That is not uncommon for me when doing extreme curved timbers.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Crossroads

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Ljohnsaw

Glad you're good to go.  So far, the only band I broke was with my chainsaw cutting a slab off - got a little too close with the chainsaw. :-X  The band saw was off at the time.  I make it a habit to stop the blade after every cut before I roll back (knocked the blades off too many times  with it running ::)).  Everyone stays behind the head when the blade is running.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WV Sawmiller

Jeff,

Glad you are okay. This sounds like what we called in the industry a Near Miss which just by the grace of God you were not hurt due to nothing you really did to prevent the incident. When I used to have things like these happen on the job I had the individual give a class to the rest of the team which is what you have just done. The person involved is the best to explain. I bet you are more diligent about shutting off the blade next time.Thanks.

Looks like a good candidate thread for Health and Safety too.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sawguy21

:o I imagine that got your attention, it's all too easy to get complacent.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

scully

That is scary ! Glad you dodged that one ! 
I bleed orange  .

Percy

Glad you dodged injury from The angry broken bandsaw blade. Wasn't it your cat like reflexes that saved the day?? 😁 
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Jeff

Yes, yes, of course it was!

Chuck White

Glad to hear you're ok, Jeff!

I most-always go by the book, unless I'm sawing, the blade isn't engaged!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

DPatton

Thats a good lesson to learn from. I too am guilty as charged of this same mistake. However recently I have been making it a practice of leaving the head of the mill forward at the far end of the log when I think I need to walk around the left side. Guess you guys have been making me more and more aware of the dangers. That's why my fingers are still in the dust chute too. 
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Nomad

Glad to hear it didn't get you.  That could've been a life threatening injury.  Did you need a change of clothes afterward? :o
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

petefrom bearswamp

Glad you are OK.
Been at this sawdust sickness since 2000 now and last week had a blade break and exit the chute for the first time.
Have had plenty break but before always in the log/cant.
I have told everyone that they are not to walk  of the chute when the blade is turning.
My son and now main helper was tailing when this last  break occurred. All he said was wow.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

derhntr

Wow, glad you are ok. I never leave blade running for gig back or to adjust cant/mill. 
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

Jeff

Quote from: fishpharmer on May 13, 2018, 03:47:50 PMDo You happen to know the history of the blade?

I'm using blades yet that came with my mill when I bought is used in 2005 from douginutah.

I was in the middle of a cut when I realized the far stop was up just a little to high and the blade wasn't going to clear.  I stopped the feed, stepped around, bumped the stop down with the heal of my hand the half inch it needed, then turned to go back to the feed. All of 3 or 4 seconds it took to have it happen.

DPatton

Well Jeff I'm glad to hear that your leg wont be the next post in the Whatcha Sawin topic!
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

larrydown60

Jeff , Glad that blade didn't take a bite out of you. I had my first blade brake a week ago and it also shot out of the dust chute. I will be welding some rebar to the end of the chute to keep it from happening again.

Thank You Sponsors!