iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Air Dried Hayrack Pictures

Started by UNCLEBUCK, November 10, 2004, 03:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UNCLEBUCK

Just a few pics of a hayrack I made in May of this year with white oak boards sopping green straight off the mill and air-nailed with 3-1/2 ring shank galvenized nails . 3 nails across each board width not worried about cracking or cupping and this is the result from being left out in the sun and rain for over 6 months and I just wanted to show how much shrinkage had taken place for anyone thinking about using green lumber . It might help anyone just to look at it even for a board and batten wall . Seems to be a average of 3/8ths gap . The boards were nailed touching each other and were 1 inch thick , now they are 7/8ths thick .

I just mopped on waste oil today !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Haytrader

I think it looks good. Surely you are not disappointed. Won't the small gap let the boards dry after a rain and thus last longer? ::)

Don't see any equipment in the background that will fall through the cracks.

:D  :D
Haytrader

Frickman

Same goes for me, looks pretty good. Several years ago I rewooded a 16 foot hay wagon with 4/4" poplar boards right off the mill, average width of 12". There are now 1" gaps between all the boards. That doesn't matter much, as it'd be pretty tough for a bale of hay to fall down in between.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

UNCLEBUCK

hey thanks , from what I read about nailing board and batten siding on wide boards I thought I would just nail 3 times , one in the center and one nail on each edge to see if the board would crack during shrinking and I cant find one board that shows a crack from a nail pulling it , its all just as tight as the day I nailed it so I cant figure out why on vertical b&b that it would be any different . This is just my experiment and thought I would show the results . The two main beams are 16 feet long and have not sagged at all . Those two beams are also from my failed attempt at timberframing !  :D

ohsoloco

Unclebuck, I was just loading the firewood cart up the other day and found some braces that I couldn't get to fit right when I was building my new smokehouse  :D  Looks like your timberframing with those timbers was a success, nice cart  :)

UNCLEBUCK

No Doubt !  I hope Jim Rogers wont see these pics because he was helping me so much with timberframing questions and here is how far I made it !  :D :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!