iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Number of Cooling BTU's Needed

Started by submarinesailor, April 28, 2015, 03:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

submarinesailor

I need to replace the window the window AC sits in.  While replacing the window, I plan on replacing the window shaker AC unit with a newer/much higher efficiency one.  No, I have not ruled out something like a Mitsubishi split system - they have some VERY HIGH efficient systems.

The question(s) for you AC&R types, what would be the proper size for a 30 year old house, not that will insulated, lots of glass (4 sliding glass door (3 VERY old and one new Anderson) and setting on the north face of the mountain at about 1000' in altitude.  The outside measurements are 33' x 35'.

Bruce

sprucebunny

I would search on line for a heat loss website/app so you can enter ceiling height, window sq. ft. and all that. Must be something like that out there ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

beenthere

I have hot water radiant heat for my house, so have no air ducts to accommodate central air, so have jury-rigged a 12 BTU "shaker" in my shop at lower level and pipe cool air to our bedroom through a hole in the bedroom closet. That satisfies my need for a cool place to sleep.  ;D
Added a great room to the 1400 sqft house and have a split system at 25,000 BTU to cool that room (24' x 30' and all windows on three sides).
That left just the dining/kitchen/living area without cooling. Didn't work for me to say "no cooking" in the oven, so needed to add another 10,000 BTU "shaker" unit (first time I've heard of the term "shaker" to mean a window unit) in the dining area. Between the three, we manage to keep the house reasonably cool in hot, humid weather. But requires some set-up to install the AC units in the windows, as the windows are not the easy double-hung kind.  One is a solid glass, and the other is a large awning and both have to be removed and panel surrounds added to hold the AC units. Most annoying is that the "shaker" sizes are not standard and hard to find the same size twice in a row.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

submarinesailor

BT,

The first time I heard the term window shaker was when we got the GSA contract to take "control" of 1093 220 VAC window shakers at the GSA central office at 18th and F streets in DC.  GSA wanted motion senors to turn the window units off and on when people can and went.  I was ordering wire by the pallet loads, about 140,000 feet per order.  Anyways, it was not an easy job taking control of 1093 window units.

I'm looking for a unit that's got a high SEER, over 10.5, with over 18,000 BTUs.

Bruce

Gary_C

Window A/C units can easily be as efficient as central air units but your problem is in moving the cool air through the house. Cold air is harder to move than warm air and it will tend to sink and stay at lower levels. So the efficiency problem is secondary to moving cool air to all the places you need it.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

submarinesailor

Gary - I agree with you.  Small fans and ceiling fans take care of moving it around.

Bruce

Thank You Sponsors!