iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chaps saved the day

Started by yamaha605, December 22, 2015, 11:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

three feathers

Like I have said before, I have a BIL that is scared to death of getting snake bitten and won't set a foot in the woods bow hunting. There is no way I can get him to wear saw chaps while cutting, all the excuses too hot, to o heavy, too much trouble putting on. He has ruined several pair of jeans and scratching his leg with chain,
Some people just won"t listen until a severe cut teaches them. >:(
Jerry

woodsdog2015

Its so easy to swipe your leg or a foot..... chaps are cheap insurance and really everybody is wearing them now for those egomaniacs around us.  I remember my fifth grade reading teacher was out for several days back in the late 70's as he put a saw chain through his leg.  Pretty bad situation at the time and I'll never forget it.  My wife got me a pair when I started cutting for our new wood stove.
I'd rather be in the woods.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

onbelay02

Gents, "first time caller.  Planning on being a long time listener"  Just joined FF today and this was my first read.  Absolutely right on point.  I have been pretty lazy when it comes to chaps, with numerous excuses in my mind.  Reading this post I was reminded of the one time chaps saved my leg when I was 16.  Slipped, got nailed in the shin with a solid kick back and the chaps were WRECKED!!  It would have been beyond ugly.  I was simply clearing an escape path too, not some crazy situation.  It's what I needed to hear!  Thank you for swallowing any pride to throw a needed heads-up to the community!  You're welcome around my fire any time! 

John Mc

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, onbelay02.  Does the "onbelay" name have anything to do with being a rock climber?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

RIDE-RED 350r

I NEVER used to wear any PPE of any kind when running a saw.. Foolish, I know.

I changed jobs awhile back and got into a line of work that involves it's share of tree work. Obviously on the job we are not allowed to pick up a saw without PPE on. Between that and the various safety classes we take annually, seeing pictures and hearing stories in said classes, I am in the habit of using my PPE. This habit has carried over to my activities at home and I am totally OK with it. I don't care a rip if someone wants to break my stones about being goody-two-shoes and all that. Accidents on the job at work or at home happen most often when we are tired. And when you are doing tree work, slinging the saw and all of the physical work of it starts to wear on you, you get tired. Accidents happen fast and are never intended. I have never been wounded by a chainsaw, and hope I never have to experience that. Using the PPE greatly increases my odds of remaining chainsaw wound free.

Thanks for posting yamaha605!
Swedish, you know, like the chef.

Thank You Sponsors!