iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

safety helmet

Started by DaveP, July 09, 2018, 07:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveP

Just wondering what brand of hard hat everyone is using.  I have had a Peltor for a few years and have had problems with ear muffs.  Where they snap into the helmet the plastic breaks and the muffs fall off.  I have tried epoxy and that last for a short time.
      What would be a good replacement?

Davep

celliott

I like my husqvarna technical helmet. Had to order it in, not sure if it's available in the states now or not. But very comfortable and I especially like the visor.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Novascotiamill

I use the stihl brand,the earmuffs have held up so far for me,about 8 months now but the visor is a piece of crap cheap plastic fittings on it. Im only using it on the tractor,using the mill and of course when im running the power saw . I dont like the disposable ear plugs.
2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Lots of rigid genx5 tools
1 long haired german shepherd
2017 kioti ck2610HST with FEL and forks
Grindlux band sharpener
Wicked 55" root rake grapple
O

Southside

I use a Husky combo helmet, they work well. Took a widowmaker once with one, maybe 2" diameter, the suspension collapsed and I still got a concussion but without it I would not be typing this. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Skeans1

I use a skull bucket I told a widow maker that crushed the hat knocked me for a small loop but it saved my butt. I wouldn't consider anything that isn't full brim it keeps the rain and snow off your neck the only thing you east coast guys wouldn't like there's no ear muffs for them.

Tin Horse

I've tried most types but last year ordered a Phanner Protos helmut. Forest model. They come in a wide range of configurations. I wear it daily and will never go back to anything else. The comfort,design and options are many. Every aspect is removable, adjustable and replaceable. I got the ear muffs, visor and tinted safety glasses. 
Right now I'm building my shop and works great for that also. Just pop the visor off.
They are expensive though. However in the long run worth it for me.
It may also depend on how many hours a day you wear one.  
Good luck.
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

John Mc

Quote from: celliott on July 09, 2018, 08:09:43 PM
I like my husqvarna technical helmet. Had to order it in, not sure if it's available in the states now or not. But very comfortable and I especially like the visor.
I ordered a Husqvarna Technical Helmet a couple years ago - had to order from England, since no one in the US had them (it was odd - they had been here for less than a year, then dissappeared for a couple of years).

Love the helmet, the most comfortable one I've ever owned. However, when I first put it on, one of the ear muffs detached from the helmet. I put it back on, but it popped off every time I moved the muff off my ear. Brought it to a local dealer, who was able to get me a pair of replacement muffs under warranty. Replaced the offending muff and kept the other as a spare. Wore it half a dozen times, and the other muff started falling off. Replaced that one with the spare and have not had another problem (knock on wood) - but it has not seen a lot of use.

I am hoping the problem has been dealt with with with the replacement muffs. I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem.

It is now available from US vendors - though I've not found any of our Forestry Forum sponsors who carry it.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Greyhound

celliott

Quote from: John Mc on July 10, 2018, 07:39:37 PM
Quote from: celliott on July 09, 2018, 08:09:43 PM
I ordered a Husqvarna Technical Helmet a couple years ago - had to order from England, since no one in the US had them (it was odd - they had been here for less than a year, then dissappeared for a couple of years).

Love the helmet, the most comfortable one I've ever owned. However, when I first put it on, one of the ear muffs detached from the helmet. I put it back on, but it popped off every time I moved the muff off my ear. Brought it to a local dealer, who was able to get me a pair of replacement muffs under warranty. Replaced the offending muff and kept the other as a spare. Wore it half a dozen times, and the other muff started falling off. Replaced that one with the spare and have not had another problem (knock on wood) - but it has not seen a lot of use.

I am hoping the problem has been dealt with with with the replacement muffs. I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem.

It is now available from US vendors - though I've not found any of our Forestry Forum sponsors who carry it.
John, I wrote that post this morning and hadn't had any issues with my helmet. Used it today at work and the dang earmuff kept falling off. Fought it most of the day and finally got it fixed. It's hard to describe but the metal tab that allows the muff to snap out and stay tight comes out of place near the top of the circle bit. It took quite a bit of force to get it back into place. Definitely not obvious. Took me awhile looking at it.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

John Mc

Quote from: celliott on July 10, 2018, 09:19:06 PM
John, I wrote that post this morning and hadn't had any issues with my helmet. Used it today at work and the dang earmuff kept falling off. Fought it most of the day and finally got it fixed. It's hard to describe but the metal tab that allows the muff to snap out and stay tight comes out of place near the top of the circle bit. It took quite a bit of force to get it back into place. Definitely not obvious. Took me awhile looking at it.
DanG! I didn't mean to jinx you.
I saved my old muffs. I'll take a look tomorrow to see if I can spot that.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

mike_belben

I also have a petzl climbers helmet with muffs and screen from baileys.  The screen has gotten a little mangled up over the years from mistreatment but its been pretty good.  Does the job. 
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

How often do you guys with plastic hard hats/helmets replace them?

Southside

I do so annually - UV is a killer for sure. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Skeans1

Have any of you tried aluminum or the tin hard hats?

Plankton

I run a tin hat has saved my but multiple times with dents to prove it a few suspensions but the same hat. The only way to go in my opinion. I just use earplugs with it not as hot in the summer which is a bonus. Also keeps rain and snow out from your collar. I would look into getting one of those they were made in China for a spell but I think there made in America again? Could be wrong about that.

BradMarks

Don't advertise the dents in a aluminum hard hat if you are a commercial enterprise. :o

Southside

I knew of a guy that intentionally dented his hat to prove he was tough or something trying to claim that he had been made. After it happens to you for real it's not so funny any longer. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

John Mc

Quote from: Skeans1 on July 11, 2018, 08:31:23 AM
How often do you guys with plastic hard hats/helmets replace them?
The OSHA requirement is every 5 years or if it has taken a significant hit. Most of the loggers I know around here do follow that rule. Most landowners are not even aware the rule exists (not that OSHA rules apply to landowners anyway). I suppose it's not as much of an issue if a typical landowner goes over 5 years: One of the big factors in the longevity of the plastic helmets is UV exposure, and the typical landowner's helmet is not getting anything close to full-time use UV exposure.

BradMarks

Yes. I was alluding to OSHA with regards to dents - it is a violation if caught.  But not for homeowner/personal use.

lxskllr

I use the regular Husqvarna forestry helmet. I don't cut much, and got it primarily for the face shield. Haven't run into any deficiences that aren't inherent to the design. Sweat pours off me, largely due to the muffs I think. If I were doing it professionally, I'd probably ditch the muffs and go with ear plugs.

As to replacement... I use hard hats for work, and you can tell when it's time to replace. The plastic will flake and craze after awhile. Time for a new one then. For those, I like the MSA VGard with a vented crown. Vents don't help much, but it beats a blank.

Best thing you can do is keep them out of the sun when not in use. Store them in a bag, and not hanging in a truck window or something like that. I keep my vest and hat in a reusable grocery bag I found somewhere.

Novascotiamill

Just looked at my stihl branded lid and it is a peltor ,also has a crappy slide adjustor,think ill switch it out to a crank or twist adjustor and harness from my old work hard hat. My stihl is definately the homeowners version with no foam core
2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Lots of rigid genx5 tools
1 long haired german shepherd
2017 kioti ck2610HST with FEL and forks
Grindlux band sharpener
Wicked 55" root rake grapple
O

KyLogger

Skull Bucket tin hat here. Seven years and it has save me more than a few headaches. The double plating in the crown is worth every cent. I would be interested to see a puncture test with a spear of a widow maker on both and see how they hold up. I am probably wrong, but I do feel a lot better wearing metal than plastic. Just my two cents, others mileage may vary.

-Tom
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

DaveP

j     Does anyone use a Rockman helmet?

Davep

DaveP

Has anyone tried the Rockman Helmet?

Davep

Skeans1

I've worn that style hard hat before and honestly I don't see how you guys trust them, I've had a concussion, bit off the tip of my tongue, and got lucky most of the limb hit my shoulder with a skull bucket before I'd bet plastic would of let me be killed.

Thank You Sponsors!