iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ideas for logging trail grooming

Started by dustintheblood, April 20, 2016, 11:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

your roads are smooth because you don't have the rocks I do.  ;)  I betcha I am way more fussy on my roads than you are. I don't even use my after a day that it rains. Any wet spot I start to haul the rocks into it. I hate ruts and I do mean I hate them. I have  a hard time trying to get a road through the woods.  I have to flag it 2-3 times before I can get it the way I want it. No way even a pickup truck could go where I go. The pumpkin would get hung up on a rock. My land is a challenge to work on. Some places are real good and some are real bad.

Just a picture to show what I have to deal with. This is a real good spot.  ;D

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dustintheblood

Quote from: barbender on April 25, 2016, 05:22:36 PM
     Dustinthblood, what do you have available for pulling implements?

150 HP Case 4WD that really does well in the woods.  We have a whole selection of drags, chains, I-beams etc. 

Haven't gotten back out there yet due to other work but hope to tomorrow.

Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

dustintheblood

Drier than a witches fart here this weekend so I hit the trails again.

Used the chain drag and hand-picked the debris.  Man oh man they are shaping up well.  I'm able to scoot though them with the big Case in the same gear now, but in a higher range  8) 8)
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Ron Scott

Many good and innovative ideas presented here depending upon the grooming standard desired or required by the harvest contract at the least cost, soil types to allow and meet the grooming objectives ,and the logging equipment already on site that may be used to complete the task at the least cost.

A cheap investment in a  9 foot farm drag towed behind the skidder, tractor, ORV, or 4 wheel drive pickup works well on most of our sandy, sandy loam soils here.
~Ron

Straightgrain

Nice dozer g_man!

For my humble woodlot and in the interim, I drag my 3point winch on the way back from the deck; to the next set of logs.

When I'm done with the maple harvesting, I'll mount the box scraper on and hit the trails before summer sets in.

When all I had was a quad; I dragged an oak pallet weighted with rocks.
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

dustintheblood

After taking out the the rim wreckers:

We are close to getting things in shape:

barbender

Mercy those are some nasty rocks!
Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

That's not fair. You can move yours.  ;D  I have bunches that can't even be moved. When they was digging for the foundation here all was going well. 3 corners and was going well. That last corner slowed things down. I heard the "kunk" of something.  :( That put a stop to the digging. We kinda talked about moving the house about 10 feet to get away from "The Rock"  BUT as I said what is 10 feet away,another big rock???? Plus we have a view and did not really want to move the house. A phone call to a blasting crew did the job and "The Rock" was moved. Took 2 blastings to get "The Rock".
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Cedar Eater

Seems like a few other maple syrup makers here so I guess I'll chime in. We use the same roads year after year so I use a compact 4WD New Holland diesel tractor with a 1/2 yard front end loader and a Gannon box scraper on the back. I can fill in the low spots with sand, dig out the high spots with the bucket, smooth out the rough spots (sort of) with the teeth or the scraper, and push myself backwards out of most of the jams I get into.
Cedar Eater

Thank You Sponsors!