iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clearing Saws

Started by lxskllr, March 18, 2019, 03:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

I can't stand the blades like the one you linked that has 80 teeth. They don't seem to cut very well and are a pain to sharpen. The 22-tooth blade you linked cuts saplings fairly well, and resharpens easily & quickly (much faster than sharpening a chainsaw) with a 7/32" round file. Husqvarna calls these their "Scarlet" blade.

SwampDonkey mentioned the Maxi blade. He told me about this one years ago. It looks a bit like the 22-tooth blade you linked, but cuts much better. They are available in the US, but not many people in my area seem to stock them. I've been buying them online. Here are a couple of links. I'm not sure if these are the size to fit the brush saw you are thinking of, but they give you the idea. The difference from the Scarlett blade is subtle: look in the gullet of the teeth.
Windsor Maxi Blade
Husqvarna Maxi Blade
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Air Lad

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 19, 2019, 05:57:24 PM
These guys are using the 'shredder blade 320-2' on their FS560's and a lighter guard.

Shredder blade 320-2 - Special tool for strong undergrowth

Fs 560-550 - YouTube

Might be something to look into.
Crikey
Need to keep em separated  :o
Friendly fire could be ugly
But these look like my triple blade thing

SwampDonkey

More like a lawn mower, two blades. :D

What kind of blades to do DR Brush mowers use you walk behind?

Stay away from wire and old relic farm machinery junk in the ground. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

John Mc

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 20, 2019, 05:33:59 AMWhat kind of blades to do DR Brush mowers use you walk behind?

DR Brush Mowers use blades that look a lot like what's on a Brush Hog you use on the 3 point hitch of a tractor, just a bit smaller.

DR also sells what looks like a string trimmer on wheels. They call it a "Trimmer Mower". An option they sell for these is a 12" "Beaver Blade" (looks like a circular saw blade, but with chainsaw chain wrapped around the outer edge).

The wheeled string trimmer might be nice if you had a lot of fence line to mow. I got to try one with the Beaver blade installed. It cut OK, and might also be good for fence line or open field duty (though I prefer my handheld clearing saw). I could not imagine using it in the woods at all.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Allar

This is the blade that i use the majority of the time. I even use it for grass when i'm to lazy to change the head xD Works well tho.
You sharpen it the same way, like you sharpen your lawnmover blade.
You can use it to cut 1inch thick stuff, i have taken down up to 2inch but it takes more time and puts more stress on the machine.

Amazon.com: 10" x 3 Teeth Steel Brush Cutter, Trimmer, Weed Eater Blade: Home Improvement

This is a proper forest blade. You can sharpen it with a 5.5mm chainsaw file.
However, you do need to 'bend' the teeths from time to time to create clearence.
This is the best tool for that type of blade. Amazon.com : Husqvarna File Setting Tool 505698120 for Chain Saws : Garden & Outdoor

Husqvarna 20022t Scarlett 8" Brush Cutter Blade 323R, 336FR, 345FR, 555FX: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

SwampDonkey

For thinning dense tree stems we use this blade.

And this set tool/ file guide. Easy to file.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

I believe the 'Beaver' blade was discontinued for safety reasons, the cutters broke off too easily. I have used and liked the blade SD shows, I carried a couple of spares and sharpened them at the end of the day. Rocks and fence wire are hard on them.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

I think them beaver blades are on US websites, but not up here. I've never seen one in any shop. I wouldn't want one of them chains let loose from something spinning 10,000 rpm's. That would hurt on the leg. :D

John Mc

DR Power still lists the Beaver Blade on their web site. I never did like them. The Maxi blade cuts faster and is faster to sharpen.

John Mc

@Allar If you are using a the Scarlet blade you linked in reply #29, you should try one of the Maxi blades I linked and that Swamp Donkey showed a picture of. I'm not sure why, but they seem to cut better than the Scarlett blade. They are also made of better steel, so they hold an edge longer. I switched a few years ago at Swamp Donkey's recommendation, and have been happy I did.

I use the 3 armed blade you mentioned for cutting light, brush, and some smaller softwood saplings. I've done a few 2" pines, but generally limit myself to less than 1" softwoods. Tried it on Buckthorn, but if it's more than about 1/2" to 3/4", I don't use that style blade. It's just too hard on the machine.

lxskllr

If I were to get one additional blade to what it comes with, which style would be best? I like the looks of the shredder, and I think that would be ideal for turning banks of stickers to pieces, but will it also work as a general cutter? eg smaller sticker clumps, young bittersweet, very small saplings... I have just about zero interest in cutting grass. Almost everything will have some kind of woody component. For bigger stuff, I can carry my 2511t in a pack, and pull it out if needed.

Additionally, it looks like it comes with a 10" 80 tooth blade that looks like a circular saw blade. It looks like it'll cut great til it doesn't, and would be a real bear to resharpen. Would it be worth downgrading(?) to the 8" 22 tooth blade that looks like it sharpens with a chainsaw file? All keeping in mind my intended cutting jobs.

SwampDonkey

Yes, get a chisel tooth blade, either style. I prefer the 'Maxi' chisel tooth, on the right. Cuts better.

John Mc

Quote from: lxskllr on March 20, 2019, 04:07:32 PMAdditionally, it looks like it comes with a 10" 80 tooth blade that looks like a circular saw blade. It looks like it'll cut great til it doesn't, and would be a real bear to resharpen. Would it be worth downgrading(?) to the 8" 22 tooth blade that looks like it sharpens with a chainsaw file? All keeping in mind my intended cutting jobs.

Switching to either style of the Chisel tooth blades is definitely an upgrade from that 80 tooth blade. As SD mentioned, the Maxi style is better.

Jeremyvan

If your getting rid of mostly black berries and things like that a hedge trimmer works amazing! 

two4spooky

Quote from: lxskllr on March 18, 2019, 03:52:12 PM
Contemplating getting a clearing saw. Still cutting vines on the boss' farm, and the stickers are getting on my nerves. Been holding off cause I don't really need one for my stuff, and I like being "the guy with the chainsaw" which sometimes gets you fun work, as opposed to being "the guy with the clearing saw" which will never get you fun work. That's like being "the guy with the posthole diggers"  :^P

So... Are they pretty cool to have? I'd like something that can make quick easy work of stickers, and small saplings.  I've used weedeaters before, but nothing with a blade. Echo's 15% off day is coming near me at the beginning of April, and I'm thinking of their best unit...

SRM-410U Gas Grass and Weed Brushcutter | ECHO USA

It would take ~24 hours of working on the farm to pay it off, whereas using my chainsaws is just about all profit at this point, but absolutely no fun in the huge banks of stickers. I've been leaving them for the most part, only cutting into them so I can get to the bittersweet and other vines. Best case scenario, is I talk him into buying it himself, and I'll use it, but I'm just about at the point of getting it on my own so I can see things prettied up, instead of the rats nests of junk everywhere.
I had a similar need a few months ago clearing water and gas lines. Like you I had been using chainsaws and long machetes plus a Stihl FS 100r with heavy .105" X-line(sp?). I ended up with my first clearing saw, the ECHO 410 you linked. I am a STIHL fanboy but could not justify a comparable Stihl's added cost. The Echo has been great and fills the gap between chainsaw and blade, a real time and back saver. Well worth it. I agree with removing white plastic H(on the side) and L(on top) limiters. The Echo HD harness is a worth while improvement. I am still trying to figure out which blade type works best for my needs. But the Echo 410 has been a good machine, simple and well built. I would buy it again.                

two4spooky

Quote from: lxskllr on March 20, 2019, 04:07:32 PM
If I were to get one additional blade to what it comes with, which style would be best? I like the looks of the shredder, and I think that would be ideal for turning banks of stickers to pieces, but will it also work as a general cutter? eg smaller sticker clumps, young bittersweet, very small saplings... I have just about zero interest in cutting grass. Almost everything will have some kind of woody component. For bigger stuff, I can carry my 2511t in a pack, and pull it out if needed.

Additionally, it looks like it comes with a 10" 80 tooth blade that looks like a circular saw blade. It looks like it'll cut great til it doesn't, and would be a real bear to resharpen. Would it be worth downgrading(?) to the 8" 22 tooth blade that looks like it sharpens with a chainsaw file? All keeping in mind my intended cutting jobs.
Also, I resharpen the 80t blade with a raker file. I bought a spare 80t blade and use it to compare. The teeth angles alternate. File every other tooth then flip over and file the other 40. Easier than sharpening a saw chain well. The 80t works best on ~1/2" saplings. The tri-blade is better for our blackberry(sticker) bushes.  

John Mc

Quote from: Jeremyvan on March 20, 2019, 07:31:43 PM
If your getting rid of mostly black berries and things like that a hedge trimmer works amazing!
The 3-toothed blade on a clearing saw someone showed earlier works really well for this type of stuff.

thriceor

I have been using a Stihl FS-560 off and on for over a year now.  I don't have a whole lot of hours on it, but have had no trouble with the saw.  I use primarily on honeysuckle, it will cut 5-6 inch stems, but slows down a bit when the weight of the bush pinches the blade.  It generally has plenty of power on the smaller stuff to "swing" right through.  It is heavy and quite a workout.  It is also loud, I use earplugs and ear muffs.  

I found the supplied harness uncomfortable and switched to a Husqvarna forestry harness (not sure which model).  I prefer the "Maxi" blades SwampDonkey refers to, they seem to cut better and are easy to sharpen.  I purchased them from Bailey's.

Yes, it is quite expensive, but if you have large amounts to cut or an on-going project (like honeysuckle eradication), this is the way to go.
...I'd rather trust a man who works with his hands,
He looks at you once, you know he understands...

Genesis- "The Chamber of 32 Doors"

SwampDonkey

I have a 7 year old FS560 and a 16 year old FS550 I use every year. They are reliable, well made saws. But the harness is junk, so I also use the Husqvarna forestry harness. I have to use it with a buckle to attach it to the saw. The harness hook uses metal too soft for the Stihl attachment point. Been doing that for years. And finally last year I was able to get a spark screen that was open enough that it would not plug up in 2 days. The original spark screens were worthless. Couldn't get enough air, the screen carboned up by the middle of the week.

Air Lad

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 26, 2019, 06:29:18 AM
I have a 7 year old FS560 and a 16 year old FS550 I use every year. They are reliable, well made saws. But the harness is junk, so I also use the Husqvarna forestry harness. I have to use it with a buckle to attach it to the saw. The harness hook uses metal too soft for the Stihl attachment point. Been doing that for years. And finally last year I was able to get a spark screen that was open enough that it would not plug up in 2 days. The original spark screens were worthless. Couldn't get enough air, the screen carboned up by the middle of the week.
Maybe try using a fuel additive that will reduce carbon build up. A larger mesh sized screen seems to have helped you
Steel security door mesh has worked for me in some applications
Just cut to size with a small grinder with thin cutting disc
Am just looking into a harness for mine
The single strap is uncomfortable
Cheers

SwampDonkey

Yeah the better screens was the answer. The original ones that came on them where just too tightly woven. New one never bunged up all summer last year. I use top quality mix oil with stabilizer in it.

John Mc

Do you know what mesh size you ended up using for that screen?

SwampDonkey

This plug was off the shelf, and I have no clue, other than it doesn't plug up. :D

lxskllr

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 26, 2019, 06:29:18 AM
Any familiarity with the echo harness, or can you see anything bad/good from the picture?
Product and Equipment Accessories for ECHO units including Safety Accessories
If I do end up getting a saw, I also have easy access to Stihl and Husqvarna dealers for a harness if echo's isn't good.

SwampDonkey

I don't really like the way the saw attachment hook appears to be above the pad. They are suppose to be down over the pad itself like this in link below.

https://www.husqvarna.com/ca-en/accessories/harnesses/harness-balance-xt/578449801

Thank You Sponsors!