iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What ate my wood?

Started by Brad_bb, March 04, 2015, 09:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I opened up a reclaimed beam and found these tracks, probably 5/16ths diameter. It's lone gone whatever did it.  What was it?

I also have a couple with these holes and tracks in not only the sapwood, but below in the solid wood.  Is this Powder post beetles?  The tracks are about 7/64 diameter.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

hunz

Looks like another case of the braces bill goat, gets my lumber piles when the pastures aren't green.

I'm of no help, although I think powder post beetles make smaller holes.....
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Brad, what species of wood is that?

Magicman

I'm ah wonderin' bout da species of da goat??   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

Second pic looks like PPB to me. I don't know what the first would be.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on March 04, 2015, 10:45:34 PM
I'm ah wonderin' bout da species of da goat??   ???

:D Powder Post Goat

bandmiller2

I'd say carpenter ants wollowed out the boards, little holes are powder post beetles. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

I'm guessing PowderPost Beetles, the beams most likely had some bark left on them, and that's where the PPB's start!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

The first pic looks like termite damage.  The second pic is powderpost beetles.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brad_bb

I believe it's Beech.  This beam came out of a grainery further south along with about 9 others I have.  One of the beams was totally toast. In the center it was all eaten out and turned to powder as I milled it.  Carpenter ants in my experience leave a bit more structure in their nest with more clear defined tunnels than what I found here.  One tree service guy thought it was termites on the larger holes and chewed out areas.  We don't really have termites in my area, but this set of beams came from 4 hours south.  Most of the beams had a lot of the smaller tracks/holes.  It looks like the PP beetles had a field day with some of them.  Luckily I only this pile like this.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

DMcCoy

First one could be a borer.  All different kinds - google white worms in firewood, some get amazingly big.
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/sorec/what-are-those-worms-my-firewood
Second one is PPB.

Magicman

These were inside of a Water Oak.  :) 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You can catch a stringer of Brim with that bait Magic.  :)

SW_IOWA_SAWYER

I have some experience with powder post beetles, and although difficult to tell for sure without something to gauge those hole sizes with. I have had PBB in ash and red oak and walnut sapwood, the holes are very very small almost to small to see. These holes look more the size I see in Butternut lumber from time to time. There are many different kinds of bugs I am sure however PBB holes are very small and when you have them they leave a fine powder in piles as the exit. It feels like baby powder in between your fingers.
I owe I owe so its off to work I go....

Macgyver

I've sawed a few pieces that had been sitting around, and zipped right through a few of the creatures that Magicman is showing...they pretty ugly, but left some neat tunnels. 

I was doing a job in Manhatten last year and a guy had made a really neat table for a gallery out of what he called cypress.  Not sure exactly what it was but the slabs were practically rotten, and were loaded with holes and tunnels about 1/4" in diameter.  Those holes, combined with the fact that he was told it was a submerged cypress that was hundreds of years old made the slabs worth about $5k each...2" thick, 14-18" wide, and 12' long.  They didn't look like anything anything more than rotting pine to me, and practically fell apart if you touched them.  It's funny how wood prices can skyrocket with a story.  You might just have some highly valuable holy wood there!
Smile! It confuses people

LittleJohn

Quote from: Magicman on March 05, 2015, 09:50:14 AM

These were inside of a Water Oak.  :)

Looks like LUNCH! ...for a GOAT

CalebL

Looks like flathead borders to me.  They can stay in lumber/logs for a very long time.
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

Cypress Man

That definitely looks like carpenter bee trails. You can see the entry holes where they came in.
LT70 wide head electric, IC5 Power conveyor, transfer table, Stop and Load Log Deck, Catapiller 360B Telehandler, Cat tl642c Teleloader, Cat TH514 Telehandler, Woodmizer EG400 edger, Logosol PH360 moulder, Extrema 26" Planner, Grizzly 16" dual conveyor resaw, Prentice 285 log loader

redprospector

If you leave a deck of Pine or Fir logs very long around here the borers will get in them. Sometimes there are so many bugs in the deck that you can hear them munching away on the logs.  :(
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Chuck White

In this area, we have Pine Beetles (I don't know the species name) and they will get into the Pine logs if they are left laying around a little too long!

The only way I've seen bugs bother sawn lumber is if there is a little bark left on it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

DMcCoy

You know Magic at the end of the day sawing you might smell just like a log to those bugs. 

WDH

Are you inferring that MM has bugs?  :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DMcCoy

Quote from: WDH on March 06, 2015, 08:03:50 PM
Are you inferring that MM has bugs?  :D
Looks like he's taking a risk to me, smelling like bug-food and all.  How about a few of those in your socks at the end of the day?  If I dropped those on the floor inside the house...oh I hate to think about the noise I would hear.

4x4American

Oh yea I heard em munchin away in some pine here over the summer.  They wizzed me off
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!