iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is it just me, or does everyone have this problem?

Started by redprospector, March 06, 2015, 11:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

It is my understanding that the WM belt is made specifically for WM, and only available from WM. They are cheaper from WM than the parts store anyway. I run stock B57 belts, and only take them off because of damage or to remove pitch glumps.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

redprospector

Quote from: trapper on March 07, 2015, 10:02:56 AM
redprospector went through your part of the country 2 weeks ago.  Stoped at white sands. Sure different than my part of the country.
It's different than just about anywhere I've ever been. Some differences are good, some...not so much.  :D
Did you come across the mountains, or stay in the desert during your travels?
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

4x4American

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 07, 2015, 11:05:45 AM
It is my understanding that the WM belt is made specifically for WM, and only available from WM. They are cheaper from WM than the parts store anyway. I run stock B57 belts, and only take them off because of damage or to remove pitch glumps.

From what I understand, you just have to buy a Goodyear B57.  You can't buy a different brand for sizing reasons. 
Boy, back in my day..

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: 4x4American on March 07, 2015, 12:19:17 PM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 07, 2015, 11:05:45 AM

From what I understand, you just have to buy a Goodyear B57.  You can't buy a different brand for sizing reasons.

I been using gates B56 drive side / B57 idler side flat back kevlar and something else composite belts for about 700 hours now. I love em. Seems like 400 to 500 hours a set. The tight one on the drive side has increased band life by at least 20%. No more pitchy sawdust build up under the belt so no more continuos band tension fluctuation from the lumps under the belt.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

4x4American

Thanks B. Bandit.  The factory rep from TK told me that he has heard from half of the ppl he talks to that Gates belts work and half say they don't.  So I wonder if its the kevlar option vs the regular.  The guy by me has both gates belts and I wasn't sure which to get.  The kevlar is about $10 more I think
Boy, back in my day..

ozarkgem

I guess I better change belts. Been 10 yrs since I put them on. What does your band do with bad belts?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

4x4American

Quote from: ozarkgem on March 07, 2015, 08:42:50 PM
I guess I better change belts. Been 10 yrs since I put them on. What does your band do with bad belts?

Well I would guess their pants would fall down, but I'm not in a band anymore so I couldn't honestly tell you.  We all wore spenders anyhow!
Boy, back in my day..

redprospector

In my experience, when the belts get worn, hard, or damaged from a blade coming of, etc. the blades won't last too long before breaking.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: 4x4American on March 07, 2015, 08:32:33 PM
Thanks B. Bandit.  The factory rep from TK told me that he has heard from half of the ppl he talks to that Gates belts work and half say they don't.  So I wonder if its the kevlar option vs the regular.  The guy by me has both gates belts and I wasn't sure which to get.  The kevlar is about $10 more I think

My Napa guy says he finds that the gates kevlar belts have just a bit better wear life as compared to the Good Year comparable belt and they are with in a few cents of each other.  I actually have one good year and one gates in my spare parts box right now. B56 is Gates and the B57 is Good Year. both are a kevlar composite belts from what I remember. If they weren't out with my mill I'd go get the numbers off them for y'all.

Red You will notice 2 lines the width of you pulleys on your bands once the belt are worn to where you have metal to metal contact. You DO NOT want to wait that long to change belts and that about a 100 hrs AFTER you should have changed belts.  Premature band breakage is one result along with some nasty looking lumber symptoms and blade heating because of reduced blade speed from a slipping band. Wheel belts a very cost effective preventive measure.   

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

trapper

stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

redprospector

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on March 07, 2015, 09:27:33 PM
Red You will notice to lines 2 your bands once the belt are worn to where you have metal to metal contact. You DO NOT want to wait that long to change belts and that about a 100 hrs AFTER you should have changed blades.  Premature band breakage is one result along with some nasty looking lumber symptoms and blade heating because of reduced blade speed from a slipping band. Wheel belts a very cost effective preventive measure.   

Yep, it's just another part of maintenance. I have been guilty of overlooking them once in a while, but try to take care of things.
Most of the wheel belt damage I get is from trying to get too much out of a band. I will sharpen a band many times, and use it until it breaks. When I built my mill I didn't make any room inside the covers. That means almost every time I break a blade I damage a belt. I've got to change my ways.  :D

redprospector

Quote from: trapper on March 07, 2015, 09:32:11 PM
redprospector through the mountains
Well, if you went Hwy. 70 through Ruidoso, you were within 30 miles of my house. If you went Hwy. 82 through Cloudcroft, you were within 1/4 mile of my house.
Wish I'd known you were coming through, I would have bought you a cup of coffee.

ozarkgem

Quote from: redprospector on March 07, 2015, 08:47:42 PM
In my experience, when the belts get worn, hard, or damaged from a blade coming of, etc. the blades won't last too long before breaking.
I can't remember ever having a blade come off and they usually don't break till after about the 6th sharpening. But I will change the belt anyway. I use the shorter belt and pry it on. Best I remember.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

redprospector

Quote from: ozarkgem on March 08, 2015, 05:51:55 AM
Quote from: redprospector on March 07, 2015, 08:47:42 PM
I can't remember ever having a blade come off and they usually don't break till after about the 6th sharpening. But I will change the belt anyway. I use the shorter belt and pry it on. Best I remember.
You do realize that you could have just jinxed it by saying that you can't remember ever...  :D
Keeping good belts (band tires) on the wheels is just a good idea, and a part of the maintenance on a band saw. I was just mainly surprised that I couldn't find the B-62's that I've been getting for years. But I did learn a new trick from an old goat. Rotating your tires ain't just for your truck.  8)

4x4American

Has anyone tried the kevlar Huskee belts from TSC?
Boy, back in my day..

redprospector

bandmiller2

Red, I have found if your covers over the front of the bands are wood they will stop a band fast with no damage if it comes off the wheels. Mine are plywood put together with liquid nails so theirs no hardware to damage the band, you want clearance between the band and cover, Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

4x4American

idk I saw a belt there yesterday that said b56 and one that said b57
Boy, back in my day..

blackfoot griz

Both Gates & Goodyear make the B56 & B57 belts. My guess is that one or the other makes belts for TSC, Wood Mizer, John Deere etc.  The Gates "Predator" version is reinforced with either kevlar or aramid.  I know from industrial experience that the Predators are as tough as they get.

What often gets overlooked if any type of belt is not lasting as long as it should is 1)belt alignment is off or 2) worn sheaves.

coppolajc10

Gates' website also has a "PowerBack" belt for live roller conveyors.  Says belt has a flat back to increase top surface contact.  Seems this may have some advantages for a band.  Any thoughts on why this would be good/bad for bandmills?  Thanks, Jake.

bandmiller2

Myself I like a rounded back belt, its acts like a crown on a steel band wheel or the crown on a flatbelt pulley. Its been 12 or so years so I forget what belt I used, I think gates green stripe. Of course when your the OEM you have to figure the best belt, I forgot to write a parts manual. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

redprospector

Quote from: bandmiller2 on March 09, 2015, 08:25:51 PM
Myself I like a rounded back belt, its acts like a crown on a steel band wheel or the crown on a flatbelt pulley. Its been 12 or so years so I forget what belt I used, I think gates green stripe. Of course when your the OEM you have to figure the best belt, I forgot to write a parts manual. Frank C.
Same here, I'm the OEM. My parts manual is in my head...unfortunately there seem to be some pages missing.  :D
I have always (and did this time) used NAPA belts, with the "crowned" back for the same reason you mentioned. Seem to work fine.
I need to see if I can figure out how to fit some wooden covers on this thing. But I actually threw a blade today and was able to put it back on and keep sawing. I've got to check my bearings, that's usually the culprit when it starts throwing blades.

4x4American

Quote from: coppolajc10 on March 09, 2015, 07:38:29 PM
Gates' website also has a "PowerBack" belt for live roller conveyors.  Says belt has a flat back to increase top surface contact.  Seems this may have some advantages for a band.  Any thoughts on why this would be good/bad for bandmills?  Thanks, Jake.

Give it a shot.  From what I've been told, when the band pushes the belt into the groove on the wheel, the belt squeezes and forms a crown.  If you give it a try, let us know!  Or maybe I'll give it a try.
Boy, back in my day..

redprospector

I've been fighting the "creep-N-crud" for the last few days, can't quit coughing. But I got down to the mill today to check the bearings. Everything seemed ok so I sawed some 2x4's out of a small log. I stacked the boards and gave the blade a shot of lube, and BAM...threw the blade.
On further investigation I found that the set screws on the pillow block bearing closest to the band wheel had come loose. Chewed the shaft up pretty good. I just ordered new bearings and a shaft, I should be good as new when they get here.
For anyone building a band saw mill...learn from my mistakes.
1. Use something other than pillow block bearings on the drive side shaft.
2. Allow for some room around the band wheels when designing the covers.
3. If the doors of the cover are made of wood, you'll probably damage fewer
    blades.   

Thank You Sponsors!