iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hemlock

Started by Evergreen Man, March 09, 2015, 05:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evergreen Man

How is hemlock for use as framing lumber? The boss thinks you can't drive a nail in it once it's dried.
I have a chance at some cheap Hemlock but he won't let go of the purse strings. :(
I used to think I was crazy, then I realized: I'm the only normal one.

Bruno of NH

I built/framed my walls for my house out of dryed and sized 2x6 hemlock . Had no trouble nailing any of it with full head framing nailer .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

jcbrotz

Little hard but not bad can nail easily with a framing nailer and not to hard by hand. I go thru 80-100,000 bdft a year for framing lumber  and board and batten siding.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

Klicker

Some swear by it others swear at it  :D
2006 LT 40 HD

Chuck White

Lots of people use Hemlock around here, both for framing and for siding!

The only thing I've ever complained about is when it gets dried, it has a tendency to split if you drive a nail too close to the end of the board!

Most will nail it up "right off the mill"!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

rooster 58

I've used alot of it with no issues ;)

Evergreen Man

Here's the guys ad: "4 Pine Logs 30" at The Butt 24 ft. long .Peeled .Also 12 Hemlock logs 24' at the butt.$1000. for All or make an Offer." 
Sounds like a good deal to me, I've set it up, gonna pick them up this week.
Thanks for the feedback guys.

beenthere

Thought the Boss said "no".... 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Brucer

It depends what you call "Hemlock". The stamp on graded lumber says "Hem-Fir" and it refers to Western Hemlock and Amabilis Fir. It's easy to nail the Fir. On the other hand, dry Western Hemlock is stupidly hard -- I discovered this the hard way (so to speak). :(

I was using the stuff on my roof. Most of the boards went up fine (must have been Fir). Then I ran into a board that would drive me nuts. Hammer in a 3-1/4" nail and it would bend after 1/4" penetration. The DanG nails were just as hard to pull out as they were to drive in. Try again and get another 1/4" penetration. Fight it out, and repeat. That was the Hemlock >:(.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

DMcCoy

Western Hemlock- Tsuga heterophylla?
Used mostly for PT around here as it has a tendency to twist severely.
Just my experience.

Evergreen Man

It's eastern Hemlock :)

Evergreen Man

I talked the Boss into buying the hemlock, going to do some decks and picnic tables out of it, even if it is kind of hard when dry I'm going to use it while still a little wet, and I almost never use nails.
I made the first trip of three, kind of disapointed.

The logs on the bottom where suppose to be as large as the on on the top, and they arn't quite as nice as advertised. He agreeded to give me a couple smaller pine logs to make up some of the difference.
The bottom logs where debarked for use in a log cabin but he never ended up with enough logs and now they need to get used.
The pile of Hemlock look very nice tho.

Short story is: Nice logs good price, but not worth the 3 hour drive to get them, could of got them closer to home for the price. Lesson learned, always ask for a detailed log list. ::)

Evergreen Man

My first business deal as a sawyer was to buy a load of logs, the guy advertised a total of 16 logs totaling almost 5Mbf for a $1000.00
Great deal, I knew that there wouldn't be the size to the logs as advertised, but even if I only got half the bf he promised then it would still be worth the three or four 7 hour round trips it would take to pick them up.

Long story short, I'm ashamed to say, thru some fancy trickery, he managed to get me to pay the full amount and only provided 1800 bf worth of logs. ::)

He seemed like such a nice guy, I was to trusting.

I'm more mad at myself for not getting proper paperwork so that i could at least force him to give some money back.
Oh well, lesson learned: Get a detailed log list and get paperwork signed before you even load any logs.

GAB

If you do not know how to scale logs, you should learn and then do it yourself.  Sometimes the larger logs get measured more than once.  Mark each log as you measure it.  Kids color crayons are not too expensive.  Then compare your scaling numbers to theirs, this will give you some idea of the sellers integrity.  EXPECT that there will be some discrepancy as few logs are perfectly round.
Sometimes mentioning false advertising and the Attorney Generals name in the same sentence carries some bargaining weight.
Oh, and make sure you and the seller agree on what log rule or scale is to be used in the transaction before entering into it.
Sometimes it is better to walk away from a potential deal, then to give someone a monetary gift.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Percy

When its too good to be true.....yadda yadda

Karma has a way of coming around. Learn and REMEMBER....
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Peter Drouin

Next time get them delivered then scale them, Then you will know what you have . And make sure you and he agree on a BF price first.
Have the trucker put all the small ends going one way too.
I have them all laid out most times.

Today I was not looking and look what happened. :D :D

Now I have to spread them out to scale them. ::) :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

redprospector

A detailed list with signature means nothing. A man who will lie to you for your money has no problem telling you to go pound sand in a rat hole (old saying) if he's signed a list. To have a binding document in court you would likely have to have it drawn up by a lawyer, the cost of which would make your good deal on logs iffy at best. Then if you had to take him to court you loose all the way around.
I grew up in the tail end of the days that honest men would take people like this behind the wood shed. That seemed to work pretty good (sure put the fear in me).
My Daddy always said; "If a man will lie to you, he'll steal from you". In my experience, I have found that to be true.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chance33

My Daddy taught me to: never trust a horse trader or man with sawdust in his pant cuffs. Has served me well for 80 years.
Mahindra 4025 4wd, FEL, Farm351P, Turner portable mill w/ 25 hp Honda, Wood Beaver 16 Processor.

YellowHammer

That's a raw deal.
So what happened, did you pay him in full before you saw the logs or did you trust him to scale them or?
Good lesson learned, whatever happened.

YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Evergreen Man

@beenthere yes the same logs, looks like someone moved it for me :D Sorry to the admin for creating work for yah!

The guy wanted to stick to a flat rate for the lot. He didn't want to scale them. (first warning) he said someone had given him the logs instead of money owed, and he wanted the money out of it before they went bad.

He gave me details of the size and number of logs and I did my own scaling, it came out to 5000bf I knew it was to good to be true (2nd warning) but even if the logs where only half the size advertised it would still be worth it.

When I got there and there was only 3 EWP instead of 4 EWP (3rd warning)and only one was the size he described, he agreed to give me a couple of smaller pine logs he had to compensate. He seemed agreable to making sure there was a fair trade.

After the first load he asked for 3/4 payment (4th warning)

What I could see of the Pile of Hemlock was decent, although a lot smaller than advertised, would make up for what I lacked in EWP, but it was buried in 3 feet of snow and I couldn't count the logs. (5th warning) there was suppose to be 14 of them.

The boss wanted me to keep working while he picked up the second load of logs by himself. The Boss said that it seemed like the guy may have taken some logs off the pile, and we only ended up with 9 Hemlock instead of 14.

Still all in all, it wouldn't be terrible except that he asked the Boss for the rest of the payment, and my boss being the way he is and not wanting confrontation, payed the rest of the money. :-\

There is still the 2 Pine logs that he agreed to give me but thats not worth the drive. I asked him to either send me some money back or come up with a few extra logs to replace the missing Hemlock but he won't do it. (he's got his money now). According to our conversations he thinks he gave us a good deal and we should be happy with what we got. "I gave you two full trailer loads!" I told him in the beginning I was expecting 4 loads  ::).

I made it so easy for him to con me, I almost deserved it. Thats the last time I'll be such a fool. (at least about buying logs ;) :D)

Thank You Sponsors!