iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band Sharpener RPM?

Started by Ga Mtn Man, March 10, 2015, 05:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga Mtn Man

Does anyone know what the typical RPM is for the grinding stone (Cook's) on a blade sharpener?  I suspect that my homemade sharpener may be turning too fast.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

customsawyer

When it starts to smoke back off a tad.  :D

I have no idea but am more than willing to be a wise guy.  :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

roghair

I don't know, but normally grinding wheels turn relatively fast I think. What happens with your sharpener that makes you suspect it turns too fast? Is it still the same sharpener from a while ago?
built a sawmill

Ga Mtn Man

I often have some burned teeth.  Yes, it's the same sharpener but I took the hand crank off and replaced it with a gear motor and pulleys.  I finally got it working pretty well about a year ago.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: customsawyer on March 10, 2015, 06:21:19 PM
When it starts to smoke back off a tad.  :D

I have no idea but am more than willing to be a wise guy.  :D

Willing?  I don't think you can not be a wise guy.  :D

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Kasba

Just an idea but is the grinding wheel clean and not glazed up, my sharpener runs at about 1600 rpm. I noticed the same problem when the wheels are glazed on mine and that is when I dress them.
Timbery M285 25hp, Husqvarna 570 auto tune, Alaskan sawmill, Nova 1624 wood lathe, Dogo Argentino

woodyone.john

I got an older style woodmizer sharpener with a cbn whheel,repowered it with single phase 2pole ac motor so its about 2800rpm.each tip gets a quick kiss and the wheel is running with an oil flow on it.I dont think it would work so well for either the cbn or the blade to apply a sustained grind. cheers john
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

Ga Mtn Man

Would one of you Cook's Catclaw owner's be willing to give me the pulley diameters and motor RPM?

slider

Paul the best I can tell is 6 in driven pulley , 1 1/2 or 2 in on the rock.rpm's is 1750 on the motor.max rpm's on the stone is 6450.
al glenn

Ga Mtn Man

The 1.5" pulley on the stone would give 7000 rpm, which is over the rated RPM of the stone, so it must be a 2" pulley.  The 2" pulley gives 5250 rpm.  My stone is turning at about 4700 rpm but it's a 6" from Suffolk so it looks like I'm in the ballpark.  Thanks Al.

fishfighter

Got any pictures of your set up?

redprospector

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on March 11, 2015, 07:40:44 AM
Would one of you Cook's Catclaw owner's be willing to give me the pulley diameters and motor RPM?
I don't know if this will help. But on Cooks website it say's that the shaft of the Amish sharpener should turn 2800 rpm.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Chuck White

Quote from: redprospector on March 11, 2015, 08:38:34 PM
Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on March 11, 2015, 07:40:44 AM
I don't know if this will help. But on Cooks website it say's that the shaft of the Amish sharpener should turn 2800 rpm.

I have a Cat Claw sharpener and I use stones (rocks) from Cooks, and they are 3/8" thick, 5" diameter, with a 1/2" diameter arbor!

Don't know the pulley diameter "right off-hand", Sorry!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Larry

I bet if you called Suffolk they would tell you the optimum rpm.  I just looked and I run the 6" Suffolk pink wheel at 3500 rpm.  Also happened to read on one of the spare rocks max. rpm is 4140...you might be a hair fast. :o

After 3 years or so I finally got started on a new cbn grinder last week and about half done.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

bandmiller2

I would say the cats claw wheel is turning around 3600 rpm, the ceramic wheels are rated for 6400 rpm. The motor is 1725 rpm but the pulleys look like they double the speed. I've never had a burning problem, perhaps you have too fine a grit or the wheel is glazed over. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: slider on March 11, 2015, 08:43:14 AM
Paul the best I can tell is 6 in driven pulley , 1 1/2 or 2 in on the rock.rpm's is 1750 on the motor.max rpm's on the stone is 6450.

Quote from: bandmiller2 on March 13, 2015, 07:44:49 AM
I would say the cats claw wheel is turning around 3600 rpm, the ceramic wheels are rated for 6400 rpm. The motor is 1725 rpm but the pulleys look like they double the speed. I've never had a burning problem, perhaps you have too fine a grit or the wheel is glazed over. Frank C.

Well, is it 2:1 or 3:1?  Big difference.

bandmiller2

GMM, just got back from the shop, its tough and a pain in the butt to measure the poly "Vee" pulleys due to the guards and location. Motor 1725 motor pulley 4" arbor pulley close to 1 3/4". Do the math shouldn't be too far from 3600. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ga Mtn Man

Thanks for doing that Frank.  Looks like I need to dial it back a bit.

Thank You Sponsors!