iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS 260 questions

Started by TreeWalker, November 07, 2006, 01:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TreeWalker

Hi All
New guy here with a couple questions for you chainsaw professionals.
First let me give you all a little history about myself for future references, cause I'm sure I will be asking for advice from time to time here.
I normally run Stihl saws, I started out using an 028 for a firewood saw in the early 80s, and I've owned the 021, 025, 039 since. I've had a truck load of used and disposable saws as well, so I have had something to compare them to, and I always come back to Stihl.
For the last few months I have been running a 361 and 066 owned by another man who is helping me log my place, and I am so impressed with them when compared to others I have ran that I decided to step up to a pro saw.
I wanted an 044, and have for many years now, but my wallet is just never big enough, and I need a good saw now to clean up all the tops I have made.
I just can't bring myself to take any of the little green ones I have laying around to the woods, I know they will wear out long before I'm done doing what I have to do anyway. I've honestly had a brand new one junk out before it got its first cord cut. I just bought them as emergency saws cause I got them cheap, and cheap was all I could afford at the time.
I'm sure one of the consumer grade Stihls  would have been just fine for me, as I normally just cut firewood for myself, and to sell from time to time, so its doubtful that I would wear one out very fast doing what I do.
However, having always been kind of a chainsaw addict (not like some of you though:) I had to have a pro model this time, even if it is a little one. I ended up getting a MS 260-Z and this is what I have the questions about. I noticed that there are MS 260 and also MS 260-Z and a couple of others with different letters at the end of the model number. My question is this, what do these letters mean, and specifically whats the difference in a MS 260 and a MS 260-Z?
Also, I wanted an 18" bar on my saw so they charged me a little more and installed one. When they brought it out I noticed it said Farm Boss on the side of it, so I asked whats the difference in this bar and the one a MS 260 would normally come with, and he told me none other than the paint job. I still didn't like it, but since I didn't want to offend the man who may someday have to work on it I just blew it off, and if it is the same it really don't matter I guess.
However, when a couple of my friends saw it they said it isn't the same quality of bar as what a pro Stihl comes with, is this true?
I can't imagine my dealer being dishonest with me, I've dealt with him for many years now and he seems like a good guy, but if he is a liar I would like to know so I can find a different one, as would most of you I think.
I've enjoyed reading many of the posts here and I've only just started reading them. Its great to have a place like this were us beginners can learn from the professionals who actually make a living with their saws!
I would appreciate any help you all could give me with these questions. I've tried finding out for myself by doing many, many online searches and haven't had any luck, except for finding this group. :)

Thanks for Your Time!
Pat

Dan_Shade

does the bar have any numbers on it?

my opinion is that bars are cheap (until you get to the LONG ones), the powerhead is where you should be concerned.  I have a MS260 pro, I like it, some say they are "old" designs, but it serves it purpose for me.

If it's a stihl bar, and has a sprocket tip, I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. :)

welcome to the forum.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

TreeWalker

Quote from: Dan_Shade on November 07, 2006, 01:20:55 PM
does the bar have any numbers on it?

my opinion is that bars are cheap (until you get to the LONG ones), the powerhead is where you should be concerned.  I have a MS260 pro, I like it, some say they are "old" designs, but it serves it purpose for me.

If it's a stihl bar, and has a sprocket tip, I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. :)

welcome to the forum.

Hi Dan
Its a bar for their farm boss line, the numbers are 3003 002 7017.
Its not really about money, its more of a trust issue really. If a man will lie to you once, he will again if it is to his advantage imo. I just have a big problem with liars, not that thats what happened here. Its just that my friends do know enough about saws to rebuild them, and have worn out more than a few good ones themselves, so it just put doubts in my mind as far as what the dealer told me. Personally, all I know about saws are how to start them and cut wood with them. I am just wanting to know if should trust my dealer or not. If I ask him a question I want an honest answer, I prefer giving my money to a strait shooter.

As far as the MS 260 being outdated some how, I would rather have a proven design than the latest new one, just incase the new one doesn't pan out.
I've heard and read only good things about the MS 260 so far, but again I don't know that much about saws. I was considering a bigger Husqvarna as I could get a lot bigger pro saw online for the same price as the MS 260.
I decided against it as I can't work on a saw myself, so I need a good dealer.
Plus at the dealer the same Husqvarnas were around a hundred dollars more than online. Since I'm use to running Stihls its probably better that I got another one this time anyway. I think my next one will be a Husqvarna or a Jonsered though, cause I need a bigger one and they have a good rep and are cheaper, plus it would just be cool to try something new. 
Its good hearing that you like your saw, and I agree the head is the most important thing, thats why I'm so curious about the different model numbers on the MS 260s. I liked my 025, so I think I will end up liking this one allot too.
Thanks for taking the time to respond and your welcome!

Pat

macpower

Treewalker,
The usual bar on a MS 260 Pro, in my neck of the woods at least, is a 3003 000 6817. Same specs. same price, as the  3003 002 7017, Just a different paint job.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

pbuehning

Farm Boss or Rollomatic E are the same,  the next step up and a bar to be really considered is the Rolomatic ES.  It's a solid bar (as compared to a laminate) with replaceable Sprocket tip.  GB also makes a great one.  Baileys has some good ones at good prices.
MS361C-Q (muff mod), MS200 (rear handle),026 (muff mod), MS290, (3)SXL-AO, 030AV, couple of old poulans and ??? # of projects

ComputerUser

No worries, you weren't lied to.  As others indicated, the FarmBoss bar is just a Rollomatic E bar with different words on it.  It is a very good bar for a laminated bar and should be just fine for your purposes.  In fact, it is probably the best choice on a 260, since it is lightweight.

The next "step up" would be a solid (non-laminated) bar with a replaceable sprocket tip.  They are solid steel and more durable in an absolute sense, but they also cost more and weigh a lot more.  You could run one on your 260, but why add the extra weight if you don't need to?  These are often sold as standard equipment on 440 and larger saws.  Stihl's Rollomatic ES bar would be an example of a solid bar, as would Oregon's PowerMatchPlus, GB ProTop and Titanium, Windsor SpeedTip, and Total SuperBar.

I've always run Rollomatic E bars on my smaller Stihls until recently, when I got a really good deal on a very lightly used 16" solid bar and a bunch of new .325 .050 loops.  I, too, once got a FarmBoss bar and didn't like the words so I sanded them off!

MDP

Pat, don't sweat the bar it just has different paint job on it, but be sure to keep the bar tuned, in other words keep the rails snug and square, a good dealer should have the equipment to do these tasks and I would maybe have it checked every 6 months or so depending on how much cutting you do. Also I would strongly recomend running premium gas and stihl or husky mix oil or even a good synthetic if you don't already, these saws even though small are high performance and are engineered to run on premium gas they run cooler and build up a lot less carbon and last longer on the good gas.

TreeWalker

Its good to know my dealer didnt pull one over on me. Next time I see my buddies I'm going to see if they still want to bet, since one of them said he would bet on it lol. I cut up a bunch of 20"+ oak logs that were not good enough for the mill with it yesterday, it buzzed through them a lot faster than I thought it would.
I think I'm going like it better than the 039 I had for firewood cutting.

Thanks for the info on the bar everybody!
           Pat

logbutcher

Good choice for a small pro all-around saw. I use it all the time now with an aging lower back (too many macho  ::)stupid things in the past catching up). I've taken the advice of the Scandinavian loggers using a shorter bar for EVERYTHING 16"-18". Not good in the Northwest with 3' DBH trees !
For winter use below ~ 40 F be sure to change to the winter carb air flap on the cover (it's in the manual). Get the nylon filter for non-dry/dusty use such as frozen or snowy ground.
Sharpening: the Pferd sharpener (SharpForce for Husky) to get the chain and raker at the same time. Neat tool, simple to use for any saw or chain.
Oh yeah:  PPE

jokers

Quote from: TreeWalker on November 07, 2006, 01:06:56 PM
However, when a couple of my friends saw it they said it isn't the same quality of bar as what a pro Stihl comes with, is this true?
Your friends are slightly mistaken here, Stihl no longer makes a .325 ES bar and the bigger pro Stihls are outfitted with ES bars. The ES bars are substantially better than the laminate bars but don`t sweat what you can`t change. When the Stihl laminate bar wears out I would opt for something else as a replacement. I personally think that the Oregon Pro Lite is a better bar but I also like the PowerMatch, GB Pro Tops or Windsor Mini Pros if you are lucky enough to find one. I still wouldn`t be too concerned because as long as your tip doesn`t seize on the Farm Boss bar it will last you a long time.

Thank You Sponsors!