iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ryobi cordless tools - Good or bad luck?

Started by Saki, November 23, 2006, 09:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

I assume you got the royobi +1 kit that is on sale at the big stores this week.

I  bought the drill, light, sawzawl, circle saw  2 battery kit at a sort of pawn shop called cash converters for 100 bucks, came in a nice carry bag and was new boxed and sealed.  I love it   now I know it is homeowner not commercial grade but has performed well up on the scaffold putting in the new rakes during the front roof job.  The circle saw cuts real nice.   And just for info I was upgrading from my ancient makita 7.2. :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Engineer

Interesting experiment, somewhat unexpected, happened today.

I was trying to drill a 1-1/4" diameter hole in a piece of 6x8 pine, sideways across the grain.  Figured the new 18V Ryobi drill would be able to ram the auger bit in with no problem.  Boy was I wrong.  Keeping in mind, the only thing that drill has been used for is to stir 2 gallons of paint with a paint paddle, so virtually no battery use.   It only went in about two turns before it stopped dead and wouldn't spin the bit anymore.  Even on the "drill only" setting and not a standard clutch setting. 

So I grabbed my 12V Hitachi impact driver and proceeded to bury that bit six inches deep in a few seconds.   I guess the Ryobi will be relegated to paint stirring for the rest of its' life.....  :(

mike_van

Engineer, you are so right, i have 3 drills, a 12V B&D that i won as a prize, my old 12V Milwaukee, and a new 18V Dewalt.  The B&D is the "paint stirrer"  The keyless chuck ring is so small you can't get a grip to tighten it.  Tapping trees, it does about 8 holes & it's dead.  The Milwaukee does  about 16, and the Dewalt  30 or more.  As with most things, you get what you pay for -  :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

BBTom

Mike, I use a real sharp auger bit and can get close to 90 trees with my DW 18v drill.  Unfortunately Irwin no longer manufactures that tapping bit.  It is a double cutter w/ single flighting that worked great for wet wood. 

Sorry to jump off topic.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

sawmill_john

I've had my ryobi 18 volt drill for for at least 5 years, I bought it when I replaced my deck, I've had no problems with the drill, and since have been using it at work, it keeps up with the dewalts when driving in tek 5's in 1/4" steel angle.  About a year ago I bought the impact and now I don't use the drill unless I have to. But I mostly drive smaller sheet metal or selftapping screws, definatly not extreme heavy duty, although it has taken some good drops and seems to keep on screwin'.

john

TexasTimbers

I hate to get off topic here too but what do you guys mean "tapping trees"?

I only do this on big cedar to see if they are hollow inside. Are y'all doing this for tapping maple trees for syrup?

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

BBTom

Yep, you guessed it!  I have one of those engine drills to tap the maple trees, but it wears out a man just to carry it thru the woods all day.  The 18V cordless drills are armsavers when drilling 300-400 tapholes in trees a day.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

TexasTimbers

I thought this would fit close enough here that no new thread was necessary.
On page 90 of Woodworkers Journal there is a cool article.

Jesse James and the Discovery Channels Monster Garage, filled the trunk of a 1962 Bela Air with 384 Milwaukee V28 Lithium Ion batteries, the exact same unmodified ones they use in their tools and wired them together, then to a pair  of electric motors. The whole shameel produced 336 VDC and 3000 amps! Thats with 3 zeros behind that numeral!
Well it was just too much it just smoked the tires, so they de-tuned it and got the tires to get enough traction to run a 14.53 second 1/4 mile.
To do it with NiCad technology they would have hgad to use at least 2000 lbs of batteries.
they quoted David Selby (of Milwaukee) as saying that as " a pure energy source density...." Li-Ion is two to one over NiCad.
Li-Ion will come down in price and wipe out the NiCad technology. That was from me.
Investors will note that Li-Ion technology is in it's infancy, and will gobble up many mnay more markets other than just power tools.  ;)

WH_Conley

Just checked with the little store down the road, they sell Interestate batteries, owner called the route man and he priced rebuilding my 19.2 Craftsman batteries at $65.00 a piece. OUCH.
Bill

TexasTimbers

Saki

Used the saw some over this last weekend,and I really like it. Wasn't doing any heavy duty cutting, but it seemed to perform real nice. Look forward to trying the other stuff out.

brdmkr

I tried that little circular saw recently.  It didn't seem like it was made that well, but it sure cut well.  I plan on getting a couple more batteries so I can always have one fully charged.  It cut great on 1x stuff.  I was pleasantly surprised.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Thank You Sponsors!