iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help! never done this before logging trucker needed

Started by Left_Coast_Rich, August 18, 2005, 06:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Left_Coast_Rich

Got a call from my local tree service today, says he has 3 -200' pines that need to be taken down and wants to know if I want the wood???    8) 8) 8)  Like a duck on a june bug...  That is the easy part.  The tree's are near Grant's Grove (no not in the park) and are 48" dbh.  A little to big for my mizer but that never stopped me yet.  Problem  I don't know any logging truckers in the area.  Last time I went to the mnts the trucks were running  but I never flagged one down to see who they were.  First thing is to get set up for transportation.  Again where there is a will there is a way. .What is a reasonable amount to pay for trucking.  The tree service will load the trucks and I have equipment to off load them at home. So the hard part is taken care of.  I just have not had any experience in the delivery end of logs.  What should I look out for?  Where are the trouble areas?  Where can I get had because of lack of experience?   Is there a standby fee for taking too long to off load?  Is there a written contract for delivery?  I don't mind paying for an education.  Just not all at once!.   LC Rich.   

Also, should these logs go to the big mills?  Sometimes there is more money to say that way than to do it yourself.
I know more today than yesterday less than tomorrow.

beenthere

Which 'pine' are they?
Monterey, Ponderosa, Sugar, Digger, Jeffrey, Western white??

If finding a trucker is the need, can you go hang around some sawmills and talk to some of the truckers unloading there, or get the name and phone number off the truck, then ask them if they would do some trucking for you on the side? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Frank_Pender

You might also check with the California Log Truckers Assoc. to find someone with a selfloader in the area.

Or, I could send one of my guys down there to pick up the logs, but they appear in my log yard, two days later. :D :P
Frank Pender

Left_Coast_Rich

Beenthere.  Tree service didn't say.   :P  so I will be calling him up for type.  The nearest logging area is 2 hrs away and I just learned that only 2 mill are left in CA>  One up north and one down south.  That covers a lot of ground

Frank,  Thanks for the info.  I didn't know there was a self loading truck and will call to see where some are.   Thanks again LC Rich
I know more today than yesterday less than tomorrow.

Tom

A call to your local County Forester will probably produce a list of Loggers in your area.  They either have their own trucks or will put you in touch with a contractor.

Tillaway

Self loaders are rare in California, I saw two in nine years of working there.  The few that are around are exceptionally busy.  Plan on about $75 to $85 hr.  Regular long loggers or mule trains are in the $65 to $75 hour range, maybe more with fuel costs.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Rockn H

Here's a thought.  I'm not sure about the rates where you are, but I would check with some wrecker services that have roll-backs.  The beds tilt back to the ground and they can winch 4 or 5 logs right up on the bed.  Just a thought. :)

Thank You Sponsors!