iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2012 woodpile

Started by bull, November 13, 2011, 05:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

started logging for 2012 firewood sales  4-6 cords felled,skidded,bucked and stacked log length 10' to await the processor, goal is 60 cord. I would love to get out 100    Maple,Hickory and some Cherry.... trying to get ahead of mother nature this year, last years 4+ feet of snow kicked us out of the woods with less than 40 cords.....

Holmes

Are you cutting from around the farm? What do you have for a processor?  Just curios
Think like a farmer.

clww

man, that's a lot of wood, bull!
I sold 4 cords this past 3-day weekend.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

chevytaHOE5674

4' of snow shouldn't stop you only slow you down a little until you freeze in some good roads. haha

brendonv

I cut firewood on water company property last year for a guy...this spring he went back there with a skidder and called me cussing me out about the stump height.  He asked why there was so many 2' stumps, he forgot about all the snow we had.   :D
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

bull

103 acre woodlot on the farm,only !!  Processor is a Multitek 1610 ez.......

4 ft of snow is a show stopper and no frost in the ground is a killer !!!

Moving up to 4 cord a week,,, alot of late calls for seasoned wood ..

chevytaHOE5674

Felling in the winter we shovel down/kick around the base of the tree so that the stumps are still cut down around where the root flare starts.

4' of snow is common around here and we just keep on packing it down so that it freezes in a nice skid road. I prefer working in the deep snow over the bugs and heat of the summer.

thecfarm

Depends on what you have for equipment too.Skidders,forwarders will go through some snow,tractors will not. I was able to cut all of last winter,but I stayed in only 2-3 places. This was real slow work too.Alot of long cables pulls. No 2-3 cords a week. Just really enough to keep the OWB going. Just enough to get me outside where I like to be.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bull

my skidder is a kubota m6800 4wd w/3pt skid plate.....  We are working on 2008 storm damage, fighting with 4ft of snow was a waste of time and money.....   Im not happy with less than 3 cord a day skidding !!  The maple we are taking average 60' with tops snapped off no much as to log quality they will all be going into fire wood.... The hickory is a PIA all twisted and tangled but we are making some nice firewood out of it...

bull

update dec 30 pile has grown to over 20 cords, been working in between freeze and thaw, hoping the ground will stay solid for a couple months from here on out !!  Clear cutting about three acres, to add to my vegetable garden !! yield will be about 12 cord to the acre and about 2000 ft of Pine logs nothing that great, a few nice 20" 10-12 foot butts the rest pretty much pasture pine...

Thank You Sponsors!